Notices

Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #41
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Re: What you need to go to Mexico and how/where to get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
a title for a trailer? a homemade trailer? i guess I have to apply for one at the local tax office?
You need a license plate on your trailer if you are pulling it on public roads. Even a homemade trailer. To get a license plate, you will need to register the trailer at the tax office where you get your registration/plates for your car/truck/vehicle.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #42
spidennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
You need a license plate on your trailer if you are pulling it on public roads. Even a homemade trailer. To get a license plate, you will need to register the trailer at the tax office where you get your registration/plates for your car/truck/vehicle.
I already have a plate on the trailer, but I've got no title, being that's it a homemade trailer. I've been using it now for a bunch of years .......
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #43
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
I already have a plate on the trailer, but I've got no title, being that's it a homemade trailer. I've been using it now for a bunch of years .......
Hmmm... I didn't know the state would give a plate to an unregistered vehicle.

To my knowledge, you don't need a title for a homemade trailer, but to get a plate for the trailer you have to register the trailer with the state. It's been a long time since I registered a homemade trailer, but when I did I didn't have a title either. I filled out some document at the tax office to register the trailer.

The best I can suggest is go to your local tax office where you handle registering your other vehicles and speak with them about this.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

www.texasadventure.net
Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #44
spidennis

I went by the tag/tax office and they said if it's a homemade trailer (that I already have a plate for) then to use the registration renewal receipt that I got in the mail. I gather now I'll just have to go to mexico and see if this works?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #45
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
...to use the registration renewal receipt that I got in the mail.
The registration renewal receipt is all I have ever used to get my motorcycle into Mexico and it has been accepted every time.

www.texasadventure.net
Old 02-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #46
miltonotto

My two cents

A voice of experience. I've pulled a few trailers into Mexico and I can say, all you need is the current, valid registration papers for said trailer. Thats the paper work you get when you renew your trailer's license plate. It's gotta have your name on the registration papers and your address that matches your other documents.

Mexico seems much less concerned about importing trailers than motorized vehicles. I've never come into Mexico with a trailer that had a title. Always registration renewal receipt, showing it's not expired.

Where I got into trouble was trying to borrow a friend's trailer, and haul it into Mexico. Even with a nice letter of permission from the owner, the Mexicanos said "no way!" What did I do? I magically produced my trailer registration receipt, for the trailer I owned back in Austin, and the only quesion I was asked was, "Is this your name?" As there is no VIN # on a trailer, they have no way of checking. I used to sweat that someone would notice that the license tag on my trailer back home (stated on the registration receipt I was using) didn't match the tag on the trailer I had at the immigration office, but no one seemed to care. They just wanted the name and address. I passed multiple check points. To reduce the pucker factor I learned to just trade trailer plates before leaving home with my friend's trailer. Even though it had Magnum Custom Trailer stamped all over it, it passed as "homemade" just 'cause I said it was.

So that's my 2 cents.
~C. S. Lewis

Why My Friends Won't Ride With Me

He's a tour guide, John, what the bleep does he know?"

Wrong Way 'Round the Bend 2011
Uncle's Around the Bend, the Wrong way
Harleys 2 Mexico 2009 Tour
MexTrek 2008
Mexico March Ride (2008)
Peru, 2003
miltonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #47
spidennis

interesting info! thanks guys!
this past saturday I had my tag torn off my bike somewhere on my beach ride.
$6.30 was all it took to get a new tag, plus the tag renewal paperwork and my driver's license. I will have to go thru inspection again though ......

Old 02-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #48
kiko

When crossing by land a passport is now required if you are traveling to the interior.

There is a thread at advrider with more info::

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553405
kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #49
tricepilot

This is no big deal - as is stated in the narrative, U.S. citizens already need a passport when reentering the U.S. by air, and a passport or a passport card when reentering by land.

The only piece that could be clarified is the use of the passport card at the inland checkpoints that are going to ask for it as of Mar 1. A passport card should be OK, as Mexico was a signee to the Western Hemisphere Travel Intitiative (along with Canada and 17 Caribbean nations). I'll be testing this to see how it goes...

Last edited by tricepilot; 02-23-2010 at 05:38 PM.
tricepilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #50
chiricahua

I use soley my Drivers License, bike registration, bike insurance. last trip into Mexico was 5 weeks ago. Same for driving and or towing a trailer.

But times are changing so I may have to get a passport someday soon.

"(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)******(@)

I have stickers of things that I'd like to buy for my bike, so people better watch out.
chiricahua is offline   Reply With Quote