• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sunglasses

Reaction score
This is a bit of an odd request but I need suggestions on decent sunglasses. My problem is that occasionally when I ride in the nearby area without a helmet I simply can't go much faster than 30mph due to the wind in my eyes. My current sunglasses help a little but it's not enough.

I guess I need something with more coverage over the entire eye socket area and preferably ones that have the straight...temple? is that the word? The thing that goes over your ears and usually curves downward. I need a pair that is simply straight so that they'd be easy to put on with my helmet.

I'm a huge fan of the Mine Safety Research (MSR) safety glasses when I ride as I like to flip up the faceshield a lot. Not only do I get full wrap around protection from wind and elements, I get a safety glass (plastic) so I don't fret too much about a rock headed my way.

Any of the ICE or first few rows here are great... You can also try Home Depot or Lowes for them or the 3M version. Just look for fairly straight arms so they slide in and out with a helmet on and look for the teardrop/wrap around lenses.

Source:
http://www.uline.com/Grp_208/Safety...gclid=CK694YDvycMCFYg-aQodtxkACg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm a huge fan of the Mine Safety Research (MSR) safety glasses when I ride as I like to flip up the faceshield a lot. Not only do I get full wrap around protection from wind and elements, I get a safety glass (plastic) so I don't fret too much about a rock headed my way.

Any of the ICE or first few rows here are great... You can also try Home Depot or Lowes for them or the 3M version. Just look for fairly straight arms so they slide in and out with a helmet on and look for the teardrop/wrap around lenses.

Source:
http://www.uline.com/Grp_208/Safety...gclid=CK694YDvycMCFYg-aQodtxkACg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Friend Jeff uses thes, had a spare on his bike for me while on the way back from Big Bend, and I bought a dozen by mail. So cheap, you don't worry about them.

I buy the 3M safety glasses at Home Depot for about 8 bucks. Kind of a reflective blue lens, they're pretty dark, durable and comfortable. Cheap enough to just buy new ones when the old ones get scratched. Go through about 3 pair a year.

Tractor Supply, near the front doors and probably on top of something.
Several styles, $10, and who's to say you ain't cool sportin' your Smith&Wessons.

Aside: The more I pay for sunglasses, the quicker I drop 'em and scratch 'em up, or sit on 'em, or leave them on a counter somewhere, or . . . . .

Nemesis safety glasses is what I use now. Although I used to use the dewalt branded ones. It is all subject to what we have to wear at work.

This type is awesome. They are cheap, comfortable and wrap around. If your work uses a safety company like Cintas or Zee ask the rep to see what he has on his truck and how much . They will usually give you a pair for free so you can try them. After the free pair I would usually sell them off the truck for $3 a piece

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/rugged-blue-diablo-safety-glasses.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=110076584898&gclid=CjwKEAiAxsymBRCegqiLzI7Q1S8SJADOgQrzb9oCEB6XhHx0VUa-tcJRjUizy7tQeJ9ndOiLryn69RoC-jLw_wcB

This type is awesome. They are cheap, comfortable and wrap around. If your work uses a safety company like Cintas or Zee ask the rep to see what he has on his truck and how much . They will usually give you a pair for free so you can try them. After the free pair I would usually sell them off the truck for $3 a piece *snip*

Free is awfully hard to beat.

Free is great.
That said, I've had horrible luck with cheap glasses.
Thus, I wear Oakley.
I *hate* distortion in my glasses, so this is one of the things that I look for when buying glasses.

They are expensive. No doubt about it. But since I've been wearing them for 15yrs and only on my 4th pair, it's annual costs are quite low.

Find an Oakley outlet and pick up one of their closeout models. I know there's one in Round Rock.
Also, if you buy them from an optometrist, there's no sales tax.

YMMV and all that.

the local(denton)industrial tool/fastener stores carry them for OSHA compliance and they even offer some w/ a BIFOCAL magnifier

clear, dark & mirrored

still under $20

sw

Cheap is good as long as the lens in the glasses provide 100% UV protection to protect the eyes from sun damage and reduce cataracts etc. I also like the added feature of polarization, which reduces glare. For the lens color, I prefer yellow tinting for evening, since it tends to increase or enhance the color contrast. For daytime riding, a great color to have is what is a neutral density gray that will darken slightly your riding world but not change your color perceptions. The lens tint that many folks prefer in sunglasses is called G-15, which is a combination of gray and green. It is the original tint that Bausch and Lomb used in their Ray-Ban sunglasses for pilots you see some people wearing etc.

Any cheap manufacturer can claim 100% UV protection, but a quick trip to a sun glass retailed can reveal the truth. They often have a special machine that determines the coating properties of the lens.

RB

There are a zillion riding glasses for anywhere from $10-50 at virtually every motorcycle shop that caters to the cruiser crowd. We do Global Vision and Maxx and a couple other brands in the inexpensive range. Many have foam padded frames to seal up around the eye socket better. Just try on a bunch to find what shape seals the best for your face shape. And they are virtually all marked shatter-proof plastic. Nothing special about the polycarbonate lenses used in moto glasses versus industrial safety glasses etc. Not that I'm sure there aren't some brands/quality levels that would be more impact resistant than others. But almost all of the lower price options will be cheaply made but take a somewhat reasonable hit. Keep in mind that doesn't mean they won't break on impact. Just that they are not supposed to shatter into all kinds of dangerous shards. Helmet visors that have to pass VESC8, etc. are a whole different thing, though, when it comes to safety. Personally, I can't stand distortion. Drives me nuts on a bike when things are moving through the periphery so quickly. So I can't do cheap helmet visors or cheap glasses.

Free is great.
That said, I've had horrible luck with cheap glasses.
Thus, I wear Oakley.
I *hate* distortion in my glasses, so this is one of the things that I look for when buying glasses.

They are expensive. No doubt about it. But since I've been wearing them for 15yrs and only on my 4th pair, it's annual costs are quite low.

Find an Oakley outlet and pick up one of their closeout models. I know there's one in Round Rock.
Also, if you buy them from an optometrist, there's no sales tax.

YMMV and all that.

Let me clarify. 75 percent of the time I wear my Costa Del Mar sunglasses with the glass lenses. I love those things but they can run ya a couple of hundred dollars. So, whenever I am doing things where I feel I am at risk of damaging or losing them I swap to the cheap ones. Things like running trout lines on the river, kayaking, beach trips, weed eating etc. I have had glasses fly off while riding a motorcycle so I would sport the cheap ones then too.

For those that can't stand distortion....wait until you start wearing progressive lenses.:eek:

For those that can't stand distortion....wait until you start wearing progressive lenses.:eek:

I'm wearing progressive lenses on my glasses and I'm wearing progressive contact lenses as well. I'm riding with my contact lenses on my bike, no issues.

I had progressive glasss for a week and got rid of them too. No way I could ride without a feeling of being out of control.

Benny Askins

Texas State Optical
6224 Camp Bowie
Ft. Worth, Texas 76116

817-737-7294 7 eyes motor-cycle goggles

I wear the same sunglasses I use every day. They are under a full-faced shield though. Currently I ihave a pair of Oakley (M-frames?) and a similar pair of Under Armor shades. High quality lenses are something I learned to appreciate working the streets for long hours. They were just so much easier on the eyes and the cost difference became a non-issue.

I wear the same sunglasses I use every day. They are under a full-faced shield though. Currently I ihave a pair of Oakley (M-frames?) and a similar pair of Under Armor shades. High quality lenses are something I learned to appreciate working the streets for long hours. They were just so much easier on the eyes and the cost difference became a non-issue.

+1

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This type is awesome. They are cheap, comfortable and wrap around. If your work uses a safety company like Cintas or Zee ask the rep to see what he has on his truck and how much . They will usually give you a pair for free so you can try them. After the free pair I would usually sell them off the truck for $3 a piece

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/rugged-blue-diablo-safety-glasses.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=110076584898&gclid=CjwKEAiAxsymBRCegqiLzI7Q1S8SJADOgQrzb9oCEB6XhHx0VUa-tcJRjUizy7tQeJ9ndOiLryn69RoC-jLw_wcB

Thanks for the link. I have some new shaded readers coming from them now. Half the price of the ones I used to buy and barely more than I was paying for just replacement lenses. I need the readers to see my GPS well, plain sunglasses make it worse than no glasses.

They may cost a tad more, but check into the Dewalt safety glasses you can normally find at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. They're really comfortable - to me, anyway - and you can get clear, smoked or whatever.

Oh, and the word you were looking for is "bows". But, the Dewalt's aren't straight. They bend some. There may be a straight offering, I'm not sure.

I'm unfortunate enough that I have to have two different glasses...one for close up, detail work, and another to drive/ride. /sigh

I'm a huge fan of Rudy Project. My wife and I have worn them for years. Most all of their frames offer removable lenses along with several lens options from clear to polarized. Often made of lightweight metals, their frames are extremely durable but in the event of damage most every part is replaceable.

My favorite part is their lens replacement policy where you send in your broken/damaged lenses with $25 and they'll send you a new pair with replacement nose pads, screws, and ear pieces.

They aren't cheap but if you watch their sale section you can get them at a significant discount. And they will also do prescription sunglasses too.

e-rudy.com

My current pair...

SN793898M_full.jpg

Oakley Gas Can...and yes, straight temple. No complaints so far.

NSA, this post is just for you.
Those are great. I went through only two pair of them in my 9 years in the Army, and only because the first pair got stolen. They handle abuse very well.

Back