• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pulled Over By A Nice Cop On PCH

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Wells III
Went to the Rock Store and Neptunes Net today. Lot of cops pulling bikes over because of a motorcycle running into a couple of bicyclist on the "Snake". Also for some time the sport bike guys have been running the canyons in the area like it thier own personal race track. I don't have a problem being pulled over. I'm glad the cops are cracking down. I stopped going to the canyons because of all the knuckleheads.

Video of being pulled over...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaRWElC4AiU"]Pulled Over By Nice Cop On PCH - YouTube[/ame]

Video of bicyclist being hit...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFaAqS2f18"]Motorcycle Crashes into Bicycles 4/27/2013 - YouTube[/ame]

I only visit CA these days, moved out when I was 19 and will never move back.. So Im not up on any new silly transportation codes they may have enacted.. but I'd be interested to hear the traffic code, transportation code, motor vehicle code he intended to cite you for...By chance besides chastising you with generals words of infraction.. did he happen to mention what code you violated by adding a additional brake light?

I only visit CA these days, moved out when I was 19 and will never move back.. So Im not up on any new silly transportation codes they may have enacted.. but I'd be interested to hear the traffic code, transportation code, motor vehicle code he intended to cite you for...By chance besides chastising you with generals words of infraction.. did he happen to mention what code you violated by adding a additional brake light?

No he didn't. Everything he said can be heard on the video. Just an excuse to pull us over. There are lots of guys out here riding bikes with no license or insurance.

Video of bicyclist being hit...

What a knucklehead! :doh:
good thing he was wearing all that gear to cushion the fall for the second cyclist. :whatever:
Hope that first guy makes a good recovery. Looks like more $s lost in the broken bicycles than the motorcycle.
And those cyclist were staying to the right edge of the road in single file, so they were operating within the law (at least per Texas law). Not so much for the knucklehead.

No he didn't. Everything he said can be heard on the video. Just an excuse to pull us over. There are lots of guys out here riding bikes with no license or insurance.

I rented a scooter a Mexico some years ago and was pulled over by the police for having a tail light that was not bright enough, even though it had the same illumination as the local bikes. He wanted a bribe. He was targeting tourists.

This cop in California was getting some type of pleasure harassing bikers for some unknown reason.

RB

I rented a scooter a Mexico some years ago and was pulled over by the police for having a tail light that was not bright enough, even though it had the same illumination as the local bikes. He wanted a bribe. He was targeting tourists.

This cop in California was getting some type of pleasure harassing bikers for some unknown reason.

RB

Its a tourista thing, just having fun with the furr-a-nur.:lol2::rider:

This looks like what I call "checking your ATTITUDE." His line of commentary would have drawn a negative reaction from some folks that do not appreciate anybody questioning their actions. In that case, he would have been putting ink on paper.

Just a guy doing a job he was told to do. I didn't see a problem with his attitude... he acted just like a cop to me. He showed an understanding of why the fella's had a made the changes they had and let them go on there way. It's California..... seems about normal to me based on my expereince living and visting there.

Yea i know. But its not.

:giveup:

You are of course correct.
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/VEH/1/d12/2/3/s24600
It was a max enforcement operation... it would be nice when officers are instructed to specifically target a specific type of vehicle. Or infraction, that they actually know the laws they are charged to enforce.
The law enforcement community is often quoted as saying "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" usually right before you are cited for something THEY THINK is illegal, regardless if said law is common knowledge or clearly understood.

Yet there is no requirement, or even expectation for a LEO to know all the laws they are charged with enforcing.. In fact you will often here a LEO say there are too many laws for them to be knowledgeable of them all,, when they are shown they mistaken about one of them.

A citizen should be able to issue a citation with criminal and financial implications to a LEO that does not know of, and or enforces incorrectly a law, or cites for an infraction to which there is no law.

Sounds fair to me.. with the age of instant research available to a LEO, there is NO excuse for misapplication and citing for an infraction the citizen can clearly articulate is not valid.

:giveup:

You are of course correct.
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/VEH/1/d12/2/3/s24600
It was a max enforcement operation... it would be nice when officers are instructed to specifically target a specific type of vehicle. Or infraction, that they actually know the laws they are charged to enforce.
The law enforcement community is often quoted as saying "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" usually right before you are cited for something THEY THINK is illegal, regardless if said law is common knowledge or clearly understood.

Yet there is no requirement, or even expectation for a LEO to know all the laws they are charged with enforcing.. In fact you will often here a LEO say there are too many laws for them to be knowledgeable of them all,, when they are shown they mistaken about one of them.

A citizen should be able to issue a citation with criminal and financial implications to a LEO that does not know of, and or enforces incorrectly a law, or cites for an infraction to which there is no law.

Sounds fair to me.. with the age of instant research available to a LEO, there is NO excuse for misapplication and citing for an infraction the citizen can clearly articulate is not valid.

He didn't say anything about the yoshi on my bike which he couldn't miss from where he was standing. When i came from texas and registered my bike here after being checked at the DMV to make sure everything was in order. I recieved a noticed to take the bike to the local sheriffs office to be inspected before i could get my registration. The bike had the yoshi and light bar at that time and it passed inspection. So if either was an issue i'm sure it would have been brought up at that time.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/6889703083/"]006 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/6889703083/"]006 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame] by weljo2001, on Flickr

Back