• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Top Austin Model (Fashion Runway Shoot)

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
I was invited to shoot the recent finals for Top Austin Model this past Thursday. My mentor Rick Kent with EnduroPhoto is connected with the event organizers, participants and other photographers, and he asked if I'd be interested in trying something new and different. After all, how hard can it be to photograph women walking/stopping then walking, right?

The event was held in a wonderful event center 'barn' with not so great lighting. Yet there was a light bank of LED's in the 'pit' that tossed wonderful light out in front of us in a fairly small area. Key to good lighting was going to be in the models hands walking to 'that sweet spot'. The events primary photographer Peter Tung was also wonderful to work with and gave me some pointers on how to shoot this type of event.

Since I knew they would be walking towards us, stopping/posing, then walking away I opted for a continuous focus mode. I went full manual with a shutter speed of 1/250th to stop the movement, and a fixed ISO1600 put me in the f/4.5 ballpark. With the 70-200mm, f/4.5 provided a reasonably fuzzy background at 200mm, but not so great at 70. I think the average focal length was in the 80-100 range depending on where they stopped. Auto WB too.

There were 10 finalists and they came out in two different outfits the first set, two different outfits the second set, then an intermission, the men's walk, and then a third set of two outfits. Shooting 'a lot' RAW files, I got it down to just under 300 of which less than 80 really made the cut. If you're interested in the full gallery, click HERE.

The following are some of my favorites. Remember, this was my first time shooting this type of venue, so please be gentle. :-)

This was 'the pit' where the eight or ten photographers were located. And this was the models view of us with the blinding lights they had to walk in to. Nobody said modeling was easy....
i-2wG2V3x-XL.jpg

Here's Brianna. She's the emcee, a judge and all around wonderful person.
i-K6nbGFH-XL.jpg

A couple of the 'guy models' before the competition.
i-MnCt7bj-XL.jpg

A prior year participant.
i-S7k7brP-XL.jpg

The following will be just random favorites....
i-CxBkKWm-XL.jpg

i-K8LbsSf-XL.jpg

i-XLvgsZs-XL.jpg

i-dBF94rn-XL.jpg

i-zDt5ZMG-XL.jpg

i-2HjCCZT-XL.jpg

i-9vkcd4d-XL.jpg

i-G7HtDhz-XL.jpg

i-D9JMkLv-XL.jpg

i-4mQxWZx-XL.jpg

i-NgvmqpQ-XL.jpg

i-62hSj9F-XL.jpg

i-csjVmp6-XL.jpg

This is Skyler. She won last year I think. She is also 6' bare feet and last summer rode her bicycle from Austin to Alaska for the Texas4000.
i-XptnbHg-XL.jpg

The guys again...
i-4Rf34v5-XL.jpg

i-zS4wrS8-XL.jpg

i-VWGwvcZ-XL.jpg

i-2dJshXk-XL.jpg

i-rHrZRjT-XL.jpg

...and the winner:
i-mwtjtgv-XL.jpg

Overall this was a fun experience. Location in "the pit" is critical, followed by lighting and then the level of post processing you want to toss at it. I hope to be invited back to do this again. The one part that struck me interesting was, you knew where they were going to walk/stop & turn. AND they did their poses by themselves so there was no 'directions' needed. That was a joy for me.

I'd love to hear your comments on this first adventure in this genre' for me.

Last edited:
Just wow....

I know I'm no longer one of the popular kids, but is this really fashionable? :lol2:

i-4Rf34v5-XL.jpg

Just wow....

I know I'm no longer one of the popular kids, but is this really fashionable? :lol2:

Yeah, I was pushing the envelope with gray Dockers and a purple POLO shirt myself. lol

Are they mad? or just hungry?

Hangry? :ponder:

They all had 'that look'. I think it's standard for this type of fashion runway event. Not only were they showcasing the clothing lines, but they were evaluated on their walk, poses and ability to model.

I think you did a great job ... first time or not! You captured the movement and drama of the event. I especially like the last picture of the winner with the reflection on the floor!
Jennifer

I like the two guys pointing at each other.

Just wow....

Shockingly, Sonny Crockett is no longer the height of fashion cool.

A few years ago, some young couples at church were talking about having a "retro" party. I said, "Cool, like the 50s?" One of the guys replied, "I was thinking more 80s. We can all buy campy stuff at thrift stores, and Tim, you can just wear what you always wear." :doh:

These are really great shots IMO. Well done, Scott! :clap:

So I've been a little curious about post-processing and 'glamour' type shoots. More specifically - how do the professionals really 'work' the images, what tools do they use, what kinds of things to they look at for enhancement and so forth.

Here's one I thought was pretty good for a 'glamour' type shot with what little I know about glamour post-processing:
i-csjVmp6-XL.jpg

And here's a 'first attempt' at going the full-glam route in post with some available tools:
i-xTDC5qB-XL.jpg

For sure, there's quite a bit of post done to the second image. But I'm beginning to gain an understanding of just what all can be done and is done at the highest magazine levels.

Back