• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Living the Dream!

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Pee Paw's Scooter Shop has A/C I am a real boy. I know we all want shops and lifts and tools and toys, but the A/C has me pretty excited. They just finished the install and it is blowing cold air pretty well in the shop. In a few hours it will be cooler in there. The guys did a great job, used Rafter-H to do the install.

I almost cried, but I think I am past it, I figure this evening I will work on scooters, drink beer and listen to tunes. Indeed life is good on planet Pee Paw.

20180623_0938411.jpg

20180623_121512.jpg

20180623_121526.jpg

20180623_1224273.jpg

I am still trying not to cry, I may spend the night out there. Lots of bike work going on, when it is cool it goes faster.

Once you have A/C in the shop, there’s no going back!! I love it!

Got a minor issue they are coming back to fix. Loving it, getting cooler every minute

Shop has spray foam, like styrofoam only much stiffer. Plus half is in the shade almost all day. I admit it was in the middle 80's in there today. It was almost 100 outside, so it felt like winter in the shop. I am a happy boy. Did I mention it is a heat pump? So winter will be better as well.

Shop has spray foam, like styrofoam only much stiffer. Plus half is in the shade almost all day. I admit it was in the middle 80's in there today. It was almost 100 outside, so it felt like winter in the shop. I am a happy boy. Did I mention it is a heat pump? So winter will be better as well.

Can you get it down more ? (How cold can you go, enough insulation? ) Or is that cool enough for you. I'm thinking closer to 80. Understand if trying to sensibly economize.

I think that is all we are going to get. It is a 1500 square foot building with 12 foot walls. So I think we are the limit of what she can do. I am very pleased with 84-86 or so. I need to see what it does this week and I will know what I need to do. I guess if I had to I could put some more foam on the ceiling, but the walls aren't really hot. The doors are about 3-5 degrees warmer than the walls, so I will work on sealing that a little better. The air coming out of the plenum is 51 or so degrees, so I am pretty happy with the result. I hope that answers the question.

Very nice. I have a friend that is in the A/C business and has had a climate controlled work area for about the last 15 years. This last time he walled off a space in his shop where his lift is and just put A/C in that space so he can really cool it. I am always amazed at how much more work we get done when working in the A/C.

I think that is all we are going to get. It is a 1500 square foot building with 12 foot walls. So I think we are the limit of what she can do. I am very pleased with 84-86 or so. I need to see what it does this week and I will know what I need to do. I guess if I had to I could put some more foam on the ceiling, but the walls aren't really hot. The doors are about 3-5 degrees warmer than the walls, so I will work on sealing that a little better. The air coming out of the plenum is 51 or so degrees, so I am pretty happy with the result. I hope that answers the question.

Doug not really my business but if the air coming out is 51 deg and going in is 85 that is at least a 30 deg. split. should be 20 to 23 depending on humidity. Your numbers indicate not enough air flow either blower is not on high speed or not enough outlets for CFM which should be roughly 400 cfm/ton like 3ton unit = 1200cfm. Too cold of air or too large of delta T between return air and supply air indicates not getting total capacity of unit. A dirty filter can give same results but yours is new. I would guess fan is not on high speed and maybe need another supply outlet, or both. Never put an outlet in end cap of supply plenum, that wipes out the static pressure. The install looks good. Normally if air going in return air is 85 the supply will be around 62 to 65 degrees, That drops proportionately as the R/A temperature drops, These numbers are for a system doing nominal cfm and is charged correctly with Freon. It could also be the temperature measuring devise is off. Full tonnage is not always indicated by colder supply air temps and yours to me indicate low cfm, Really looks like a great install. On blower Wiring usually White =common, blue = medium speed red = low speed and black = high speed. One more thing always make sure supply air is not blowing directly into return by not directed well or bouncing off an object. This is call short circuiting air.

Doug not really my business but if the air coming out is 51 deg and going in is 85 that is at least a 30 deg. split. should be 20 to 23 depending on humidity. Your numbers indicate not enough air flow either blower is not on high speed or not enough outlets for CFM which should be roughly 400 cfm/ton like 3ton unit = 1200cfm. Too cold of air or too large of delta T between return air and supply air indicates not getting total capacity of unit. A dirty filter can give same results but yours is new. I would guess fan is not on high speed and maybe need another supply outlet, or both. Never put an outlet in end cap of supply plenum, that wipes out the static pressure. The install looks good. Normally if air going in return air is 85 the supply will be around 62 to 65 degrees, That drops proportionately as the R/A temperature drops, These numbers are for a system doing nominal cfm and is charged correctly with Freon. It could also be the temperature measuring devise is off. Full tonnage is not always indicated by colder supply air temps and yours to me indicate low cfm, Really looks like a great install. On blower Wiring usually White =common, blue = medium speed red = low speed and black = high speed. One more thing always make sure supply air is not blowing directly into return by not directed well or bouncing off an object. This is call short circuiting air.

I have no idea, I sometimes wish I wouldn't post these things up, but I will look into it, thanks.

I don't know Doug or Donna but, I'm going to guess the tool on the right is not Donna's. Some people call it a yoyo because you swing it back and forth like a yoyo goes up and down.....my grandpa called it an Idiot Stick because only an idiot would cut grass that way.:lol2:

Where I come from it is a sling blade. I have cut lots of grass with it when the need presented itself. I use it when I really don't want to weed whack and I can't get a lawnmower in there. Like around my shop in rough spots. My Dad was a fan, I learned to use this and when I got really good at it, he let me use the hand clippers, then the lawnmower. I haven't been without one, ever. YMMV

Windmill...so your saying this sounds like the conditioned air is not being distributed forcefully enough about the space? (Dont know about ac other than it is non negotiable in south texas )

Doug, as long as your happy. Just getting it dehumidified is one of the best things about a.c.. glad your living the dream of an air conditioned shop!

Last edited:
I should have PM you. You are welcome to PM if you have any questions. One thing I do know that is one fine shop you have constructed and developed.

Thanks I was having flashbacks about my wiring post. I will talk with my A/C guy and see what he says. Sounds like a good idea. Probably better to post it in case it helps someone besides me. Always good to share.

Back