• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help planning a trip!

Boskru

Reaction score
So I'm pretty new here. I grew up overseas and was riding dirtbikes since I was about 9. I moved back to the US and couldn't afford a dirtbike for a long time. I'm just about done rebuilding a 2000 XR400. I may have a few weeks off work coming up and I was thinking it might be nice to go out on a week long dirtbike adventure.

I live in the Fort Worth area and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Part of me had thought about trying to do a section of the transAmerican trail but that would require quite a bit of driving to get there first.

Any ideas?

Hidden Falls is a fun place to ride but it's down west of Austin. There's a group meeting Easter weekend http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81942 . There's also Crooked Creek by Waco but I haven't ridden there yet. You have a couple of places up closer to you like Barnwell Mountain. Check the Impending Dust Storms and Mud Baths section. Also look in the After The Dust Settles and The Mud Dries section for reports, pics, and videos.

Catch ya on the trail. :rider:

Big Bend National Park and Big Bend State Park. Plenty of riding to last a week.

Real open country dirt bike adventures are difficult to come by in the Lone Star state. Some good suggestions have been mentioned. Another consideration might be to take a look at one of the many loops being developed by riders on this board and ADV. GPX files for the East Texas 450, Heart of Texas ADV ride or the Lubbock - Fort Worth loop could easily provide the background for a week's worth of knocking around on mostly dirt roads. Make a few minor adjustments to find parks for camping or hotels and you're ready to go. Keep in mind that stopping and pitching camp in any field might be more trouble than it is worth. Most landowners are decent enough guys, but trespassing laws are definately on their side - with or without a sign.

m

Thanks so much for the help. I will start looking at some of the routes. I think the Fort Worth-Lubbock route looks fun. I'll have to invest in a GPS to help me track that long of a route. Plus, I'm guessing that I'd have get the bike registered in order to complete the road portions. Still have a bit of work before I could get the bike registered.

Back