• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shinko 804/805 anyone

Downs

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Video isn't very long but and the voiceover was broken and rushed to fit it into the length of the video, and on top of that I'm not a great public speaker :P. But I'm REALLY liking these tires. Now it's just an issue of the mileage I'll get out of them :sun:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSw6Qpe0zpQ"]Shinko 804/805 tire review - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Nice job Josh.

I will be mounting a set for the summer, will have them pretty worn out by fall if all goes well. Depending on wear of the rear I may end up with this on front and another Full Bore out back.

I just returned yesterday from a ride in AZ. Posted the below in quotes on Advrider today. Terrain was really too hard for the Strom (think Big Bend Ranch) but I was already there so gave it a go and survived. Other big bikes scheduled didn't show and ironically those bikes registering early is what convinced me to join. Day 2 a rock bent my shifter locking bike in first gear, Day 3 a boulder sheared my right footpeg bolt which moved and locked the rear brake and then later I blew out the left fork seal. But bike never went down and no injuries to me so I'm calling it a sucess. If not for the new Shinko I would have been riding pavement all 3 days.

" The Shinko 805 rear is an excellent off road tire. Just did 3 days riding the V-Strom 650 in So. AZ over some very technical terrain for a big bike. Dirt, light sand, some mud and rocks, rocks and more rocks. I could not believe how well the Shinko did. Better tire than a TKC80 IMO, did not lose traction for me even once. My front tire is a TKC80 with only 1,200 miles on it so will wear that out before trying the 804 front.

Did 250 miles pavement and 250 off road and tire looks great. Very minimal cuts and chunks gone from the rocks and tread wear almost non existent. Long term life I cannot comment except for based on what I see after 500 miles 5,000 miles would be a reasonable guesstimate. Noteworthy, this is on a bike with 35% less hp and 100 lbs less weight the bigger adventure bikes but it will be the next tire I'll put on my new Super Tenere once the stock Battle Wing's are gone.

No complaints on pavement either. Ride, noise, traction all good. Even did some pavement in the rain and was fine. Was a group ride though so didn't push the bike too hard.

Tires opinions vary greatly but this one is definitely worth a try. Probably more tire than most need and overkill if you're only riding dirt and gravel roads. Excellent value as well, only $100 shipped to my door.

One additional comment, I did play around with a heavy throttle coming out of turns and was able to get the rear to break loose on purpose. Very gradual and predictable power slide not a fast drop off like some other tires with a more square profile."

_

Last edited:
Based on my wear so far (800 miles) I'm gonna get similar to TKC mileage out of my rear which is better than a Big Block better than a Karoo3 but.... it won't make 1700 miles.

Based on my wear so far (800 miles) I'm gonna get similar to TKC mileage out of my rear which is better than a Big Block better than a Karoo3 but.... it won't make 1700 miles.

Using the usual math, everyone else will get 5K out of one.:)

...The set cost me 178 dollars from motorcycle closeouts. Shipping was free. In comparison the TKC-80 is around 170 dollars just for the rear...

Just got a Google banner ad, you know the ones that continually pop up with the same or similar item after you view or purchase something. Rocky Mtn ATV has the 804/805 set for $168 w/free shipping.

Using the usual math, everyone else will get 5K out of one.:)

That's called SOG's Law a multiplier formula like Moore's Law. Unless you ride a lighter bike like a Wee Strom and then you'll get 6-7K miles.

_

I just returned yesterday from a ride in AZ. Posted the below in quotes on Advrider today. Terrain was really too hard for the Strom (think Big Bend Ranch) but I was already there so gave it a go and survived. Other big bikes scheduled didn't show and ironically those bikes registering early is what convinced me to join. Day 2 a rock bent my shifter locking bike in first gear, Day 3 a boulder sheared my right footpeg bolt which moved and locked the rear brake and then later I blew out the left fork seal. But bike never went down and no injuries to me so I'm calling it a sucess. If not for the new Shinko I would have been riding pavement all 3 days.

" The Shinko 805 rear is an excellent off road tire. Just did 3 days riding the V-Strom 650 in So. AZ over some very technical terrain for a big bike. Dirt, light sand, some mud and rocks, rocks and more rocks. I could not believe how well the Shinko did. Better tire than a TKC80 IMO, did not lose traction for me even once. My front tire is a TKC80 with only 1,200 miles on it so will wear that out before trying the 804 front.

Did 250 miles pavement and 250 off road and tire looks great. Very minimal cuts and chunks gone from the rocks and tread wear almost non existent. Long term life I cannot comment except for based on what I see after 500 miles 5,000 miles would be a reasonable guesstimate. Noteworthy, this is on a bike with 35% less hp and 100 lbs less weight the bigger adventure bikes but it will be the next tire I'll put on my new Super Tenere once the stock Battle Wing's are gone.

No complaints on pavement either. Ride, noise, traction all good. Even did some pavement in the rain and was fine. Was a group ride though so didn't push the bike too hard.

Tires opinions vary greatly but this one is definitely worth a try. Probably more tire than most need and overkill if you're only riding dirt and gravel roads. Excellent value as well, only $100 shipped to my door.

One additional comment, I did play around with a heavy throttle coming out of turns and was able to get the rear to break loose on purpose. Very gradual and predictable power slide not a fast drop off like some other tires with a more square profile."

_

Thanks for the report, SB! :clap: :sun:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gzPS00ZYCY"]SHINKO 804 805 UPDATE - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
So I broke down and replaced the rear tire tonight. Total Mileage 7351. It wasn't totally worn. But when it was loaded down for camping this weekend towards the end you could see where the bike was compressing what was left of the blocks and riding on the main body of the tire. I probably could have squeezed it to 8000 miles if all I was going to do was commute.

The front MIGHT last until this rear wears out but I'm not sure. Some of the blocks are wearing at a slant (I assume from braking) and when those blocks wear down to the main body of the tire I'll replace it. For now I'll keep running it.

12075063_10208053822889496_8956499797405715981_n.jpg

12144764_10208053823529512_2069796519891742069_n.jpg

Thanks for the info. I just put 2100 miles on my 804 805 the is past week on a trip to Arkansas. Rode 99% street and was suprised how well they did.

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Did you ride with them in the rain on pavement at all?

No rain to speak of. I'm not that brave in the rain on any tires though. Lol

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Thanks. I'll definitely try those after my 705 are wore out.

Thanks for the info on these.

The little research I've done, many people seem to prefer the 804/805 combo to the 704/705 combo even on the street, but much better off road. That was surprising to hear.

Thanks for the info on these.

The little research I've done, many people seem to prefer the 804/805 combo to the 704/705 combo even on the street, but much better off road. That was surprising to hear.

I'm one of them. I find them to be better than 705s on the road. :giveup:

How does the 805 compare to the 705 for mileage? Any idea? Funny thing is I found your video review last night when searching google. Nice video by the way.

I get 8k out of a rear805. I get 10ishk out of a 705. Fronts vary but I usually replace them due to irregular wear instead of low tread.

The update video in post 12 covers mileage a little.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just watched your update video. Very nice again. Thanks for the info.

I was really impressed with the short time I spent on my new 804 front today. Seems like a good tire. Hope it continues to be this good for a while.

Back