• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Not all gel pads are created equal

Reaction score
I have been an enthusiastic advocate of gel pads for awhile. Never realizing that the ancient gel pad i have would be any better or worse than any other gel pad.

The "ancient gel pad" is actually (another) horse saddle pad that has gel inserts designed to protect the horse's back (not the rider's backside!) This pad has been great on the Wee.

After adding Dirty Sally to the stable, I quickly realized that girl's seat needed some help. Got a Cycle Gear gel pad. It wasn't satisfactory but i blamed the seat, not the gel pad. Very soon tho, the straps on the cheap Cycle Gear pad had frayed and ripped.

Looking at a longish ride with no gel pad--i decided to put the gel pad from the Wee on the little bike. Ahh...much better. Remarkably better, in fact.

So, all gel pads are not equal. I'm now checking into Saddlemen's gel pads.

Side note: the old gel pad is medical grade solid gel used on operating tables to prevent blood from pooling. An MD I worked for in the 1980's saw the potential for horses and designed and sold saddle pads with gel inserts. Part of my job was to answer the 1800 number, answering questions and taking orders for the pads. It was interesting to talk with the "chefs de equippe" for several Olympic teams. (Just a little bit of interesting trivia for you. Or mebbe not so interesting...)

Lol.
Haven't heard from you in a while, Roger. You doing good?

Thanks, Kurt. Humm, you coming to the meetup next wknd?

Love my Airhawk. It, the Dan Vesel seat back, and the throttle lock are the trifecta of pain-free touring.

Received Kurt's Airhawk in time for sunday's MnG ride.

B/c of the rain*, i chose to ride the wee, whose seat I don't have an issue with. Nevertheless, i tried the airpad. It wasn't a fair try tho and I can't wait to try it on Dirty Harry (the honda xrl).

* the honda is wearing knobbies that aren't much fun on wet pavement.

Stop playing around and keep your eyes open for a russel seat ;-)

After putting a Seat Concepts on my DR and liking it, I replaced the stock foam and cover on my GS that was at 90K with one. Something I should have done 89K miles ago. Have put 10K on it so far and don't require a pad anymore. Good inexpensive option. :rider:

Last edited:
You can always go with my cheapo inflatable travel pillow option. Because ... cheapo!:rofl:

Only downside of a gel seat I owned was that it retained heat for a very long time. Maybe in winter that's great but after sitting in the Texas summer sun it took FOR EVER to stop frying my butt.

Only downside of a gel seat I owned was that it retained heat for a very long time. Maybe in winter that's great but after sitting in the Texas summer sun it took FOR EVER to stop frying my butt.

Not an issue in my case bc the gel pad is covered by a sheepskin. Which is cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Ok Erik, I'm on the lookout for a Russell.

Back