• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Red River motorcycle trails

Best place in Texas....at least on the north side. There are a few places other than that as well that are close to you. Rocky Ridge and Trophy Club.

Been there a couple of times and really enjoyed it. A lot of different terrain to play on. Big enough to get turned around on as well.

After all the recent rain, I would suspect it is very muddy!! Red river is a great place to ride and have fun.

Gary

What are you riding?

Trophy club if they are open is decent, but pretty small.

RR is pretty sandy and does pretty well in rain. Bills woods will have some puddles though which is usually the first place I head. There will quad and SXS traffic and trails are not marked one way. Bills woods isn't marked one way, but everyone usually goes the same direction and only bikes are allowed in BW. RR is so close its likely the best place within reason.

Barnwell is just as nice a place IMO. It's 20 minutes closer for me than RR so it usually gets the nod. It's also less to get in the gate, but you need the TX state sticker they sell at the gate. Trails are a little more technical and rocky. They marked on way other than a few roads you drop onto. If you stick to the single track you don't tend to see the 4 wheelers, SXS, and jeeps. The difference is travel time from Decatur area though is likely pretty significant. It's east of the metroplex just outside of Gilmer.

Either place I choose to ride I'm going to spend close to 4 hrs in the truck. If you can spare a whole weekend either is great for camping.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the input guys.
Let's see I'm re-learning the dirt on a 07 KLR 650 it's a little on the tall side for me but I'm real happy with it so far.
I've been to Bridgeport with my Jeep when the first opened years ago and did the same at Barnwell actually designed and cut some of the harder Jeep trails at Barnwell. But now I'm on two wheels and loving it.
I'll be heading up to RR as soon as I can get a free weekend and kitchen pass from the wife.
Thanks again guys.

Making a spur-of-the-moment trip here to escape hurricane Harvey and the rains on the Gulf Coast. I'll be camping tonight and riding all day tomorrow if anybody wants to join come on out. I have a spare bike with me also (KTM 200exc) so if you're short on a bike just bring your gear and you got something to ride. Just need to pay the $15 daily ride fee to the park.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Making a spur-of-the-moment trip here to escape hurricane Harvey and the rains on the Gulf Coast. I'll be camping tonight and riding all day tomorrow if anybody wants to join come on out. I have a spare bike with me also (KTM 200exc) so if you're short on a bike just bring your gear and you got something to ride. Just need to pay the $15 daily ride fee to the park.

Have fun, I would have loved to join you, but I fly to Phoenix Sunday afternoon so can't make it, have fun and if you need somewhere to crash in the evening we have room (just north of Dallas) until Harvey has passed.

Gary

Have fun, I would have loved to join you, but I fly to Phoenix Sunday afternoon so can't make it, have fun and if you need somewhere to crash in the evening we have room (just north of Dallas) until Harvey has passed.

Gary
Would have been great riding with you again Gary. The trails there are not that great for bikes though but nice place and camping was great. Was dry for my two days and that was my main criteria. Only $15 a day for camping and riding. They have water and a shower also. Thanks for the crashpad offer but I'm continuing north to check out another riding area.

https://goo.gl/maps/JLWfYp1nfm92

Camp Gruber ORV Area
Muskogee, OK 74403

Haven't been there in ages, can you elaborate on this?
Trails are set up more for ATV's. The deep sandy sections (majority) have a bunch of turn offs that are only a bermed, banked bowl and go back onto the trail. Trails are SxS width with two ruts created by the 4 wheelers. In the muddy sections the ruts get deep and fill up with water. In between the ruts it is too crested to ride. All in all not a terrible place to ride a bike especially if you live in the area. But I would never drive from Houston to ride it. This trip it was on my way north so glad I stopped to experience. Actually would stop again as the camping is nice and included free with a days $15 ride fee. Owner and his right hand man were very friendly and accomodating. Even let me stay another night and ride the next day when the park was closed. Riding was better that day without having to worry about ATV's.

Are you saying that about Gruber or RRMT? RR does have some single track left, but you have to use the ATV and SXS trails to get there. Never been to Gruber.

Are you saying that about Gruber or RRMT? RR does have some single track left, but you have to use the ATV and SXS trails to get there. Never been to Gruber.
RRMT
There was a trail section yesterday that I couldn't get to as the 4 wheelers had completely mudded out the access trail over the weekend. The owner said it was probably the best for bikes but didnt make it sound like single track either.

Okay I'm an idiot. I was at Red River ATV Park not RRMT. After seeing above I went to first post Facebook link and saw RRMT was in Bulcher. I was on Hwy 78, just north of Bonham, bank of Red River on the OK side. I Googled Red River evacuating Houston on Saturday and that's what came up. Lol

RRMT
There was a trail section yesterday that I couldn't get to as the 4 wheelers had completely mudded out the access trail over the weekend. The owner said it was probably the best for bikes but didnt make it sound like single track either.

If it makes you feel any better, the Wife and I haven't been back to RRMT in a few years because the area was slowly becoming more and more for the side by side crowd. Our past few trips out there we saw more and more beer cans and bottles by the sides of the trails, cut fences for easier access to other areas of the park, and bulldozed trails to make it easier for the side by sides to move about.

Bill's Woods is the last haven for the dirt bikes, but ever since the falling out between the Red River Dirt Riders and the park, the trails in that area had become very neglected.

It truly pains me to talk about the park this way. This was a place that I really did love to go to. Heck, my Wife and I got married there. But it just isn't what it used to be if you are on a two-wheeled vehicle. If you own an ATV or side by side it is paradise. I can't blame them for catering to that crowd. As a dirt bike rider, I would camp in the field for free, pay my two days admission, and call it a weekend. The side by side crowd is bringing a truck with a huge RV that is paying for 50A service for the weekend, and another truck towing several side by sides along with usually 1 very large family or several smaller families. I can't blame them for following the money.

Back