• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

'87 Honda TLR200 Reflex

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Ever since I can remember, I wanted a Trials bike. Seeing Malcolm Smith in "On Any Sunday" playing on his Montesa, I said "I need one of those bikes". A few years ago, I had the pleasure of buying an '87 Honda TLR200 Reflex from a fellow TWT'er.

This is how she looked when I got her:

42574051502_6e7c5d9846_z.jpg

40816951160_c028ee2933_z.jpg

The Reflex is not exactly a "real" Trials bike, although some people do all kinds of modifications to make it better for competition. I just wanted a small, trials-type bike to play on. I mostly Trail ride; and the very low gearing and Trials tires let me go just about anywhere.

Here she is next to a modern "boomerang" Trials bike.

41906406544_4267161a65_z.jpg

With the addition of good Trials tires, a new white front fender, a 9-tooth sprocket, and a cool Honda/Montesa Official Team Helmet, she is good looking and a joy to ride.

27236452987_ee2b147791_z.jpg

The TLR200 Reflex was only imported to the US for the 1986 & '87 model years. It was fitted with headlights/blinkers/horn, everything to make it Street Legal. Somewhere along the line, previous owners stripped off all of that for a Dirt-Only bike. I considered buying all the lights and making this bike a street/trail rider, but decided against that.

I was given a pair of black FatBar handlebars which I found that I really liked on this bike. I love the look of a round headlight on a Honda trailbike, so I wired in a "parts" headlight from an XL250R, along with a small taillight. You know, in case I want to do some "night-time" Trials/Trail riding. LOL

Here is how she sits right now. This little bike is perfect for my offroad dirt riding as I am "old and slow" now and just enjoy puttering around exploring.

41205891585_e7a0d10fee_z.jpg

Up next, maybe, strip it all down and powder coat and paint? Not decided yet....

beautiful bike. its on my list of "one day" bikes

Cool bike, I had both the TL125& 250s growing up almost bought the 200 when it came out

I miss mine. Bought it new and rode novice competitive trials on it. Ride it to the meets, changed countershaft sprockets, competed, changed back, rode home. I put 4,000 miles on it in a year. Wish I’d never sold it.

I was given a rough condition 600 mile TLR, without an engine, and with a frame someone had welded wrong location footpegs onto. I decided it was too far gone to try to fix up nicely. So I put the parts on ebay. $2400 later Iwas shocked at the rarity and value of basic parts. I now have 6 or 8 odds and ends left in a cardboard box marked TLR, LOL.

Shoulda kept my cherry 87' 200 from way back when. Fun bike, only one I could ride at 1 mph and pull wheelies at walking speeds.

I was given a rough condition 600 mile TLR, without an engine, and with a frame someone had welded wrong location footpegs onto. I decided it was too far gone to try to fix up nicely. So I put the parts on ebay. $2400 later Iwas shocked at the rarity and value of basic parts. I now have 6 or 8 odds and ends left in a cardboard box marked TLR, LOL.

Shoulda kept my cherry 87' 200 from way back when. Fun bike, only one I could ride at 1 mph and pull wheelies at walking speeds.

What is in your odds and ends box? I might be interested.

I'm still looking for a right side plastic cover for my Reflex, if anyone knows where I can get one?

My TLR200 Reflex as she sits today. Latest mods: new "pillow" grips, headlight guard for the XL250 headlight, Honda XR taillight, shaved seat foam to a more comfortable shape for my backside.

I've decided to attempt making my own plastic side covers, no matter how crude they look. The bike looks "incomplete" with the missing right side cover.

Wonder if you could 3d print one. If you could find someone to scan the other side and mirror it, then you could print that side. It would be a little brittle compared to stock plastics but it would look right.

Last edited:
Latest picture of my 3 Hondas: '01 XR80R, '87 TLR200, and 82 XL250R. I finally got a rare right-side cover for the TLR. I love these bikes.

Attachments

• 20210117_094953.jpg
    20210117_094953.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 147
Back