• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

tire mounting w/ ZIP-TIES

Reaction score
did a quick scan of the maintenance subjects & didn't see where this had been posted, b4

the guy DISMOUNTS his old tire W/O TIRE IRONS, JUST ZIP-TIES

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZTSdokVEIs"]How to dismount motorcycle tire with zipties - YouTube[/ame]

& INSTALLS tires on his bike, w/ ZIP-TIES & NO TIRE IRONS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI01yB8clSM&feature=youtu.be

¿ REAL OR MEMOREX ?

Tried this on my first ever tubeless tire install without success. But I was installing a Full Bore USA radial and I have heard more than a few say this is the hardest tire they ever tried to install as many gave up and let a shop with a machine do it for them. I did mine with spoons but using way more force than I felt comfortable with.

_

I particularly enjoyed the running commentary / cheering section in the background.

Interesting.
But tire irons can be had for as cheap as $5 apiece. Of course, you won't get a cheering section using irons.

I'm at work so I can't see that video. Never tried dismounting them with just zip ties but I have mounted them using zip ties only. Some are easier than others but I'll stick to using my tire machine when possible. I just wanted to see if I could do it after having heard it talked about.

as hard as getting a stiff carcass race tire mounted with irons is, I couldn't image doing it with zip ties

No video on putting on the zip ties. On some of the very firm sidewall tires that alone could be a challenge. But who doesn't like a challenge[emoji16]

ATGATT.
" I never worry about getting lost.
I just change where I plan on going."
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used the big heavy duty zip ties on my BMW k100. Worked ok, I did use tire lube and a tire iron at the finish of mounting. Guess that was kind of cheating. Ken in Katy.

If you unlock those zip ties when done, you can use them forever. Just slip a thin, stiff piece of wire or plastic between the locking tab and the belt, and you can pull it off. If you do this from the side the tip of the belt is inserted into, you can re-use the zip tie a long time before they stop latching. I do this but I've never had one long enough to have it quit working. I have a little dental pick I use for it that does the job remarkably well.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJD4XKOXilg"]How to re-use and or unlock Zip Ties, tie wraps. - YouTube[/ame]

That fellow has more tat and muscle than I do, I well just go ahead and have Daves Cycle do mine. Yep the Full Bores require some special touches. Some call it grunt force. I just make the noises now, not much else. ;-)

Back