• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I rode down to Mexia and camped at the state park there once. I tried to find some decent backroads between here and there and it was a decent ride, but nothing really that spectacular.

It's basically a bunch of farm to market roads connecting some state highways. I never really found anything that I'd say was really that good from a riding perspective.

Mexia does have an old Fort outside of it that's worth a stop if you are in to history. It's Fort Parker. http://oldfortparker.org/

Other than that..it's not a bad ride and probably more fun than Interstate, but I didn't find anything worth talking about too much. I think I took Interstate home.

You're going farther than I did though. There may be something good south of Mexia that is worth it. Hopefully others from that area can chime in for that.

Last edited:
Thinking about riding down and having lunch with a buddy in Huntsville on Monday, then riding around in the forest a bit before coming back home.

I don't really want to take the direct route via I45, any other good suggested routes between here and there?

I was thinking back roads to Mexia, Jewett, Centerville, Midway, etc.

Also, any good roads to hit around the forest there? Paved stuff, going to take the VFR.

You buying me lunch, lol! Not a bunch of roads here, but take FM 1374 from Huntsville to New Waverly, FM 1375 from there to State 149, go to Montgomery then turn and run 149 to Anderson. In Anderson take 149 to FM 3090 to 244 I think to Carlos. Get a drink of choice at Yankees with other bikers if you're lucky that day. Should be able to run to 39, then north. take 21 to Madisonville get on eastside of 45 for best roads. 75 to OSR right to 232 to 1119 to 811 to tx 7. Right to 1511 then on your own, lol

Check out these routes. You should be able to open the two GPX files inside. If not, let me know and I will upload each route as an individual file.

Both routes have a mix of county roads, FMs and state highways. Unless it is muddy, you should be fine if you have 50/50 tires on the bike. Almost everywhere along the route it would be easy to abort and go around a bad spot if you encounter one, or even if you just find yourself needing to do more pavement to make better time.

The only part that might even be remotely challenging is the section in the forest between FM 1374 and FM 1375, and that is just one mud hole that I was able to get around on my 1200 GS without issue.

On the return route, there is a nice new Smiley's Shell station in Bedias with clean restrooms... and ice cream :trust:

Attachments

• Jarrett Hville Ride.gpx
    930.9 KB · Views: 316
You buying me lunch, lol! Not a bunch of roads here, but take FM 1374 from Huntsville to New Waverly, FM 1375 from there to State 149, go to Montgomery then turn and run 149 to Anderson. In Anderson take 149 to FM 3090 to 244 I think to Carlos. Get a drink of choice at Yankees with other bikers if you're lucky that day. Should be able to run to 39, then north. take 21 to Madisonville get on eastside of 45 for best roads. 75 to OSR right to 232 to 1119 to 811 to tx 7. Right to 1511 then on your own, lol

This. ^^ cept Ask your buddy to meet you at Yankees in Carlos, then ride 3090 to and fro. Then down through sam Houston forest to Montgomery. Grab a stbx in lake Conroe, then fly home on 45.
Monday is Veterans Day. Would need to double check if Yankees would be open.

Last edited:
I too have dirt routes but understood you to say wanted all pavement!

Ahhh... I did not realize you were hoping to stay all pavement. That really takes a lot of the fun out of any riding between here and there. There are not many fun paved roads in the area, meaning anything with posted curves at 30mph or less :-P

Back