2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:16 PM   #22
thrill-billy85
Forum Supporter

Re: Getting a dirt bike road legal

I've done it twice recently (2015)

Assuming you have a dirtbike, with no title....

Install stuff to get the bike to pass inspection
Get a letter of denial for title from regional DMV office
Buy surety bond from insurance provider (must provide denial letter)
Get insurance
Get inspection
Take denial leter, surety bond, inspection, insurance to county tax lady

Get plate

My name's actually just Aaron

1970 Jeepster Commando - No SERIOUSLY, I'm keeping this one

Last edited by thrill-billy85; 02-25-2016 at 01:02 PM.
thrill-billy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #23
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

I am trying to get my daughters CRF250X road legal, so can give an answeer in the next 2 weeks!!

Gary
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
05 & 06 CRF450X (spares for friends!)
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #24
thrill-billy85
Forum Supporter

If you already have a title, it's a piece of cake

Put the necessary lights, horn, etc on it. (Blinkers not reqd in TX)
Get insurance
Get inspection
Get plate

Last edited by thrill-billy85; 02-25-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #25
MidlifeCrisis

Just did it with my Beta 300RR. Easy... and it's a 2smoker no less. Toughest part was the inspection. I took it to my nearest place, a jiffy lube. Couple of guys there ride so they were real friendly. Still, he tried to deny me because of the knobby tires, till I showed him the DOT markings on the tire. But... he didn't say anything about my not having any license plate light, which is a requirement.

So... make sure you go over the check list and be prepare to refute the inspector, if necessary. Some are easy going, some less so.

Same at the tax accessor's office. Some have experience with the process, some not. Be prepared to help explain to them with what they need to do for you, so do you homework up front and print out some docs that list the procedures to bring with you just in case. I suppose it's their job to know already, but honey goes over a lot better than vinegar.
'15 Beta 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200F, '05 GSXR600 (track) (Sold: '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200, '11 Sprint GT, '14 ZX14R ABS, '13 S3R, '07 SV1000S, '09 C14 ABS, '08 RSV1000R Factory, '07 FZ1, '09 Sprint ST, '08 ZX10R, '08 S83)
MidlifeCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #26
thrill-billy85
Forum Supporter

Yeah,I had to teach my tax lady how to do it.

She is a pro now.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:06 AM   #27
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill-billy85 View Post
Yeah,I had to teach my tax lady how to do it.

She is a pro now.
That's a good one!
TORCS #70
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #28
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

So can anyone explain what the tax office does need to do? I am familiar with the inspection and can handle that, but not sure what the tax office has to do? I already have an off-road title for the bike in my name, but want to make it road legal and get a plate and tags.

Thanks Gary
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
Old 02-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #29
thrill-billy85
Forum Supporter

The your title, inspection, and insurance to the tax office, and tell the you'd like to register your MOTORCYCLE (not dirtbike) and need to have the title ammended and the off road only removed.

When they say it can't be done (if they do) refer them to the Texas motor vehicle titling handbook

Page 14-14- modified off highway use vehicles----
Modified Off-Highway Motorcycles
Once a motorcycle has been titled as an off highway vehicle without registration, VTR
requires an application for corrected title to clear the remark if the vehicle is ever modified
in order to register. If a transfer of ownership is involved and a current license number is
shown in the license number space on the application for Texas title, the notation “Off
Highway Use Only” deletes automatically from the title record. Applicants should include
verification of a DPS safety inspection and a copy of the current registration receipt with
the application for Texas title.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #30
MidlifeCrisis

If anything, it has gotten easier since last year. It used to be you need to ask the inspection station for a "green sheet" (VI-30-A form) to register an out-of-state vehicle or to plate an off-hwy-only bike. The new One Sticker process did away with that. Now you just need to get the dirt bike inspected. I always check www.mytxcar.com and print out a copy of the inspection report to bring with me JIC. The online record looks to be updated the next business day after inspection.

Main thing at the Tax Assessor's office is to apply for a "corrected title". Item 13 on the 130-U form should be for "Changed in Vehicle Description". You may want them to uncheck "Exempt" in item 10, and update the mileage recorded on the inspection report, though this is not a requirement. This is only relevant when selling the bike, and really only if your bike is relatively new, and/or came with an odometer stock. Some buyers get the warm fuzzies if they can see exact mileage record of the bike.

When you are done with the registration process and handed your copies, make sure to check that the "off-highway-only" remark is taken off. If should be if you are handed a license plate an the number is noted on the registration. But... never hurts to check.
MidlifeCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:39 PM   #31
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

Thanks guys, will get the inspection done this week, fitted DOT tires, fitted all the electrical gubins, just need to fit a mirror and it should pass an inspection easily. Also need to get it insured. Will print of your recommendations to take with me when I go to the tax office, in Austin I never had an issue, but this will be my first time at McKinney so want to be prepared in case they aren't familiar with the process.

Gary
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
Old 02-28-2016, 07:19 PM   #32
thrill-billy85
Forum Supporter

Also, don't take it to a dang bike shop to get the inspection. Take it to Lopez used tires, lube, and inspection station

Old 12-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #33
JoePieper

I am wanting to get my wife's DRZ125L street legal. I see that I can buy a Baja dual sport kit for around $450 and then send in the stator for rewind for about $150. I've never converted a bike before so this seems a little high. Are there cheaper options? FYI i'm no electrician but know the basics.
Thanks
Joe
JoePieper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:10 PM   #34
EnduroRdr

Getting a dirt bike road legal

Is the DR electric start?
If so You already have the dc system in place. And you won't need to rewind stator especially if your kit uses low power LED lights for most bulbs. Then all you will really need is your state requirements I.E.- horn , hi/LO headlight and switch , brake light/ tail light etc. And if your inspector is tough then Maybe license plate light, DOT tires, hi beam indicator light, mirror etc.

There are cheaper kits out there especially if you already have a battery on the bike.

Some states are easy & some difficult and some next to impossible.

There are even a few states that are so easy you just go and declare it's street legal, often these are your rural towns. I had a buddy in Oklahoma just went to DMV with his dirt bike title and said I want to register it for a license plate, the little podunk town DMV just took his word for it. (Now that's lucky).

Some like TX don't require blinkers. Some send you to local Law Enforcement Agency or even State Police for an inspection (like Louisiana) which will usually go by the book for their state laws.

Over the last 40 years I've plated dirt bikes in TX, AR, LA, MS.
It's a little harder in LA these days than 30 years ago but we just plated a 2 stroke Husaberg for my son in LA had to jump a few hoops but got it done.

What state are you doing this in. Someone here has probably done it and can give advice for your state.

Here are some cheaper kits:

See these:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/S...eet-Legal-Kits

https://procycle.us/dual-sport/dual-sport-kit.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04 TTR125
84 XR350R (loaner)
82 CX500 - DualSport
2006 TW200 & couple ATVs (need bigger garage!)

Last edited by EnduroRdr; 12-01-2016 at 06:26 PM.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #35
JoePieper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
Is the DR electric start?
If so You already have the dc system in place. And you won't need to rewind stator especially if your kit uses low power LED lights for most bulbs. Then all you will really need is your state requirements I.E.- horn , hi/LO headlight and switch , brake light/ tail light etc. And if your inspector is tough then Maybe license plate light, DOT tires, hi beam indicator light, mirror etc.

There are cheaper kits out there especially if you already have a battery on the bike.

Some states are easy & some difficult and some next to impossible.

There are even a few states that are so easy you just go and declare it's street legal, often these are your rural towns. I had a buddy in Oklahoma just went to DMV with his dirt bike title and said I want to register it for a license plate, the little podunk town DMV just took his word for it. (Now that's lucky).

Some like TX don't require blinkers. Some send you to local Law Enforcement Agency or even State Police for an inspection (like Louisiana) which will usually go by the book for their state laws.

Over the last 40 years I've plated dirt bikes in TX, AR, LA, MS.
It's a little harder in LA these days than 30 years ago but we just plated a 2 stroke Husaberg for my son in LA had to jump a few hoops but got it done.

What state are you doing this in. Someone here has probably done it and can give advice for your state.

Here are some cheaper kits:

See these:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/S...eet-Legal-Kits

https://procycle.us/dual-sport/dual-sport-kit.html

This is in TX and I do have the title. The DR is a kick start model. Thanks for the info and links.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #36
EnduroRdr

Getting a dirt bike road legal

When I plated my XR4 it was in TX. Not needing blinkers I was able to just use the existing a/c system that had a voltage regulator only. (No rectifier)
The only challenge I had was getting an electric horn to work on a/c. I tried 3 before I got one that worked on a/c (it sounded like crap but it got me a green sheet).

So when I plated the KDX I also stayed with the stock a/c system and no blinkers but this time I wired the horn on its own isolated circuit using a tiny plastic battery box that fit behind the number plate and held 2 - 9v D.C. Batteries wired in series in it.
At 18v (9x2) it was loud! Worked like a charm.

All my lights were regular incandescent type on the 12v KDX stock a/c system. Using LED lights can be tricky if keeping a/c setup. Most LED don't play well unless running d/c.

Good luck - keep us posted on your progress, it may help the next guy.

My KDX battery box and horn:

04 TTR125
84 XR350R (loaner)
82 CX500 - DualSport
2006 TW200 & couple ATVs (need bigger garage!)

Last edited by EnduroRdr; 12-01-2016 at 07:48 PM.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #37
JoePieper

I think staying with ac setup will be my best/easiest option. Great idea with the 9v battery box. I will give that a shot. Update to come.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #38
wildernessrider
TWT Site Sponsor

I have had terrible luck with Baja Designs after market street legal lighting kits. Every bit of it was total junk! Turn signals desentagrated after about 150 miles of being bounced around on trails...not dropped, just thoroughly shaken while trail riding. Finished the day and realized they had fallen apart, then all together off my bike. Switches & wiring were also crap quality. But hey, at least it was all VERY over priced!
2016 Africa Twin CRF-1000
2015 WR-450
2015 YZ-450
2011 Husky 449
wildernessrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #39
JoePieper

The Procycle kit price is a little easier to swallow at about 100 bucks less than the Baja. I hope it is better quality too. We shall find out.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #40
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

I have used Baja kits on 6 motorcycles and never had any problems, but there headlights do not focus the beam and give a pretty awful view at night, I added additional LED spot lights which work much better. Would love to find a good aftermarket headlight to replace the Baja light, but everything else works as intended and has not caused any problems. My indicators usually get broken from spills, long before they fail as described above. One of my CRF450's still has the Baja indicators and they still work and look fine after 4 years, despite a few spills.

Gary
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200