• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Readiness of tire repair kit

I use the stop n go's that Tall posted in #19. I have a pretty expensive compressor.. but I have piece of mind that it'll work. http://www.pashnit.com/product/cyclepump.html You can buy a cheaper compressor, and I know they usually work but many of them have too many plastic components for me to not worry about after few years of banging around in a bag.

Have the same set up the pump inflates quick well worth the money. Got some Powerlet Jumper Cables also just in case.

IMG_0070 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0067 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Instead of getting a tube of glue that can dry out and get mashed with the other tools go to the local office supply and get a small bottle of rubber cement. They're fairly sturdy and have a brush applicator so you don't get your hands sticky. It seals around the lid better and holds much more so it lasts longer than a tube.

I got both flavors of the tire plugger plus and both suck. More often than not the plug would start leaking when the steel cords sawed through it about 100 miles down the road. Gummy cords, and a slime tire pump have seen much use
and are reliable enough I don't replace the tires after a flat and ride them until they are worn out.

Instead of getting a tube of glue that can dry out and get mashed with the other tools go to the local office supply and get a small bottle of rubber cement. They're fairly sturdy and have a brush applicator so you don't get your hands sticky. It seals around the lid better and holds much more so it lasts longer than a tube.

I'll look for that. Are all rubber cements basically the same? I've been using the stringy plugs without glue and takes a lot of force sometimes.

I carry the tubes in small zip-lock bags sealed as well as I can squeeze the bag around the tubes. The tubes last longer and if the tube ruptures, the bag will contain the chemical.

I would suggest putting the rubber cement in a plastic non-breakable[instead of glass] container. Just my .02 YMMV

Coin tubes make excellent storage devices for cement.

tube.jpg

What about an empty twist-lok prescription bottle?

Bad idea - the neighborhood kids might find it and snort the rubber cement.

Then again - I've got some really annoying neighborhood kids...

that's why I always put a few drops of cyanide in the glue for quick cures[pun intended]

Back