• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AR Forest Service Road info?

Tom

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Lowry
My annual Arkansas leaf-lookie ride is close at hand. So many times I always see these FS roads peeling off the main track and wonder where the go, do they go through, do they get impassable somewhere down the trail?.

Anybody aware of where to get info like this on them? Since I do this ride solo on the GS, not interested in riding the big pig down some goat trail but mild gravel roads through the forest are more to my liking.

Thanks.

:tab My experience is that the five digit numbered roads should be avoided with the big bikes. They often turn into steep and possibly rough ATV trails. If you are on the regular four digit numbered forest roads, only a handful of them get bad enough that you would not want to be on a big bike. Most don't even warrant knobbies.

:tab The area North and Northeast of Clarksville has a LOT of nice roads suitable for a GS.

Thanks Scott, I'll keep that in mind. What got me thinking is I was looking for a different way out of Mena to Mt Magazine and saw RF18 that cut up to Blue Mt Lake. From what you just said, sounds like a dirt interstate. :rider:

:tab Arkansas is funny. The forest roads are either really easy, like you can drive any car down them, or they are pretty tough. There doesn't seem to be much in between. The easy stuff will usually run parallel to the ridges/valleys, and the rough ones just go straight up the slope, usually without any switchbacks. There are a few exceptions, but if I were taking my GS, I would stick to the easy stuff. Now if I were taking the KTM... :trust:

Back