• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-Strom 650 vs 1000

On call this weekend for work, so I can't leave the county, but I hope to make a run up to the cabin on Lake Palo Pinto on it soon. FM 4 from Santo to the lake is great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Do a loop on Ward Mtn & Chestnut To the east from 4 at Lone Camp...comes out on 129 near Brazos

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Do a loop on Ward Mtn & Chestnut To the east from 4 at Lone Camp...comes out on 129 near Brazos

I'll look that up!

I have dreams of getting a hitch and trailer for it to tow my kayak around.

On call this weekend for work, so I can't leave the county, but I hope to make a run up to the cabin on Lake Palo Pinto on it soon. FM 4 from Santo to the lake is great.

That whole area Is My stomping grounds. Burn many a gallon of gas on FM4 Chestnut mtn ECT ect.

Grew up in Palo Pinto. Went to school in MW

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That whole area Is My stomping grounds. Burn many a gallon of gas on FM4 Chestnut mtn ECT ect.

Grew up in Palo Pinto. Went to school in MW

Cool! I grew up in Johnson County, and moved to Stephenville 3 years ago. My uncle has had a cabin on the southern part of the lake since the early 80s. Beautiful area.

Cool! I grew up in Johnson County, and moved to Stephenville 3 years ago. My uncle has had a cabin on the southern part of the lake since the early 80s. Beautiful area.

Oooh... & that drive around the south side of the lake! Kinda bumpy in spots...but dramatic twists too

Getting called into work on Sunday isn't so bad...
d2dcb6f4854ab9d6f4af1bcc7494905b.jpg

Lemme know when you head out for a day ride.

I rode 35 miles of dirt roads south of New York Hill

If you plant to ride off the pavement, I would recommend a bash plate to protect the header and oil filter. Cheap insurance.

If you plant to ride off the pavement, I would recommend a bash plate to protect the header and oil filter. Cheap insurance.
Cheap Insurance. I destroyed one bash plate and am on my second one. My right hand crash guard has also been rewelded.

Cheap Insurance. I destroyed one bash plate and am on my second one. My right hand crash guard has also been rewelded.

I was riding in SW Colorado with some guys on V Strom 1Ks (I was on my 1150 GS). While stopped to enjoy the scenery, we noticed that one corner of one guy's bash plate had been completely ripped through. The bolt was still there with the corner of the plate, but it was no longer holding the rest of the plate. There was a massive dent in the bottom of the plate where he had bottomed hard on a rock. However, the bike was fine.

The original one I used had standard hex bolts holding the rear of the plate and hung down below the plate. They hung on everything and caused a lot of the bending and damage. I hammered the rear mount straight so many time it finally ripped though.

Basically every time I changed the oil I had to straighten the rear mount and hammer the plate back out straight. I went with Enduro Guardian for the second one and the rear mount is much better. The bolts are up on the side and they are rounded carriage type bolts. Much better design. I want to say the original was Hepco Becker plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point! Flush or recessed bolt heads are a must on a bash plate or they will get hammered by rocks!

I don't plan on doing much off-roading (famous last words), but I never did notice how much everything was exposed until I was changing the oil on Monday. Positive side, that oil filter is easy to get to!

Back