• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tubliss tire - my product review - 5 of 5!

R

Red Brown

After several months of delay, I decided to take the plunge and invest in a pair of Tubliss tires for the Yamaha WR250. The installation was easy and the video at the company web site has an excellent video tutorial on the procedure.

Like many successful inventions, the purpose is simple. Eliminate the need to use a motorcycle tire tubes.

Instead of trying to seal the rim to keep air in the tire, the inventor at Tubliss sealed the gap between the two tire beads with a special rubber inner liner or in laymen terms a simple rubber bicycle high-pressure tube. By putting a one-off bicycle tire in the center of the rim and inflating it, the gap at the bottom of the tire is sealed, making the tire an airtight chamber and eliminating the need for the dreaded motorcycle tubes. It turns the outer tire into the motocross equivalent of a bicycle’s tubular tire into sew-up tire often seen on high-end racing bicycles.

Once installed on both the front and back, I developed a slow leak on the rear high-pressure bladder. I checked the web site and the solution was simple...empty the tire pressure in both chambers and squirt soapy water around the tire bead to increase the sealing factor by eliminating friction between the metal and the tire carcass. Presto, the soapy water suggestion worked! If you don't have soapy water, Armor All works fine.

Then it came time for a bike shop to balance the tire. The Tubliss tire system comes with a beefy metal rim lock and the result is in order to balance the tire, you will use almost double the amount of balancing weights to offset the internal rim lock mass (see gold rim lock below).

tubliss_tire.jpg

After the balancing, it is recommended to use your favorite tire sealant to help increase the puncture resistance qualities of the tire. I prefer Ride On, so I poured via the valve stem the correct amount based on the tire sizes. Then it came time for the test ride....

The Tubliss tire system has disclaimers stating that it's technology is only for off-road riding. I don't know why this matters but I think the liability attorney for Tubliss suggested inserting this to reduce legal risk. Anyway, eager to ride the bike on side streets and eventually move into the high-speed mode, I was curious to see how handling would be impacted.

After spending a few hours on the various local routes including high-speed bursts up to 85 mph, the Tubliss tire system worked well. I did not detect any vibration or wobbling due to the extra balancing weights or the added tire sealant liquid. Eventually, a few days later I was afforded the chance to take a quick 800 mile weekend trip consisting of both on and off-road tracks. The Tubliss system again worked very well. I checked the pressure on several occasion and no leaks were detected. A word of caution about tire pressure...

The bicycle high-pressure tube portion has to be kept at 100-110 psi, so if you're running a small air-pressure pump off the bike's electrical current, most portable pumps may NOT be able to fill a bicycle tube to 100 psi, which might require a CO2 cartridge system or a high-pressure bike pump. I even encountered some gasoline stations air pump not having sufficient pressure to fill the high-pressure tube. I would suggest checking the ability of your portable pump to fill the inner chamber to it's capacity of 110 psi in the comfort of your garage instead of on a road trip!

Nevertheless, the Tubliss tire system delivered on it's promise. As a matter of fact, I can't imagine ever using tubes tires again! The other benefits is you can run the tire pressure very low and not have to worry about a pinch flat often associated with tubed tires. Additionally, should you get a puncture than cannot be repaired with a plug kit, you simply remove the tire and leave the Tubliss tire in place. It is so easy. So, I would give Tubliss tire system a five of five stars. It is an product worthy of it's claim.

available-sizes.jpg

http://www.nuetech.com/

I wish they had them in more sizes. The 18" system they have is good up to 2.15" width rims -- mine is 2.5". And for some reason I doubt they ever monkey with developing a 14x5.5" size... :lol2:

trey

Red Brown,

What kind of warranty does Tubliss come with? I searched but couldn't find any info on their website.

_

Great write up Red! Have you done any tire changing with traditional rim locks and tubes before? I was just wondering how the ease of install was with the Tubliss system compared to a standard rim lock wheel.

I don't think the street legal WR's come with rim locks from the factory do they?

Red, thanks for the write-up.

The problem with tubeless tires is not all tire damage can be fixed by plugs. For example, a slice-type cut can't be plugged and this type of tire damage is not uncommon on rocky roads. However, it can be (at least temporarily) be fixed by inserting a tube. Even larger slices of an inch or longer can sometimes be patched enough to limp along by placing an extra layer of cut-up tube between the tire damage and the tube.

This has been my experience riding my tubeless BMW GS in the boonies. When I go into the boonies, spare tubes come along.

Having to carrying spare tubes, at least to me, defeats the purpose of the tubliss technology.

Thanks again for the review and for starting the discussion.

Regards,

Joel.

Last edited:
Having to carrying spare tubes, at least to me, defeats the purpose of the tubliss technology.

Joel, that's been my hold up on it as well. I would never carry just a plug kit and a compressor of some sort even with the Tubliss system. Number one, tire slices are fairly common where I ride, but I've also gotten 6" long pieces of steel through my tire, which could easily punch right through that small tube of the Tubliss setup.

So for me, if I'm going to still have to carry spare tubes, why the extra cost in the first place? Not to mention that now I might also have to carry a CO2 kit to get the inner bladder up to 100+psi if it starts to leak down.

Red, thanks for the write-up.

The problem with tubeless tires is not all tire damage can be fixed by plugs. For example, a slice-type cut can't be plugged and this type of tire damage is not uncommon on rocky roads.

This has been my experience riding my tubeless BMW GS in the boonies. When I go into the boonies, spare tubes come along.

A majority of tire punctures tend to happen in the tread portion and not the side part of the tire. Thus, the Tubliss product deals with the significant episodes of tire penetrations. As an added layer of safety, it might be prudent to take an additional spare tube in the event of aggressive sidewall damage etc. as you suggested.

Based on my understanding of the product, penetration and destruction of the red colored high-pressure chamber or bladder is VERY rare. In such a case, a simple bicycle tube can be used as a replacement.

After many discussions on the Adventure rider forums, and with very experienced dirt riders, the preponderance of opinion tends to be that the Tubliss tire system is an excellent product.

With regards to the warranty coverage, it includes issues relating with any structural defects. Beyond that, if in the case you drive a large spike in the middle of the tire and shred the inner high-pressure bladder, I don't have an answer.

Tubliss-Tubeless.jpg

Changing old biking habits about tubed tires is tough....I wish the inventor of the Tubliss tire system much success in the coming years.

BTW, the motorcycle retail store Cycle Gear is also another vendor for the product.

RB

Based on my understanding of the product, penetration and destruction of the red colored high-pressure chamber or bladder is VERY rare. In such a case, a simple bicycle tube can be used as a replacement.

Are you sure about this bicycle tube thing? The bike tubes I have seen will give it up long before 100 psi unless there is a tire backing it up.

So now I gotta carry a spare regular tube AND a spare bicycle tube?!?!?:eek2::lol2:

had you given any thought to those "solid" tubes?
can't remember what they are called, but I've read that some enduro/hare scramble riders use them. Though I don't think they're recomended for highway speed

had you given any thought to those "solid" tubes?
can't remember what they are called, but I've read that some enduro/hare scramble riders use them. Though I don't think they're recomended for highway speed

A freind of mine tried one during a Baja 500. By the end of the race it was so battered it had come apart and it was like riding on a flat. May be good for shorter events but not a long enduro. I believe he is sold on the Tubliss system for his next Baja event for the front to avoid pinch flats. He runs the thickest monster tube in a very stiff sidewall tire on the rear. YMMV

I put a set on about 6 weeks ago and have accumulated about 3000 miles split between hwy and hard off road trails. Have Stan's sealant in the tire and started at 14 psi. Now riding at 12 psi for the last 1000 miles and I think I will stick with that.

I ride daily and sometimes I just forget to check the pressure and I may have lost 5 or 10 lbs. in the tube in a week's time. Once I was down to 60 psi in the tube and didn't realize it until the end of the day after a long 200 mile off road ride. No problem, tire stayed on the rim just fine. No dings in my rim despite hitting hundreds of topes and potholes the last 6 weeks also.

I'm curious if anyone has installed some Ride On or Stan's, Slime etc into the actual Tubliss tube? I don't know much about sealants, but maybe that would cure my slow leak down that I'm having. I've checked the valve cores and they seem to be ok.

The second problem is now that I finally have confidence and traction I am riding more aggressively than before. So I am getting myself in more trouble than before, but I think I will get caught up on the learning curve soon.

Rode yesterday along the border of Michoacan and Jalisco about 150 mi of dirt on abandoned logging roads. Lots of deep ruts on steep ascents and descents along with tons of loose rocks. Tubliss gave me tractor-like traction up and down. Couldn't be happier.

SanJoseGracia001-1.jpg

SanJoseGracia003-1.jpg

SanJoseGracia013.jpg

SanJoseGracia009-1.jpg

SanJoseGracia010-1.jpg

Back