TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc. > Upcoming TARA Rides/Events

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
tperk314
Forum Supporter

TARA DFW North January Happenings

Hey guys...hope everyone had a great Christmas and also has a great New Year!

Just to start off 2018 in a confusing way....our 1st Tuesday get together will be held on January 9...which is actually the 2nd Tuesday. I didn't figure we would have too many guys make it on January 2...since its the first day back to work after the holidays.

I was finally able to reserve the room at Spring Creek BBQ in Grapevine...so that's where we will meet on January 9...at 7PM. The address is: 315 State Highway 114W, GV, 76051.

Rides: If anyone is planning rides...feel free to post them here, and come on the 9th so that you can tell the other guys!

I'm hoping to get out to Barnwell Mtn sometime around the middle of the month...for a dirt bike day. The date will just depend on work...and the weather forecast.

Rider Contact List: Since this weekend might be a little icy, while I'm sitting around watching bowl games...I hope to rework the contact list. I am going to sort it out by location. That way it will be a quick reference to find riders nearby.

See you guys on the 9th!
tperk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
tperk314
Forum Supporter

Re: TARA DFW North January Happenings

Don't forget our dinner meet for January is Tuesday. 7PM at Spring Creek in GV. Hope to see you there! As always...bring your family and friends.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
Lightninss

I plan to attend.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Simmons1

Can't make it tonight, still trying to get over the flu.

Some people buy motorcycles for road trips
while others buy them for ego trips.

Where's Rich been lately?

Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / ST1300 / KLR650 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750 / H1 500
Simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
tperk314
Forum Supporter

We had a good turnout last night for our 1st Tuesday get-together...15 or so riders showed up, had good BBQ and talked bikes and rides for an hour or so.

Robert Lee briefed the group on the Spring Redneck Ramble. This year he is working with Chris D. (famous for his monthly DFW ADV rides!) on the event. It will be held in May, and will be a two day event. One day of skills tests and competitions, and one day of great D/S riding in the Bonham area. If you want more info...contact him directly at: littlegeneral54@juno.com There will be a thread on TWT as the date approaches. Check out his website: http://dualsportuniverse.com for info from last fall's ride in Jacksboro. He also reminded everyone of an upcoming D/S ride in the Castroville area next Saturday. This is a ride put on by the San Antonio TARA Chapter. The link to the ride is: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116119

Max Hendrix made the meeting and briefed the riders on his ride schedule for this year. He has a group of ADV riders that take three major rides each year: Big Bend, Colorado, and Moab. I know some guys who have been on his rides...nothing but great reviews! He has been doing this for several years and has it all worked out. If you have been thinking of going on a big trip, get in touch with Max at: motomax409@gmail.com

Monday the 15th is a holiday, and a couple guys are thinking of heading out to Trophy Club for the day. Feel free to post here is you want to join in.

I hope to go out to Barnwell Mountain http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/ on Saturday the 20th and spend the day out there. I've never been, but it sounds like fun. I won't be able to confirm I'm going until Wednesday or so. It will depend on work and the weather (I'm a big wimp...not going unless the forecast is 50+). As soon as know for sure...I will post. I can't camp out because I have to be home Friday night...so will just get up early and drive out Saturday am...then home that evening.

Anyone wanting to go for a ride...feel free to post it here! There's always some good weather days to get in some miles!
Old 01-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #6
tperk314
Forum Supporter

BIKES FOR SALE: Forgot to mention that we found out there are a couple bikes for sale in the group last night. A BMW 1200 and a KTM 690. I know the owners and both bikes are in good condition and well taken care of. If you are interested....drop me a PM and I will put you in touch with the owners!
Old 01-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
tperk314
Forum Supporter

Barnwell Mountain...Saturday. At this time I am still planning on heading out to BM for a day of dirt riding on Saturday. Their website is: http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/. I will make the final decision by Wednesday night. Right now the long range forecast is cold with light rain/snow through the week...chance of showers Friday night, but then it is supposed to warm up into the 60s on Saturday.

My plan will be to leave early Saturday am...and be at the park by the time they open...ride most of the day...then head home in the afternoon. If you are thinking of going...let me know. If no one else wants to go...I probably won't either.

Don't forget to visit the TARA website: http://txadvriders.org/ You can see what all the chapters across the state are doing. Where and when the rides are!
Old 01-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #8
tperk314
Forum Supporter

Barnwell Mountain...Saturday. Still watching the weather for a trip to Barnwell on Saturday. Right now its 50/50. Temps should be ok...low 50s in the morning, and up to 60s after lunch, but there is a chance of rain. I don't mind riding in the cold & I don't mind riding in the rain...but I don't like riding in cold rain! I will decide whether I want to go by tomorrow night at this time. If anyone else is definitely going...go ahead and post your info.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
tperk314
Forum Supporter

Barnwell Mountain...SaturdayThe weather forecast is good enough for me to give it a shot. Lows in the morning will be 50+ and it will be warming up to over 60 after lunch. The chance of rain has dropped, and just for scattered showers. So...I am a definite yes to go over there. I will leave early enough to show right after they open...8 to 830. I've never been...and don't know anything about the parking setup, but will be in a dark brown Tahoe with a hitch bike carrier. I will hang the DFW TARA banner on it somewhere. If I'm not at the truck...I'm probably out riding and will be back shortly. Be sure to look me up if you come out. If you are coming...be sure to post here so we can keep an eye out for you! See you Saturday.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
tperk314
Forum Supporter

BARNWELL REVIEW.

Hey guys...we made it out to Barnwell Mountain yesterday. Had a great day of riding. Weather started out about 55 with light drizzle and some fog. It never did clear off, but the drizzle ended and the temp got up to 60 or so. It was a good thing that it was cool because it was quite a workout running on the single track. Almost felt cold at the parking area, but once in the trees worked up quite a sweat! Because of this...if you are thinking of going out there...I would recommend against it in July & Aug. My guess is it would be almost unbearable after 10 am or so.

Lots of single-track. The entire loop is 27 miles. We went out on 3 separate rides...each about 45 minutes & I logged 30 miles, but they were two different sections of the trail (did one section twice). Overall I don't think we did more than 25% of the loop. There are harder sections that branch off the main track...then circle back to rejoin. Not sure how hard they are...I was having enough trouble on the main track to check them out! I don't think it would be much fun on a big bike...if even possible. A lot of very tight sections. There are a lot of trails for Jeeps & OHVs if you ride a big bike. We didn't run them much...so I can't really comment on them, but the whole park looked pretty good.

They have cabins for rent, showers & restrooms. I didn't check out the showers, but the restrooms at the main area were nice & clean.

It's a long way over there. 150 miles from Flower Mound. I left right at 5am and got there about 7:45 (a couple short stops), but coming home hit a lot of Dallas traffic. It could easily be a 3 1/2 hour drive...depending on timing. It's a long hard day trip, but worth it. It would be a much easier trip to go out the evening prior, camp, and then get started riding early the next day. Gilmer is bigger than I thought. Looks like it has all the fast food places & a couple hotels. If you have riding buddies from the Houston area...it would probably be a good place to meet up.

Overall...its worth a trip to check it out if you like single track through the woods.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:25 AM   #11
notyou83

tperk314, what bike were you riding? You mentioned heavier bikes might have difficulty at Barnwell Mountain in some places. Makes me wonder if a 650 V-Strom or similar could make it.
notyou83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #12
Flipit

I would not take my 650 V-Strom past the parking lot of Barnwell Mountain. We all had dual sport or trail bikes - nothing bigger than a 500, down to a 200. Very tight and twisty undulating terrain, loose and sandy with DEEP mud puddles. I think even if you tried to ride the Blue 'Adventure Trail' you would be wishing for your $30.00 back.
Flipit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #13
tperk314
Forum Supporter

I pretty much agree. I've never ridden a v-strom but I don't think you have the ground clearance to get over the roots, rocks & ruts...and I think its too wide to get between the trees. I rode a WR250 and got quite a work-out, but I'm basically a "B" level rider. Some of the better guys were scooting around pretty good. I do ride a DR650...and if forced to ride it out there...I could have probably horsed it around (with good tires) but it wouldn't have been any fun.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:24 AM   #14
notyou83

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my "no skill self" on the pavement for now. I'm hoping to start hitting things like that in the future, but that may be a long way away.
notyou83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #15
tperk314
Forum Supporter

Try and make one of our 1st Tuesday dinners. Usually they are in the Grapevine area, and all type of ADV bike riders are there. We also try to have several big bike friendly rides each year. A typical ride would be 70/30 unpaved/paved, and the unpaved sections are usually dirt or gravel county type roads. Drop me a PM if you would like to be on the email list also. Hope to see you soon.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:36 PM   #16
Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipit View Post
I would not take my 650 V-Strom past the parking lot of Barnwell Mountain. We all had dual sport or trail bikes - nothing bigger than a 500, down to a 200. Very tight and twisty undulating terrain, loose and sandy with DEEP mud puddles. I think even if you tried to ride the Blue 'Adventure Trail' you would be wishing for your $30.00 back.
Id take that chance.

78 GS1000 (Tennessee Hillbilly)

03 TW200

08 MazdaSpeed3
Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #17
Downs

I just watched a YT video of the Adventure Loop trail and I'd do that on my Strom. Anyone up for a big bike ride on the Barnwell Mountain ADV loop? I'm not going to be running dirt bike speeds but I saw nothing that caught my eye that would hold up a big bike for too long.

78 GS1000 (Tennessee Hillbilly)

03 TW200

08 MazdaSpeed3
Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #18
tperk314
Forum Supporter

The February thread is up and running. Check it out:http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116457