• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Who's up for some dirt? Hville

Reaction score
First Name
James
Last Name
Mendell
Anyone riding off road tomorrow? I'm up for some dirt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Myself and Jfink will be leaving my place 9:00am. We'll be taking the meandering route to Nacogdoches for lunch, then even more meandering on the way back. There should be a good bit of dirt and even some sand... Total route is about 300 miles if all the roads actually go through and we don't have to do much backtracking. I will be riding the 1200 GS and he will be on his KTM 990. Might be back to Huntsville around 5:00pm or so...

Sorry, Saturday. It was an awesome ride :rider:

:tab I have attached the route for anyone that might want to run it. I'd say it is probably unpaved for at least 75% or more of the route. The start/stop is at the intersection of FMs 247/980 on the North side of Huntsville. It is 296 miles long. We left at 9:30am, ran it clockwise, and we were in Nacogdoches for lunch by 12:30pm. That took about an hour. The vast majority of the roads before Nacogdoches were unpaved and had a LOT of great sand!!

:tab We stopped in Huntington on US 69 just SE of Lufkin for a post lunch potty break. James peeled off there and booked back to Huntsville to make dinner for his sweetie. Joe and I continue on. The original route had us exploring the Angelina NF on the East side of US 69. Unfortunately, it seems many former NF roads have become private or they dead end into hunting leases. We eventually had to back track all the way to 69. We did find some little oil paved roads on the West side of 69 through the NF. The attached track does not have all of our dead ends and U-turns on it.

:tab At Colmesneil, Joe peeled off and headed for home in Conroe. I was going to slab it back to Huntsville, but it was such a pretty evening and I was having so much fun, I got right back on the dirt West of Colmesneil. That whole stretch between Colmesneil and FM 350 West of Moscow is unpaved and was great! There is also a cut across on FM 980 before Riverside that is all dirt and is nice. I got back to Huntsville about 6:45pm. So figure 9 hours for the whole route with lunch. I rarely got over 45 mph on any of the unpaved stuff and often went slower than that. We ran the speed limit on the paved stuff... mostly...

:tab We ran this on big bikes. James was on his 1200 GSA, I was on my 1200 GS, and Joe was on his KTM 990. I was the only one on knobbies and I was really glad to have them!! The other guys did great without them though. This really is a very nice loop with some wonderful roads and beautiful scenery. There were tons of places where we were riding through tunnels of trees.

Attachments

• Sand Blaster Run.gpx
    211.4 KB · Views: 363
I wish I had seen this earlier, I would have had a better idea of where we were going! :-)

As Scott said though, it was an excellent ride. I had a great time.

Last edited:
East Tex is my favorite and the bestest DS ride in Tex.

I live there, but I can't make that statement! lol, I'll take west of Austin any day! just being on the bike wins tho!

I live there, but I can't make that statement! lol, I'll take west of Austin any day! just being on the bike wins tho!

Hill country is prettier...But the riding is relaxed and too easy!

The sand in East Texas is challenging...And fun...And gets my heart beating.

Last edited:
Back