• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Great Divide Ride: June 10 - 16, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have the route downloaded. which one do most plan on taking? i am guessing the blue is the main route and the red is the more difficult and the green is the easy one? i am planing one the blue and red if that is correct . if someone knows the route please let me know if i am correct .. thank you

your assumption of the colors are correct, get you some maps to go along with your GPS and mark them up are get the GDMBR maps there the same track for the most part, you may need them if something happens.

Maps (adventurecycling.org)

Aaron

i have the route downloaded. which one do most plan on taking? i am guessing the blue is the main route and the red is the more difficult and the green is the easy one? i am planing one the blue and red if that is correct . if someone knows the route please let me know if i am correct .. thank you
If you are riding a big bike, I am would plan on the green and blue.

My Vacation has been booked. June 8th through June 19th. I need to register next.

Collin

I booked my hotels today. I will be riding from Houston if anyone is interested.

How hard was to find rooms in all of the place we are stopping in are did you have to move out of town some to find the rooms

Aaron

Rooms are still available but not necessarily cheap in some hotels. Most expensive are Silver City, Del Norte, and Steamboat (just over 150/night). Apparently there is some type of festival in Silver City that weekend. And the Windsor in Del Norte only had kingsize beds left.

I plan on leaving DFW Friday around noon, go about 300 -400 miles and camp. Make it to Silver city saturday afternoon. There are several camp sites north of town a few miles.

Probably camp at Harry McAdams Park in Hobbs NM Friday night. About 375 miles from DFW airport. I plan on taking 180 all the way across west Texas (cant stand interstates unless I am on the goldwing lol)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Simmons1, misterk's plan seems very similar to what we discussed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother-in-law and I are planning similarly. I think we were hoping to make it to Carlsbad to camp though on Friday from Southlake, but we are probably open.

Richard, I'd like to join you on this ride. I'm on my 2015 KTM690, and it's kitted for long, nasty Mexico trips.

Fang, KTM690 is my next bike I think... Can't wait to see it on the trip...

Fang, KTM690 is my next bike I think... Can't wait to see it on the trip...

Jamie. I've had a lot of bikes - used to work in the industry... and the KTM690 Enduro R is hands-down, without pause the finest machine I have ever owned. Period. Since buying it in October 2016 I've put about 8000 miles on it, 5000 of those were In Mexico, mostly off-road... and it is always fantastic.

If you like "this kind of bike" you will love the 690.
-fang

Oh, I just double checked my dates, and I have a friend getting married in Oregon on July 22nd, 2017. So it looks like I'll be riding with you guys, then driving on from the North end of the trail.

I will be carrying camping gear, but would love to share a hotel room some or all nights. I'm very happy tossing my camp mattress on the floor and pitching in $$. Is anyone available to share rooms or to become available as a "bad weather back-up plan" to potentially share a room some nights if its rainy or real ugly out?

P.S. I snore most loudly around beautiful women, and I like to fart when I wake up in the morning.

Thanks!
-Steve

I love dual sports... I have had a couple KLR250's a WR250 and my current bike KLR650... I live the weight of the 250's for more off-road fun but not enough horsepower... I really do like my 650 and I do think it is a really good all around dual sport... But, it obviously lacks in the horsepower category... I really like to ride hard when on trails and I like to pull the front end up a lot... The KLR is pretty heavy and can be a chore during hard off roading... The KTM seems to be the best of both worlds... Significant horsepower and lightweight.... I would hope that it is bearable in long road trips as well... This summer we are going on the Continental Divide Ride and I know the KLR will perform flawlessly on the long road trip but I'm sure the KLR will perform flawlessly and so much fun on the trails....

I meant the KTM will be so much fun on the trails...

To me the KTM690 is a great machine, it is better off road than all the 800 adventure bikes, but it is not a dirt bike like the 350 or 500. I just wish Yamaha would make a WR450 dualsport. Or Suzuki would modernize the DR400 (6 gears and FI). :)

Hey fellers, not likely to make this ride, Just been lurking on TWT For a while... and I wish I could go again. I rode the divide from Mexico to Steamboat, August, 2008 (monsoon season) on a KLR650. Was a great adventure. Very happy to have chosen stock size D606 tires and stock exhaust. Best advise I got and will pass on (and I love to race) is that it ain't a race. Loud pipes WILL ruin it for everyone. You must have a plated bike and it must have an approved spark arrester. The NM authorities have no sense of humor on this and CO is worse. We do not want to mess this opportunity up. It is a trail ride, and a fantastic experience. And so far it's free. It can be done on a XT 250, xr400, xr650(bigger tank) KLR, Orange stuff, Silver stuff, Green stuff... just be prepared. Pack light, crowds are tough, two or three like-riders is fun. Somebody has to carry tire repair tools, tubes, air pump or cartridges. Everyone carries water and some food. Be prepared to hard camp. Have your riding gear already broke in. Bungy cords suck, mule tape rules, para cord is great. Pick up BMW and Tiger parts on the trail, trade them for gas or pie in town. Sorry, but if you have to ride something huge or exotic, be prepared to pick up a muddy, heavy, slippery, broken bike, dig mud out of swingarms and low front fenders. I've lashed handlebars on a KTM, seen low front fenders removed and rerouted or disconnected dual front brake lines... stitched plastic with safety wire. Seen KTM and BMW parts (and hard bag keys!) Fedexed overnight to motels...comraderie? Ugh. Some rescue is inevitable.... But not a glitch on the Dirt Ninja. I Was afraid of taking the new at the time klr650 with all the Ninja looking plastic, but it somehow worked without fail. It may have something to do with weighing way under 500 lbs... check out Bigdog adventure's videos about packing well, packing light. I read somewhere in this thread about "packing enough clothes for five days". That's some funny stuff right there, but in all fairness, not everyone has had these kind of experiences, so "credit card camping" is a great idea when it works. You will be in an unforgiving wilderness, far from "help". Be prepared to self rescue. Mostly...Have the time of your life.

Can you confirm my payment I mailed it months ago however the site doesn't indicate that. Thx Cowboyup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back