• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2009 KLR rear brake issue...

Reaction score
hey buds,

so I've noticed the past couple times I've taken her out for a spin the rear brake seems to "Stick" during the first 2 or so minutes of the ride (not enough to stop me in my tracks, but enough to make it a lil difficult to push her along with my feet on the pavement.) it only happens after i hit the hooks the first time, then it seems to loosen up and go back to normal. any idea why this might be happening?

thanks!
john

Coming from Chicago the answer is easy.
Corrosion of the caliper pistons and or caliper pins.
The heat from the dragging friction causes expansion and loosening up.
As it does loosen up after a short bit I would suspect the sled pins. Caliper pistons sticking generally makes them bite more as the piston and the fluid heats up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Mine will do that when the caliper pins (the dowels that the calipers slide on) are dirty. It's a quick job to clean them with some brake cleaner and your wife's toothbrush...or whatever. Also, the piston can get pretty nasty and cleaning its travel path is a good thing to do.

Back