• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Stability Control gains traction

jsb223

Reaction score
First Name
jsb223
Bosch's world-first Motorcycle Stability Control gains traction

Robert Bosch LLC's Motorcycle Stability Control (MSC), the world's first all-in-one safety system for motorcycles, is rolling out to a few more models. MSC is designed to measure key motorcycle data and intervene in critical situations, resulting in improved rider safety.

MSC was first launched in 2013 on KTM's 1190 Adventure models. In September 2014, KTM announced it will install the system on its new 2015 1290 Super Adventure. The technology also was recognized during the recent 2014 "Dinner for Winner" event in Brussels, Belgium, where it received an Innovation Award in the safety category.

The MSC system, based on a Bosch anti-lock braking system (ABS) and featuring a lean angle sensor, constantly measures wheel speed, yaw rate, lean angle, and pitch angle to modulate braking and acceleration, ensuring optimal safety in all riding situations, including difficult maneuvers and cornering.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otATPnT-qAU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otATPnT-qAU[/ame]

The system applies acceleration and braking proportionally to prevent the wheels from locking, spinning, or lifting from the ground, and monitors the riding situation to achieve maximum deceleration in straight-line braking.

"With nearly half of all motorcycle fatalities occurring along curves, this technology will help riders to pilot safely through these challenging situations," said Frank Sgambati, director of marketing and product innovation for Chassis Systems Control, Robert Bosch LLC.

Each year, nearly 5,000 motorcycle fatalities occur in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and 80,000 deaths happen worldwide. By combining the benefits of ABS and MSC, Bosch aims to help riders gain more precise control and improved safety performance for their motorcycles.

Bosch offers a modular approach to motorcycle safety technologies, including ABS units to suit any type of motorized two-wheeler that features a hydraulic brake system. The portfolio ranges from a single hydraulic brake channel to control the front wheel, to a dual-channel system, to the top-of-the-line ABS 9 enhanced system, which features an electronic combined brake system function that automatically optimizes brake performance on both wheels, regardless of which brake the rider applies.

Source: Robert Bosch LLC

Published October 2014

Verrry interestink...

colonel-klink-ponders.jpg

How can it possibly prevent the motorcycle's tendency to "right itself" while braking hard in a curve? (1:25)

I nominate this for Best Thread Title of the year. :thumb:

How can it possibly prevent the motorcycle's tendency to "right itself" while braking hard in a curve? (1:25)

From what I have seen braking hard can do one of two things, low side or straightens the bike and into oncoming traffic or onto the shoulder. Physics states an object trajectory well remain straight unless acted upon. Itis difficult to break hard when your leaned over, the line is fine and the MOTO GP guys show us every few weeks that it is easy to cross the line.

From what I have seen braking hard can do one of two things, low side or straightens the bike and into oncoming traffic or onto the shoulder. Physics states an object trajectory well remain straight unless acted upon. Itis difficult to break hard when your leaned over, the line is fine and the MOTO GP guys show us every few weeks that it is easy to cross the line.
Low side if you lose traction in front. Yes, but the video sure seems to show the bike under hard braking, defying the laws of physics by remaining leaned over following the curve.

It must limit the amount of braking force that can be applied with the lean angle sensor, which must also increase your stopping distance.

What if you need to stop sooner and using the oncoming lane is an option you'd like to have?

If they have a working formula for calculating the recipe for Traction Pie it could allow the two forces sharing available traction to avoid exceeding it. (braking/turning)

There are a lot of variables to account for, especially if the road surface tosses in a surprise bump, gravel, sand, etc.

Still, for the majority of riding conditions and considering the variances of capabilities across the riding community, MSC will likely provide a significant margin of safety over standard ABS for most riders. Especially for those who care not for making a conscious effort to improve/practice their emergency braking, swerving, and cornering skills often.

Low side if you lose traction in front. Yes, but the video sure seems to show the bike under hard braking, defying the laws of physics by remaining leaned over following the curve.

It must limit the amount of braking force that can be applied with the lean angle sensor, which must also increase your stopping distance.

What if you need to stop sooner and using the oncoming lane is an option you'd like to have?

This system is already on the new KTM Adventure 1190. It is fully switchable to OFF if that is the option you want.

Took delivery of a KTM Super Duke 1290 in July. Normally,
I would be opposed to all electronic aids. The system on
this bike is beyond belief. On a recent ride near the
Harvest Classic in Lukenbach, I found myself on N. Grape
town Rd (knarly secrion of asphalt near the willow loop).
Going way to fast I came up on a blind corner (actually
an L turn). I slammed on my front and rear brake
expecting to skid off the road and into a barbed wire fence.
The SDR just set down on its suspension, no skidding, no
jerking, no clicking in the controls, no drama. Not only did
it stop in time, the ABS system allowed me to turn (almost
90 degrees) while braking! My buddy behind my on his
Versys could not believe how the bike saved me. I am a
believer in this technology now. After 40 years of riding
more than 90 different bikes on and off road, I learned
something new. I could never have made that turn with
out that new ABS system. KTM saved me from myself...

Pretty strong endorsement. My thinking has been if you enter a turn too fast, you are in trouble regardless of traction control. The physics of turning the weight combined with a small tire patch make it a sometime proposition. Panic reaction only complicates the solution. But it's hard to argue with results.

Very good endorsement indeed. Heck, the systems on my Tenere are far more basic than that on your KTM, and already they have proven how valuable they really are. I am looking forward to when this particular system starts to grace other motorcycles as well.

I love my SDR 1290. First KTM, 3rd bike with ABS.
I am not endorsing or implying anything about
this technology other than the experience I had
that day. My first ABS bike was a BMW K-bike in
the 80's and that system left a lot to be desired.
My second ABS bike was a Suzuki GSX1250FA.
It worked Ok but I never noticed anything either
way. The KTM system is exceptional in my
opinion because it can brake "for me" better
than all my 45 years of dirt biking, road racing
and street riding experience has taught me (not
counting numerous rider training courses).

Back