• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Victory fail/closing [merged]

Actually, I've given thought to a Verseys or maybe finding a used WeeStrom since I like the SV650 engine a lot. It'd be faster and more comfy on the road. A full sized 1000cc VStrom wouldn't be out of the question either now that I have an ATV to take care of chores out back, wouldn't need to try to make a dirt bike out of it which it isn't. :D

But, for now, I don't ride enough anymore to justify it. My rides to Utah, Sturgis, Daytona are in the past I'm afraid. I really don't have the desire to make a long ride anymore. All I ride is short day rides around the area. I'd like a bike that handled the curvy roads better, but I guess I could do like one of my KLR riding buddies and stiffen the suspension or just send it off to Linderman to do work on it, which is what I've done with race bikes in the past. They do GREAT work. It's always a compromise, the rough dirt roads around here vs the curvy asphalt. :D So, I've don't little, but live with the KLR and, frankly, it's a great little bike, even comfy enough to tour on solo. :D

I know dozens of Iron Butt riders who often do 1000+ mile days on 1000 vStroms. The big Stroms just get down the road at illegal speeds and run all day long without missing a beat, simple maintenance, long service intervals, much gentler manners than and much superior comfort compared to crotch rockets, lots cheaper than touring bikes, any conceivable farkle is available, ... . It's the KLR of distance rides, not really the best of anything, but really close across the board.

That said, many vStrom 1000 distance riders have a SV650 or vStrom 650 in the garage for twisties. The smaller, lighter versions are far superior for that use. Lots of vStrom 650s with suspension, brake, tire, and programming upgrades that significantly raise the bar. Many of these folks also have a VanVan or TW200 for places not paved, they feel as you that vStroms are not dirt bikes and would not insult them as so.

People buy metric cruisers to save some money and attempt to be cool like a Harley rider.

Exactly.

Several years ago I looked hard a buying a Victory for touring.

It made no sense. Victory quality and Fit-n-Finish was on par with Honda, but not BMW/Harley level. Yet Victory asked BMW/Harley prices.

Imagine how small the market was for this...

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/baggers/magnum-x-1

hpSFWiM.png

Exactly.

Several years ago I looked hard a buying a Victory for touring.

It made no sense. Victory quality and Fit-n-Finish was on par with Honda, but not BMW/Harley level. Yet Victory asked BMW/Harley prices.

Imagine how small the market was for this...

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/baggers/magnum-x-1

hpSFWiM.png

I suppose the market was small enough they couldn’t justify continuing to build them, but I think that’s a better looking bike than all but one current Harley model.

I always liked the idea that Victory offered similar ergonomics and physical characteristics to Harley models, but with more contemporary styling. Harley has improved some in that area in the last few years, but the vast majority of their bikes still look very dated to me.

The fact that Victory was dumped in favor of Indian would indicate that my desire for more modern styling on that kind of bike is a rarity.

...I think that’s a better looking bike than all but one current Harley model.

Ironically, the reason I considered Victory is because long-term parts availability is a huge deal for me.

I was perturbed the first time I inquired why my local Yam/Hon/Suz dealer had a sign above their parts counter stating "WE DO NOT REPAIR BIKES OLDER THAN 15 YEARS".

"Can't get parts for 'em." was the Service Manager's response.

My thought: "Well, I can still get parts for BMW and Harleys made in the 1930's."

I thought Victory was in for the long-haul. I studied their engines a LOT. Their engines looked suitable for "fix-n-ride-forever", which is an important factor for me.

Back