• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Storing bike for fly and rides

Reaction score
My last big bike trip was almost 2 years ago when I flew up to Seattle and rented a KLR and knocked out a good portion of the WABDR before flying home.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKKNW9iXbqs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKKNW9iXbqs[/ame]

After my trip I quickly picked up a KLR outfitted it to my needs where it has sat and collected dust in my garage. Any free time I get usually goes to one of my smaller dual sports. I have come to the conclusion that due to the time commitment involved with traveling from central Texas. I'm wont likely take a big trip a year like I hoped. With most places on my list CO, UT, NV, ID, OR, & WA being such a far haul most of my vacation is spent getting to and from these areas.

I got the time this summer to spend some time in Colorado. I'm thinking it may be best to just leave the KLR in CO at a self storage. This would allow me to fly back to the bike and ride for a few days before flying home. In the hopes I can jump from city to city that have good riding and decent size airports. Surely this has been done or is being done by some members of this forum.

What issues will I run into?

With bike sitting 6-8 months most likely I figured I could treat the fuel, drain the carb, unhook the battery. I know Ill be able to keep tags current I may have a buddy I can facetime showing bikes legal to pass inspection. I have ample tools, riding gear and camping gear I can leave with the bike so I can fly in and out with just clothes.

Im currently thinking I may store the bike in Grand Junction, CO after spending a week riding CO, with the plan to ride Utah and store in Salt lake City in 2019 and figure it out from there.

Looking for input or possibly links to other threads where this has been done. I've seen the idea discussed on ADVrider but more the RTW model.

Besides Dohickey, new clutch, valves, brakes, oil, tires, and chain. What maintenance would you do to your KLR knowing it may never see your garage again.

There is a gentleman that visits this site with the handle of dcwilcox from Florida meet him last year in New Mexico he leaves his bike at storage units around the country he may can give you tips or answers you need he was on here in January hope this helps

Aaron

... I know Ill be able to keep tags current I may have a buddy I can facetime showing bikes legal to pass inspection...

If vehicle is out of state you don't need inspection to renew registration. You can sign an affadavit and get a new sticker. Upon vehicle returning to Texas you need an inspection within 72 hrs to maintain valid registration.

_

Last edited:
There is a gentleman that visits this site with the handle of dcwilcox from Florida meet him last year in New Mexico he leaves his bike at storage units around the country he may can give you tips or answers you need he was on here in January hope this helps

Aaron

I will look him up. It would be nice to follow someone elses routes and pick their brain on storage options.

If vehicle is out of state you don't need inspection to renew registration. You can sign an affadavit and get a new sticker. Upon vehicle returning to Texas you need an inspection within 72 hrs to maintain valid registration.

_

This is great info! Assumed not getting bike to Texas yearly for inspection would of been one of the biggest hurdles.

Aaron

FloridaMan can also give great advice on growin a 'stashe.

Hey HailChaser,

I've got a few trips under my belt now, but still feel like a noob. My bike is currently in El Paso.

For 2018, I plan to ride parts of the SOR and NMBDR to get the bike up to DEN in late May, then the northern half of the CDR in July, and NVBDR north to south in Oct.

My blog/ride report is over on advrider.com http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-project-trip.1180834/ It is kind of long now, lots of pics and info.

I usually plan my trips as if I'm going solo and then hope for someone to ride some or all with me.

Glad to answer any questions I can!

Dane

There was a couple on ADVRider that would ride till they ran out of time, then store the bikes and fly home and return to their jobs and lives till they had time again. You might look for the thread though I don't know how easy it'd be to find.

Wasn't that the Mobius Trip Tat thread. If so just Google it. Awesome read...

I used to keep an '88 1100 Katana (not the desirable kind, the slow full-bodied one) in a public storage slot in Colorado Springs just for the odd weekends I could get up there.

Plugged a trickle charger into a light socket adapter

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/695706/6957064565041.jpg

Worked well except the bike was always covered with bugs and dust in spite of having it covered.

No one ever bothered it or stole it.... but that was 1988 - 92-ish.

Last edited:
HailChaser,

There are at least two still active threads on advrider.com that are ongoing ride reports. RhodeTrip and his wife have been doing it awhile on TW200's and now have bikes in 3 locations, one of which is in Europe.

As I mentioned in PM, the "Mobius Trip" and "Louisiana to Alaska on as much dirt as possible" were the ride reports that turned me on to this type of rides. Both included tons of info that I used where it suited my situation. Adventures have a way of continually evolving, which may really be one of the best things!

There is also a Ride, Fly, Store, Repeat thread in the Trip Planning section over on ADV . . . perhaps this thread could evolve into similar here if there is enough interest. For myself, I found this the most "do-able" way to ride awesome off-road routes out west.

Storing my bike has not been an issue . . . I have used chain storage companies mostly, but a mom&pop place in Arkansas worked out great when I was in a bind on my first trip out. You mention, Grand Junction and my only question is where would you fly out from? Regional airports usually have connecting flights, but the price is often double or more. I've always began and ended my trips near major airport cities.

Once you know your destination area, you can reach out to local riders for storage recommendations. Local "intel" is great when you can find it and applies to lodging, restaurants, bike shops and more in addition to storage options.

This becomes a logistics issue and very much factors into trip and route planning, which is actually part of the fun when you are in between trips.

I think you have accounted for most of the storage prep things, i.e. treating gas, draining carb, disconnecting battery, etc. I don't know how your bike is otherwise farkled out but a bash plate, hand guards, and engine armor are pretty much required!

After a screw-up on my part about a tire, I now take pictures and written inventory of everything that is in the storage locker. This way I can compare those items against my "master list" when packing for each trip. Its been very helpful.

Also, for a bike that may never see a home garage . . . regular maintenance isn't too bad; oil changes, air filter cleaning, and tire changes can be done most anywhere. I just bring filters I'll need. I've found most Wal-Marts and oil-change places will sell yo oil and let you do your maintenance in their parking lot, including oil disposal.

For additional farkling I work through the installation instructions to ensure that I have any special tools, etc. bring those with me and then ship them home along with anything else that isn't needed for that trip.

Like I said in the PM, it'd be nice to have a central thread for those considering this type of adventuring; however, some specifics/locations probably shouldn't be shared in open forum so PM is a good option for those discussions.

Dane

I used to keep an '88 1100 Katana (not the desirable kind, the slow full-bodied one) in a public storage slot in Colorado Springs just for the odd weekends I could get up there.

Plugged a trickle charger into a light socket adapter

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/695706/6957064565041.jpg

Worked well except the bike was always covered with bugs and dust in spite of having it covered.

No one ever bothered it or stole it.... but that was 1988 - 92-ish.

Trickle charger ran via light socket adapter is pretty clever. However last couple units I've rented while moving homes had 4 ft fluorescent lights. If that's an option and I can reach the bulb I will definitely use that idea.

HailChaser,

There are at least two still active threads on advrider.com that are ongoing ride reports. RhodeTrip and his wife have been doing it awhile on TW200's and now have bikes in 3 locations, one of which is in Europe.

As I mentioned in PM, the "Mobius Trip" and "Louisiana to Alaska on as much dirt as possible" were the ride reports that turned me on to this type of rides. Both included tons of info that I used where it suited my situation. Adventures have a way of continually evolving, which may really be one of the best things!

There is also a Ride, Fly, Store, Repeat thread in the Trip Planning section over on ADV . . . perhaps this thread could evolve into similar here if there is enough interest. For myself, I found this the most "do-able" way to ride awesome off-road routes out west.

Storing my bike has not been an issue . . . I have used chain storage companies mostly, but a mom&pop place in Arkansas worked out great when I was in a bind on my first trip out. You mention, Grand Junction and my only question is where would you fly out from? Regional airports usually have connecting flights, but the price is often double or more. I've always began and ended my trips near major airport cities.

Once you know your destination area, you can reach out to local riders for storage recommendations. Local "intel" is great when you can find it and applies to lodging, restaurants, bike shops and more in addition to storage options.

This becomes a logistics issue and very much factors into trip and route planning, which is actually part of the fun when you are in between trips.

I think you have accounted for most of the storage prep things, i.e. treating gas, draining carb, disconnecting battery, etc. I don't know how your bike is otherwise farkled out but a bash plate, hand guards, and engine armor are pretty much required!

After a screw-up on my part about a tire, I now take pictures and written inventory of everything that is in the storage locker. This way I can compare those items against my "master list" when packing for each trip. Its been very helpful.

Also, for a bike that may never see a home garage . . . regular maintenance isn't too bad; oil changes, air filter cleaning, and tire changes can be done most anywhere. I just bring filters I'll need. I've found most Wal-Marts and oil-change places will sell yo oil and let you do your maintenance in their parking lot, including oil disposal.

For additional farkling I work through the installation instructions to ensure that I have any special tools, etc. bring those with me and then ship them home along with anything else that isn't needed for that trip.

Like I said in the PM, it'd be nice to have a central thread for those considering this type of adventuring; however, some specifics/locations probably shouldn't be shared in open forum so PM is a good option for those discussions.

Dane

Dane,

Appreciate the PM and really enjoyed reading report on your ride and am following for the next chapter. Your thread and the threads you put me on is awesome information and motivation for what I'm trying do to. I have taken down multiple pointers from what I've read so far.

The Mobius trip is a great read. I have briefly rushed through it. I currently own two DRZ's and this made me really think about what bike to use for this trip. Cant believe the kind of mileage they have put those bikes through. Such a bummer that there hasn't been any updates on that thread in years. I hope he continues it at some point.

You mention why I'm looking at Grand Junction? Honestly I googled airports other than Denver in CO and started looking into grand junction. My experience with Denver is that I can usually fly in cheap but lodging, car rentals, taxis etc. aren't cheap so I didn't want to go that route. Certainly open for other options. I just wanted to get to planning and that's where I've researched so far.

Round trip flight I may pay a bit more for but this will put me on good riding with cheap lodging. I have located 2 storage options walking distance of a affordable hotel with decent ratings. In the event I do have to do some wrenching after the bike sits being this close will be nice.

My plan is to truck the bike up to Colorado early this summer. Ride four or five days solo. I get 9 days off work after most assignments so will time it for my next rest period. Ill store the bike in Grand Junction. Fly back in early August ride with some buddies from the PNW and then store the bike for the winter. I'm thinking I may just use Grand Junction again after riding with my PNW buddies as will be in route. The 2 Colorado trips are all the riding plans I really have so far other than Mextrek on one of my 400s this summer. Figured I would venture further west in summer of 2019

Couple concerns I have
- Bike will probably sit for at least 9 months after my August trip. This will take a toll on my Battery. Do I just buy a new battery when I Arrive in 2019 to save me the frustration? Id hate to fly in and immediately kill the battery right off the bat trying to get the bike started for a bit.
-Looks like the ideal storage size is a 5x10? Would you pay extra for drive up or 24 hour access? See pricing ranges from $50-$100 per month for these sized units. What do you target when looking at these I see some free month specials and a lot don't prorate months not sure what to look for.
-Reading these threads make me really unsure about what bike to take. I am a large guy and assumed having the luggage capacity of the KLR and the 650 for the highway would be the bike id want for this kind of travel. However having my KLX400 with the kickstarter would make me feel better about possible battery issues and I would be more comfortable offroad with the lighter bike. Not knowing what routes I plan to take or an end destination makes it tough to decide. I'm still leaning towards the KLR.
-I typically ride within reach of buddies who can help or where I can have wife bring the truck worse case scenario. What kind of insurance/Roadside protection should I look at for the bike I take? I currently declined all of those options on the policies I currently have.
-I see the Denver area is your next target destination. Have you put any thought to where you will go after your El Paso to Denver ride?

Last edited:
You're right, storing the bike long term-ish in Denver will likely be expensive; probably one of the most expensive places in the western US!? For me it is the best option to set up for my next ride and my bike will be there only 2 months so that makes the more expensive storage a little easier to swallow. And since you asked about my trip after Denver . . .

Last summer I rode the southern half of the CDR with a bunch of great folks from here on TWT . . . we ended up at Steamboat Springs and so getting the bike to Denver will set me up to continue on from Steamboat and ride the CDR north to the Canadian border. A couple of guys from last summer's ride have agreed to ride with me for this trip too, awesome!

The plan from there will be to circle down to Boise, ID to set up a north to south run of the NVBDR in Sept/Oct ending in Vegas where I'll store the bike for winter. This is what I mean when I talk about the logistics from one ride to the next. For me it is definitely part of the enjoyment.

Also, don't freak out about having everything set up perfectly . . . it almost assuredly won't happen that way. Keep a little notebook (or similar) and make notes about things you need, things to ship home, etc.

5x10 storage works fine and is plenty large enough. Caveat: some 5x10 are not (more like 4x8), but my bike fit anyway. Also, make sure you get a unit with a roll-up style door as some "end" units don't have these and makes it tough to get the bike in and out or so I've heard. Also, I personally wouldn't pay extra for 24hr access. YMMV

As you saw in my RR, I ride a DR650. This bike has no drain on the battery when it is shut off. I put a new battery in it last in Sept. 2017. I don't know about the KLR, but I think disconnecting the battery should be fine if it is not an old battery already. This is always a concern, but if something doesn't work when you get there (and I'm always nervous it won't), my job is not to panic and just take care of it the best I can.

I think the KLR is a good choice, from my understanding they are super reliable and versatile. Knowing your bike is a big deal, probably more important than which bike (there are many suitable bikes). This means a lot to me, so much so that I bought an old beater DR650 to tinker on here at home so I'd know how to fix things if needed on the road. I also carry a DR650 specific toolkit with tools I know work for my bike. Heck, I even carry the service manual, JIC!

I don't have any friends (yet) in most of my destinations . . . and for me one of the most unsettling things is arriving in a strange town where I don't know my way around, and don't know a soul, and don't have a clue! ;) This get easier each each trip!

I've found that a motel within walking distance to my storage facility is beneficial! Similarly, my experience with mom & pop motels has been excellent! This allows you to have a 'basecamp' while you get your bike and gear squared away! Not always feasible, but helpful when possible. Think about the steps (including transportation) you'll need to accomplish to store and retrieve your bike and gear. I typically include some routine maintenance for the first and last days of each trip.

Again, there isn't a perfect plan. My gear, tools, strategies, etc. change up a little each time out.

BTW, I carry the InReach SE and wouldn't travel alone without it or a similar device. A couple of friends back home track my every move when I'm on a trip . . . I find it comforting to know my backside is sort of covered! I've also added a pretty decent IFAK and hope I need neither.

Believe me, I am no trip planning expert and I'm a mediocre rider at best . . . the point is that it is do-able and I'm having a blast!

Dane

Last edited:
You might ask a few shops and see who will store it for $20 a month. You never know. Promise them the tire change, oil change, and maintenance business.

My place in PHX, AZ always has room for a bike on a charger. For $5 I'll start it every month to keep it warm and fuzzy. Plus tickets to San Antonio and Austin on Frontier are often very very cheap, like $80 round trip.

I met a group of guys while on California 1 a few years back. They were from Argentina and were riding to Alaska a little at a time. Ride for two or three weeks then store their bikes until the next year. So it can be done.

This idea sounds amazing, but I have a hard time seeing it ever being more than a pipe dream for me. Having the disposable income to pay for a bike I only use occasionally, the space to store it, and the travel to get there is one heck of a hurdle to clear. Then there’s the issue of having enough spare time to make that investment worthwhile.

Maybe as a retired empty nester it would be an option, but I don’t see how a working person with a family could justify it unless money isn’t an object for them.

Knock some dust off that KLR on some stuff closer to Texas.

Mextrek is mountains, cool air, great riding. Requires 2 vacation days from a 9 to 5. Costs about the same $ as a round trip plane ticket.

Uncles in Big Bend as well.

Richard's junction rally.

All 3 are great ways to ride, meet other riders, expand horizons.

Back