• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

U.S. General Tool Boxes?

DFW_Warrior

Hmmmm.....
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Anyone have any experience with this line of tool boxes? I'm thinking about picking up the large rolling cart and top chest for the garage. I know, I know... Harbor Freight bad.... but so far the reviews I've found online are pretty decent for them.

Rolling Cart

Top Chest

What do you think?

I'd have to say they seem decent enough in store, obviously not quite as smooth/polished as the more brand-name versions, but they will probably do just fine in a home where they aren't used everyday for making a living.

I'd also say to make sure you check the actual unit you buy at the store before taking delivery. I say this because I've also heard of people getting a box from Sears, and having to return it due to a malfunctioning drawer, or some other major thing.

I always say HF has cheap garbage, but then I also say I've bought plenty of stuff from them. Most recently an angle grinder for something like $15-$20.:mrgreen:

::EDIT:: I think most of the things I've heard people say about the chests are things I have also noticed on the low end of boxes for Craftsman, such as the smoothness of the drawers, and having to either use two hands, or one hand right at the center to pull it open. The really nice ones open smoothly even when you pull a heavily loaded drawer from one extreme end.

I would have to see it before buying it. The things that will make a box that you will enjoy using for years to come is the slides and next will be finish. If it has a cheap finish, it will rust cause you will knock paint off with use.

A few more dollars should get you a stainless box. I got this one at Sams for around $800 and the slides are so smooth and are mounted at a slight negative angle that they shut on their own when you let go.

Sorry for the bad pic, I snagged it from a larger picture.

toolbox.jpg

HF is ok if you're looking for occassional use only - like my electric impact wrench.

I got a rolling tool chest a couple of years ago from Walmart (don't remember the brand). Yes, it's not top quality, but it was also about $60 or $70 and has more than served its purpose. I have another plastic tool box on top to hold screwdrivers, etc.

I think that part of what the decision boils down to is this: how much and how hard of use are you going to put it through.

I bought this the side box that matches what your looking at.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90321

to go with the Box I purchased at Sams club about 10 years ago. Mine is similar to the one Desert Skies has, except mine has a black textured finish.

The HF side box is pretty well made. Has ball bearing drawer slides and a decent finish. I've had it several years and it's held up well.

I use both boxes every day and consider both purchases money very well spent.

If you can get over the HF stigma, I'd go for it.

If you can get over the HF stigma, I'd go for it.

Don't worry about me having a problem with HF stuff. I'm the guy that currently has over 200 tire changes on his $70 HF tire changer.:lol2:

I saw a chest of drawers on the side of the road for free today , that works almost as good as a 10,000 dollar snap on box and regardles of which one you get it wont effect you mechanic skills a bit so look at the box , if its the right size and the drawers dont flex so bad they fall out if your tools are out of balance it will probly work just fine for you . If you were working out of it every day and had to move it around or carry it in a truck you would want one that was stout . For home use and not abuse almost anything will work . No need in wasting big bucks on something that just sits there 350 days a year . One of the tool boxes in my shop is a Snap On chest my Dad bought in 1952 . SEYA

I'd take that flyer down to my local store and see if they would still honor that price. I bet they would! I did the same thing with the 4 x 8 trailer they sell. They matched the price even though the sale was about a week old.

GO FOR IT!!!

I've got to check into one of those tire changing stands...

I like the roller suspension. My old Craftsman has sliders that are worn out.

My cheap little craftsman box does te exact same thing my friends snap-on and cornwell boxes do.... hold tools, though not as many :lol2:
I would say as long as it has ball bearing drawer slides, you're good. That's the only thing wish I would ponied up the extra.

Too bad you didn't mention this before we left. I'd have made you a grand deal on a HUGE lower craftsman set...or If your coming back thru...:mrgreen:

I looked at pretty much all I could find, HF, HD, Lowe's, Sam's, Costco, etc., the mid-range one at HF is OK, definitely better than their base model. The stainless ones at Sam's and Costco were very nice but the models they had at the time were the larger and more pricey ones. I ended up getting a mid-level 3 cabinet Craftsman set on sale at Christmas slightly cheaper than the mid-range HF model (I think the US General).

I have that tool box at work. I do maintenance for Igloo and have that box LOADED and it works well. I even put taller wheel/tires on it, added a hitch and tow it behind golf carts. So far it is holing up great even after I tipped it over once.

Thanks for the info Dwayne. That's what I was hoping to hear about them.

Back