• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-Strom owners thread

I did mine myself, but I'd bet darn good money that Frank over at Monkey Wrench would have you in VERY good hands. If I can't do the work myself on my bikes, Frank is always my first choice.

I hope! Frank's got my VStrom right now.

Another here for Monkey Wrench. For the times I haven't had the time to do jobs myself I've taken it to Frank and been very happy with the service.

Any shop recommendations or expertise in this? :trust:

Follow-up on this. Just got my VStrom back from Frank at Monkey Wrench this morning. Excellent work as usual, doing valve adjustments & a host of other other overdue maintenance items. Bike runs great, & it came in at $100 under the estimate.

Follow-up on this. Just got my VStrom back from Frank at Monkey Wrench this morning. Excellent work as usual, doing valve adjustments & a host of other other overdue maintenance items. Bike runs great, & it came in at $100 under the estimate.

Thanks for the follow-up. He gave me what seems to be a fair estimate. After a little more research on the head bearings, caged balls vs tapered roller, I think I just want to do this no matter what. If it sorts out the low speed wobble, great, if not I will not have to service these again in the near future.

THANKS!

Thanks for the follow-up. He gave me what seems to be a fair estimate. After a little more research on the head bearings, caged balls vs tapered roller, I think I just want to do this no matter what. If it sorts out the low speed wobble, great, if not I will not have to service these again in the near future.

THANKS!

The difference it will make will almost make you mad at the fact that Suzuki put ball bearings in that application from the start. It is one of the better things you can do to a Strom if you ask me.

The difference it will make will almost make you mad at the fact that Suzuki put ball bearings in that application from the start. It is one of the better things you can do to a Strom if you ask me.
& not just Stroms.....lots of Japanese bikes come stock with ball bearings on the steering head shaft.... Ive seen very notchy conditions on one of my bikes.... & now think my 14 Tenere is showing signs too...at only 24k

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Dfw. You mentioned this to me on another thread. I inspected my cadged style rear chain side roller bearing and found no damage. I see what you mean about the old style bearing. I juiced it with a little grease and good to go. Just up on 4k miles now.

Dfw. You mentioned this to me on another thread. I inspected my cadged style rear chain side roller bearing and found no damage. I see what you mean about the old style bearing. I juiced it with a little grease and good to go. Just up on 4k miles now.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same things. The steering head is the only place I know of one the Strom that uses that style of caged roller bearing where it should be tapered roller bearings. The rear wheel should all be normal ball bearings (that is if I understand which part you are talking about).

If we are talking about steering stem bearings and you are only at 4k miles, they will go longer than that before it is noticeable but they will get very rough on the races where the ball bearings just sit and get beat on over and over again.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same things. The steering head is the only place I know of one the Strom that uses that style of caged roller bearing where it should be tapered roller bearings. The rear wheel should all be normal ball bearings (that is if I understand which part you are talking about).

If we are talking about steering stem bearings and you are only at 4k miles, they will go longer than that before it is noticeable but they will get very rough on the races where the ball bearings just sit and get beat on over and over again.

Just that I thought the rear wheel bearing would have a sealed needle style rather than what I am calling a caged style like this .
Which is what I found in the rear bearings
HD0022__18397.1403974416.320.320.jpg

Attachments

• HD0022__18397.1403974416.320.320.jpg
    HD0022__18397.1403974416.320.320.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 239
2013 ADV owner here. Question for the Strom hive mind-has anyone done a suspension upgrade? I'm seriously considering swapping out the stock set up for a full Cogent kit, but I'd like to hear from someone with real world experience first.

Ive got a Wilbers rear shock on my 12 650
Rebuilt/sprung for my weight & riding by Sasquatch. Pretty good diffetence compared to stock. The stock forks still need some help tho.
& ..a friend had his 06 1000 stock suspension completely rebuilt/modded by Sasquatch...best bang for the buck he spent. Totally transformed the bike. Wish I could put some modded DL1K cartridge forks on my 650
They actually are the same 43mm dia so should slide rite into the tree. Brakes are same...fender too. Axle is larger but since the early 650 & 1000 shared wheels...a bearing swap & spacers ta match. Only hitch is the 650 speedo drive.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
gourdhead just start with a spring update and change oil with a good brand on the front that's all i did ( 2015xt) and it works good for me at 250 lb, the last 8 months i have been riding two up just dialed the springs up a little to compensate and i am good, you just have to remember the forks are not state of the art so why waste to much money on them. rear shock can be rebuilt by a shop requires drilling and valve install don't remember who does it.

Aaron

2013 ADV owner here. Question for the Strom hive mind-has anyone done a suspension upgrade? I'm seriously considering swapping out the stock set up for a full Cogent kit, but I'd like to hear from someone with real world experience first.

Give me that link to the fork stabilizer you showed me on yours on the hc500 run.

Finally, after 7 1/2 months I'm able to ride the Wee again...had a bad fall (not mc related) and broke my hip(4-14-18) and had a full right side hip replacement on 4-15-18.

Finally able to swing my still gimpy hip/leg over the seat to ride. The bike was sittin' for 8 months with old gas in the tank but it didn't miss a beat... put fresh fuel (4.02 gals.) and no stumbling, missing or lurching...it sure feels good to be riding the Wee. :rider:

Last edited:
I had to take a 6-week layout in January, and about a 13 week layout in the fall, for separate surgeries. Both times, it sure felt good to be back in the saddle!

I was down for 6 weeks in the spring for knee surgery. Then it was a bowl blockage, shoulder surgery and more surgery in September. But, like you I'm back in the saddle and plan to do the ride to Gatesville this Sunday.

It was 36 degrees yesterday morning. The thermometer nanny was flashing on the dashboard saying "don't do it" with the frost symbol. I hit the one touch starter and it just continued to crank. After a another try it acted like it wanted to start, and did after another try. The kind of moment where you get that heart drop feeling. It later occurred to me that I should have cycled the key switch a few times to maximize the fuel pump pressure for the injectors. I reckon the sluggish cold fuel did not want to pressure up very quickly.

Back