• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Swapped tire for practice. Bead break pains.

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Tried to renew my registration yesterday, but the bike failed inspection due to the back tire wear. I got a new tire for Christmas and planned to install it after squeezing all the life out of my stock trailwing. When I got home I attempted to change the tire myself mostly to prepare for an upcoming dual sport ride. I got it done. It wasn't too difficult, but I have no idea how I will break the bead on the trail.

picture.php

picture.php

Now my front tire looks bald in comparison.

On the trail, your tire will be very warm and flexible, you should be able to break the bead using the heels of your boots.

Even stiff sidewall tires like the Dunlop 606 are usually easily popped on the trail.

You're way ahead of the game thinking of this in advance. There might be a few more tips and tricks for you here

On the trail, your tire will be very warm and flexible, you should be able to break the bead using the heels of your boots.

Even stiff sidewall tires like the Dunlop 606 are usually easily popped on the trail.

You're way ahead of the game thinking of this in advance. There might be a few more tips and tricks for you here

Not tubeless tires and especially not Mitas or Heidenau tires. Of course most tubeless flats you can plug without removing the tire. But in case of a valve stem failure or serious tire cut you'll need to remove the tire. I always carry a tube and heavy zip ties as backup for this emergency. Hope I never have to use either though.

_

Correct

The subject of the MSTA is tubed tires

For tubeless, we're onto a separate but equally important subject area, patches and plugs.

The OP has a tubed tire he's concerned about breaking the bead of on the trail

He'll be able to do it with his boots if he flats while its warm

When I got home I attempted to change the tire myself mostly to prepare for an upcoming dual sport ride. I got it done. It wasn't too difficult, but I have no idea how I will break the bead on the trail.

It's important to only use what you'll have with you on the trail when you change tires and/or tubes in the garage. Make and use your "trail kit" only.

In this manner, you'll maintain your muscle memory and be ready and confident on your epic rides.

The subject of the MSTA is tubed tires

? MSTA ?

The OP has a tubed tire he's concerned about breaking the bead of on the trail. He'll be able to do it with his boots if he flats while its warm

Well if he had a bugger of a time at home then on the trail he better be prepared. I've seen many flats not discovered until ready to mount up the bike again after a stop or lunch. Tire is not warm in that instance. Kickstand works fine but easier to pinch a tube and you need another bike unless you have mad skillz and a BMW.

The Motion Pro bead breaker is expensive but very lightweight and they double as tire spoons. I was successful using that exact tool to break the bead on my tubeless Mitas Dakar tire on a trip. Tire was very warm from sitting in the hot Mexican sun though.

Another tip for bead breaking, do not use any lube, dry is best. I used it for years thinking it helped but it actually does the opposite and makes it harder to break the bead.

Onboard bead breaker at 1:23

https://youtu.be/wsmGAWuLVzI?t=1m23s

_

I find it helpful to ride with fat guys... :-P

Their heels will usually pop most any tire off the bead ;-)

I find it helpful to ride with fat guys... :-P

Their heels will usually pop most any tire off the bead ;-)
[emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15]

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Lol, Tourmaster!

The tires were cold by the time I started the swap. What baffles me is how do y'all use the kick stand to break the bead when the swing arm is precariously propped up with the kickstand and a piece of wood?! For safety reasons I tethered the rear to a overhanging tree limb(I know a tree may not be available in the field) so I was able to use the kickstand without dropping the bike, but it had no effect. I completely failed at using my trail kit. I ended up sandwiching the tire between my trucks hitch and a 2x4 on a jack. Even then it was a pain. Could I use a c-clamp as a frugal alternative to the pricey bead breaker?

I carried 3 short tire irons.

Place them side by side in the bead. The outside irons go up, the inside iron goes down.

The bead on the 150/70 17(tube type) on the rear of my f800 can't easily be broken-used a large c-clamp before purchasing motion pro bead pro. Rode probably 1/2 mile with flat, still took bead pro to break bead. They are pricey, ride with someone who has them.

Back