• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ever been here?

NWKLR

Reaction score
Was just looking for a place to ride this Saturday before it starts getting cold. I normally start by pulling up Google Maps. I'm NW of Fort Worth and tend to stay away from the Metro area. Thought lunch in Meers, Ok would be a good run. Noticed a Map Tag on highway 79 just as it crosses the Red River that said "Dual Sport Trail Texas Border". I have not been able to find any information about the area at all online. Was planning on taking my FJR but if I can get some dirt under me the KLR needs some love-in too.
So does anyone know anything about this area???
Is it worth a 100 miles on knobbies?

I am not aware of the current status of riding area, but....

Although, I have not ridden it, I go thru there fairly often. There is currently a new bridge being built to cross the Red River. I had heard there were issues with the construction crew and riders getting into their work zone. Since then, I have not seen a lot of off road activity there. If you do go, there is lots of sand and a large area up and down the river to ride in.

Also, right across the river is Bill's catfish. On the left about 3/4 of a mile. (Oklahoma side). Stop in and eat. It is good.

Good luck!

Craig

Since I had some free time Saturday I took a trip north to check it out. Took all two lane back roads on the way up and was surprised at how well maintained the State Roads were. Kind of made me want the FJR. Anyway 100 miles on the KLR and was I ready to take a break and then hit some dirt. They are working on the bridge and surrounding riverbanks towards the east so I went west. Mistake! All super soft sand and very tight so no room to keep the speed up and let the front wheel float. Buried the bike twice and turned around. A bagged up KLR is NOT a soft sand machine. Got back to the bridge and talked to a side by side driver and he showed me the way to some much better trails east of the bridge. Once the construction is completed it will be much easier to find the entrance. Lots of crisscrossed trails that go way down river all semi well-traveled. No single track curtesy of the side by sides with chain saws though. All in all not a bad place to get some trail time in without having to ride too far. (For me anyway). Only major downfall is the local Party PIGS have trashed the place out. Mostly up by the bridge, the further you get from the bridge the less trash you see.

Since I had some free time Saturday I took a trip north to check it out. Took all two lane back roads on the way up and was surprised at how well maintained the State Roads were. Kind of made me want the FJR. Anyway 100 miles on the KLR and was I ready to take a break and then hit some dirt. They are working on the bridge and surrounding riverbanks towards the east so I went west. Mistake! All super soft sand and very tight so no room to keep the speed up and let the front wheel float. Buried the bike twice and turned around. A bagged up KLR is NOT a soft sand machine. Got back to the bridge and talked to a side by side driver and he showed me the way to some much better trails east of the bridge. Once the construction is completed it will be much easier to find the entrance. Lots of crisscrossed trails that go way down river all semi well-traveled. No single track curtesy of the side by sides with chain saws though. All in all not a bad place to get some trail time in without having to ride too far. (For me anyway). Only major downfall is the local Party PIGS have trashed the place out. Mostly up by the bridge, the further you get from the bridge the less trash you see.

That's good too know. I go by there fairly often and wondered. I have heard that they have lots of problems with fires and miscellaneous problems there. Probably be good place to ride on something besides my KLR.. perhaps the little DR350!!!!

Thanks for the update!!

Craig

Sounds like a great place to ride during the middle of the week when most of the party types are hopefully at work. The KLR is a handful in deep sand for sure. Having good tires on it makes a world of difference. I ran the D606s exclusively on my KLR and they worked great. I didn't usually do big highway miles on it though. But, they also worked very well on Northwestern Arkansas twisty pavement.

Another HUGE plus for any KLR is the Race Tech susp upgrade. An essential IMO for any rider wanting to enjoy the dirt, improves street use also. Actually transforms the bike into a real D/S.

Another HUGE plus for any KLR is the Race Tech susp upgrade. An essential IMO for any rider wanting to enjoy the dirt, improves street use also. Actually transforms the bike into a real D/S.

Totally true. I put a stiffer rear spring on the stock rear shock of my 02 KLR and put straight rate Race Tech springs up front with slightly heavier oil. Once I got the preload/sag set, it made all the difference in the world. That only cost me about $250 at the time. Stock suspension is REALLY soft. If you are more than about 180lbs, it will start to show its limits. It is even worse if you try to load it down with luggage for a trip!

Back