• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cheapest Possible Aux Driving Lights Mod

cheez

Reaction score
I decided I wanted aux driving lights on the VTX and didn't want to spend hundreds for shiny chrome crap that'll just get dirty again. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-7803-Accessory-Cylinder-Reservoir/dp/B000XY5184/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Honda%7C59&Model=VTX1800R%7C20271&Year=2002%7C2002&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=2&vehicleType=motorcycle"]I already had an aux power switch cluster mounted on the VTX[/ame]:

d1QsGFIh.jpg

So I just picked up these 18w 6 Cree LED driving lights off of Amazon for $26:

mVgty4wh.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Bracket-Light-Clamp-Offroad/dp/B00MFB7R94/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1429452051&sr=8-6&keywords=roll+bar+light+mount"]And added these roll bar mounting brackets (for 1.5" or 2" bars; you may require different hardware):[/ame]

iJwhhgCh.jpg

The resulting lights are pretty unobtrusive looking:

I9MA0DBh.jpg

But are pretty doggone bright and give me the desired triangle of light:

p4ceuE7h.jpg

What do ya'll think? (Excuse the bug guts/dirt- I got them mounted just in time to go to Austin for MotoGP.) Total project cost is right at $60 without the switch cluster; cheap switches can be had for cents on the dollar. If your setup is cheaper and/or more effective please share it with me!

Last edited:
pretty slick, I have been wanting to mount some aux lights on my ST1100 and this would work great,

Can you get a couple of night pics with them off and on?

I like the style just wondering how bright they are.

Yeah, I got griefed at Stroker's Saturday for the same thing. It's only 6000 miles old! Dang car tire polishes that front tire clean.

Really? I've not heard of that before. Seems very ironic then to switch to a car tire on the rear to double your tire life but in doing so you wear out the front twice as fast. Kinda a push on costs then isn't it?

_

Really? I've not heard of that before. Seems very ironic then to switch to a car tire on the rear to double your tire life but in doing so you wear out the front twice as fast. Kinda a push on costs then isn't it?

_

Nah, I get 25-40k miles out of a car tire. I was getting 5500-6k out of the M/C rear tire and about 8k out of a front; now I get 25-40k out of the rear car tire and 5500-6k out of the front.

It cut my tire costs down from over $1500 a year to less than $400 (~15k miles a year ridden.)

So the car rear destroys the front tire???

Makes it wear quicker by pushing it harder in the turns. That coupled with our grooved freeway overpasses means that it gets polished smooth at the lean angles the overpasses and bike prefer.

how do you tell where you are going through that wind shield?

and nice front yard! :lol2:

Nah, I get 25-40k miles out of a car tire. I was getting 5500-6k out of the M/C rear tire and about 8k out of a front; now I get 25-40k out of the rear car tire and 5500-6k out of the front.

It cut my tire costs down from over $1500 a year to less than $400 (~15k miles a year ridden.)

How do 3 rear tires and 2 front tires add up to $1,500? For me that would be only $435 in tires doing the changes myself. Even if you paid someone to spoon on the tires for you that would only add another $75. Do you take your bike in for tire changes and not just the wheels?

_

How do 3 rear tires and 2 front tires add up to $1,500? For me that would be only $435 in tires doing the changes myself. Even if you paid someone to spoon on the tires for you that would only add another $75. Do you take your bike in for tire changes and not just the wheels?

_

Yes, I take my bike in for tire changes- I don't have garage space nor time to do my own changes. They were $250 for a rear and $220 for a front (Metzler or Dunlops, didn't matter) plus $100 each for mounting. Include dyna beads and the random tire replacement from nails/debris and you get $1500.

Yes, I could go different routes; I prefer the car tire. :)

how do you tell where you are going through that wind shield?

and nice front yard! :lol2:

I look over the top... it's just a bugcatcher for me.

My front yard sucks... can't get grass to grow for the tree roots of the shallowly-planted trees. I bet yours is a bit roomier... and probably greener, Leon. I dunno, though... you could be like my cousin and have the entire extended family's broken down cars stored up in lieu of a lawn... can't really tell with you. :D

Last edited:
Don't have to cut it if it don't grow!
My yard is what grows naturally which right now is a assortment of wild flowers.
I am in the country city grass won't grow out here.

I look over the top... it's just a bugcatcher for me.

My front yard sucks... can't get grass to grow for the tree roots of the shallowly-planted trees. I bet yours is a bit roomier... and probably greener, Leon. I dunno, though... you could be like my cousin and have the entire extended family's broken down cars stored up in lieu of a lawn... can't really tell with you. :D

Try Medina soil activator with liquid seaweed for the lawn,it works.:thumb:

Thinking about getting a set of these for the BMW after I get the crash guards on. Thanks for posting the Amazon links cheez. Might even let you help me put them on.:rofl:

Thinking about getting a set of these for the BMW after I get the crash guards on. Thanks for posting the Amazon links cheez. Might even let you help me put them on.:rofl:

Bring 'em to a Pie Run and buy me lunch and we can do it while everyone's eating... :D

But seriously if you want to bring 'em up to Grapevine, my garage is your garage. I have a lift and soldering iron and all.

Bring 'em to a Pie Run and buy me lunch and we can do it while everyone's eating... :D

But seriously if you want to bring 'em up to Grapevine, my garage is your garage. I have a lift and soldering iron and all.

I don't know;where you are at I bet there are not many places to eat.:lol2: We will be having some M@Gs that way soon. But a garage might make things go smoother.:deal: Let me see what all I need off Amazon and set a time to head that way. Will let you know. Schedule pretty full till July.

I don't know;where you are at I bet there are not many places to eat.:lol2: We will be having some M@Gs that way soon. But a garage might make things go smoother.:deal: Let me see what all I need off Amazon and set a time to head that way. Will let you know. Schedule pretty full till July.

I wouldn't suggest doing it in July unless you plan on starting at like 6am and being done by 8 or so. ;)

Sorry it took so long; I haven't been riding after dark very often; but here's a video (bad, GoPro video with a dirty lens, but video nonetheless!) of the driving lights mod.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T3mcX2k3Po"]40W Driving Light Test - YouTube[/ame]

Are these different from the first post then? There they were $26. Or does that include the switch?

Those look like they would be great on a car/truck as well for a little better light.

Back