• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Missed the BMW recall... got bit.

The first time I rode mine was heading back here. I got between Fredericksburg and Junction when the low fuel indicator came on and started counting down miles to empty. When it went from sixty something to twenty something miles to empty in about 3 miles I was looking for a leak. Found gas in a small town as it was under ten to empty and had to squeeze 3.2 gallons into the tank. I now ignore the low fuel indicator since I seem to have about 70 miles of range on empty. Above half a tank it seems to work, after that I use the trip meter just like the old days before gas gauges.

I will have to check the service record and see if the prior owner had this recall done.

They tried to fix mine a couple times before BMW told them that's the way it is.

Yes that is the way it is and it's your fault !!!!! Just ask them ! :rofl:

I have two BMWs both with well over 100,000 miles on them. Neither has been to a dealer since 2005 when I bought the GS from Lone Star. Now since LS has sold and changed hands not sure I would take either to them if that had to happen. Closest BMW dealer I would use is BMW of Bentinville AR. I am sure they would not only be willing but also able to work on my 31 year old airhead.
Last time I was there one of owners had there R90S on the show room floor, and was riding his Matchless scrambler back and forth to work.

They just don't make BMW's like they used to.

Well, I disagree. I'm extremely happy with my Bimmer, it's the third in a row. The '08 has tons of tech and safety features vs my first '81. Considering all the HP they've added, mine seems like an unstoppable fast reving "sewing machine" as one of my coworkers once called it.

wait a minute! let's get the story straight! the g.m. at wild west motoplex has retired. one parts counterman has left. Dave Krogman (the bmw tech since 1986) and myself Dan (service manager since day one 03/15/83) ARE still here! having too much fun working on motorcycles ! ya'll enjoy!

Glad that event did not turn out for the worse. And it looks like it will still be in good hands at WW.

physical plant up-grades at the wild west; if anyone walks through or looks into our old longtime workshop it will appear vacated! that's because the techs just moved into our new work area in the recently converted warehouse space. the remodel will be in-process over the next 6-9 months, as we are also building-out new service lobby and office space, moving the parts dept. back into the "old" work area and converting that floor area to increased showroom and accessories displays. thank you, good customers have made this a reality.

wait a minute! let's get the story straight! the g.m. at wild west motoplex has retired. one parts counterman has left. Dave Krogman (the bmw tech since 1986) and myself Dan (service manager since day one 03/15/83) ARE still here! having too much fun working on motorcycles ! ya'll enjoy!

Frank has retired? Heck, he's younger than I am. Still got Bo trying to sell bikes? I meant to stop by on the way to Louisiana the other day but missed the exit and didn't want to try to find my way back. Next time. And I want to see where you managed to put the Yamaha's.
Robert

we're making room for Yamaha by shuffling floor space ....next project is the parking garage?

Some day I want to get over there and watch you guys pushing all those bikes out the door in the morning. And now that we are a BMW and Yamaha family maybe I can persuade Dan to work on my bikes. My Yamaha experience was mostly 2-strokes back in the 60's and 70's.
Who took Frank's job?
Robert

:tab Good news.

:tab I had to be in South Houston Friday. So I took the bike down to Wild West on Thursday and dropped it off. Got a message Friday afternoon that it was ready to go. However, I could not get back to that side of town until Friday night after closing. Squeaky graciously offered me their new pull out couch so I saved the cost of a hotel Friday night and was able to pick up the bike the next morning. Her and Jamie live about five minutes from the shop.

:tab The bike really needs its scheduled tune up right now. I have been so busy the last six months that I've only been able to ride it maybe 3-4 times and have not had time to work on it. As of Friday, I now have a bit more free time so oil, valves, and a throttle body syncing are on the to do list in the near future. I plan to even get the KTM fired up for some fun time.

:tab I have been happy with the service and will continue to use Wild West while I have a BMW.

Wild West always works on my RS and I think they do great work.

My 2003 had the cracked plastic connectors - high pressure gas squirting all over my leg, the car next to me ... good grief. The work around was some aftermarked stainless connectors with viton o-rings. BMW must assign the design of their fuel system to the Finance interns who get a kick out of cutting cost. Other than that though, it's a great BMW, even better than the old ones!

Dave.

Except the old ones never sprayed high pressure gas or had flaming final drives!

Except the old ones never sprayed high pressure gas or had flaming final drives!

Well.... there was a quick connect recall issue on my 02 1150 GS and the final drive did basically explode on me while leaned over at 70mph... Other than that though, I loved the bike!

I've been dealing with Wild West for more years than I can recall.

Bo and Roy have always treated me right on bike purchases. They don't sell junk like some other dealers around Houston.

Indy and Pappy (Joe) in the parts dept have bent over backwards helping me source parts for my newest restoration project, a 1983 R100RT. I'm amazed that BMW still supports older bikes.

Dan Drom and Dave in the service dept have always been very helpful and my experience is that they get it right the first time.

No, I don't own stock in WW.

By the way, you probably know this, but there's nothing cheap about owing a motorcycle. :eek2:

Ken Daigrepont
Houston

What's going on at WW?
I've bought a LOT of parts there, and have had nothing but good experience. OEM parts for the KTM are just as cheap or close to what I can find online, and they get the parts pretty quick. Pappy is always friendly and helpful
And remembers me when I go in. The parts manager (or former maybe?) was pretty cool too. Gave me a really good deal on my gopro a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back