Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #61
Manfred

Re: losing motivation to ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes old virago View Post
I rode Austin to N. Dakota to Seattle to SF/LV/Phoenix/Austin alone. Never had to shout over wind noise. Never heard any moaning or complaints. Met up with a friend in SF for a day of short town riding, and that was that.
When I got home, my worn out heart muscle was strong, my doctor was happy, my wife was just as purdy as ever. And my butt was rested.
About 12 years ago I flew to DC, picked up an old Yamaha triple 850 and rode it home to Houston in 4 days. My wife thought I was crazy at the time.

One day at 640 miles in the Aug heat had me wondering if she was right!

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)
Manfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #62
BigKev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
It's not looking good. We are all ready short handed and one of my coworkers already scheduled time off that week.
That was for the OP, but dont start coming up with excuses now haha!!
BigKev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #63
my6

l
Old 02-20-2018, 01:11 AM   #64
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I have to say, in my daily life, I really get very little time to just sit with other guys and visit. Even my weekends don't see much of that. I've never really had a friend close by that I see on a fairly regular basis where we just kind of keep tabs on each other and keep each other grounded. As much as I enjoy my solo rides, or even the occasional group rides for a day, what really draws me is those times where I will be able to sit and really get to know someone. Pie runs are fun, but people come and go so fast that I am lucky to get to speak with them for a few minutes at most. I really enjoy the trips I sometimes get to do, typically being 6-7 days of riding with maybe 2-3 other guys. Camping is fine. Hotels are fine. But, either way, I enjoy the conversations around camp after the ride, in the morning when breaking camp, during lunches/dinners, etc,... Even the long drives in the truck to get to the area where we will be riding for the week are fun. You can really get to know someone when you have 18 hours each way to kill... I have been fortunate to have done some really great trips over the years, each with a great group of riders. That I get to share something like riding motorcycles in incredible places is just icing on the cake!

Guys like these

In places like this!

Or these guys,

In places like these, all on the same trip!

And also with my kids in places like these,

Sarah in Utah and Colorado at age 11

Daniel in Arkansas at age 10

Sarah in Arkansas at age 12

Daniel in Arkansas at age 10

Rachel in Arkansas at age 8, first time for her without training wheels

The grass was deep but she kept at it, determined to ride with the older two later in the day

Daniel happy to be riding with the "big boys"

Rachel, Daniel and Sarah, about to head out with me

Sarah worked at challenging herself and stretching her comfort zone on this trip

But this was a little more than she wanted to attempt...

Daniel proud of the dirt on his new ride but totally bummed that it is about time to head home

I have so many more thousands of pictures like these with so many other great folks in them. You might think that after a while it would get old taking these kinds of pictures and making these kinds of friendships and memories, but it never does. I'd do it all the time if I could get the time off and could afford to do it. I totally love it. I especially like the challenging dual sport and dirt rides because they so often involve everyone working together to get everyone through the adventure in one piece. That shared adventure creates a bond.

If you find your interest in riding waning, I highly recommend sharing some of the riding with other riders. I love solo rides, but I love sharing rides as much or more.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #65
my6

Riding with Donny at His Wilderness Ranch. Excellent! I am so very jealous...
Old 02-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #66
TxTiger

I wonder for the older guys if the waning has anything to do with prescription drugs. If one takes blood pressure meds, statins and whatever, they definitely have an effect on how you feel, your motivation. Many individuals in their 60's take such meds. I know some of my meds make me dizzy sometimes, which makes me less motivated at times.

2009 Suzuki DRZ 400 sm, BB kit, FCR 39 mm carb, stage 2 cams, MRD/SSW pipe. Transformed by E. Marquez into a very capable dual sport adventure bike.
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
1971 Triumph Tiger
1965 Honda CL160
1968 Honda CL77, (305cc)
1973 Honda CB350 Four
1974 Honda CB550K
1975 Honda CB400F
1984 Honda CT110
1990 Honda GB500
1974 Yamaha RD350
1985 Yamaha RZ350
1985 Yamaha XS500, built with 217 cc stroker Blaster engine, XT250 wheels, suspension.
2015 Harley Freewheeler
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:34 PM   #67
MidlifeCrisis

Having the right bike can make a huge difference. Houston is typically either too hot or too cold. Your Streetie and V7R are just not the ideal year-round bikes. At first, I thought a naked bike would be great for Summer riding, but I have since come to realize that at ambient temp above 92F (typical skin temp), too much wind exposure actually makes it worse. You'd be better off being fully geared on a bike that you can control the wind exposure to JUST ENOUGH AIR FLOW for sweat evaporation cooling. My Trophy SE let's me do exactly that.

Then in the colder months, I can just about shut out the cold wind entirely and ride comfortably in the lowest temps Houston can serve up.

Sometimes I do miss my Speed Triple R, but I just cannot justify road bikes that I would only ride in perfect weather.
'15 Beta 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200F, '05 GSXR600 (track) (Sold: '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200, '11 Sprint GT, '14 ZX14R ABS, '13 S3R, '07 SV1000S, '09 C14 ABS, '08 RSV1000R Factory, '07 FZ1, '09 Sprint ST, '08 ZX10R, '08 S83)
MidlifeCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #68
MidlifeCrisis

As for Houston traffic... I live in Missouri City and commute to NW Houston, so I ride the very same streets you do. I personally find the act of riding with 100% attention devoted to defensive riding and hazard avoidance very refreshing. This may sound counter-intuitive, but it forces me to clear my mind of all extraneous thoughts and concentrate on the very task of surviving through traffic.

That said, the antics some Houston drivers display can be really discouraging. If you dwell on the vulnerability part of riding a motorcycle, you'll scare yourself back to safety of the cage. Instead, focus on capitalizing on the unique advantages of being on a nimble, fast machine that can get out of trouble spots and get to safer zones quicker than most other vehicles on the road. As soon as you get away from one hazard/bonehead/dickhead/texter/maniac/etc., forget about it, and start scanning for the next one.

Do your best to be as conspicuous as you possibly can. Ride a slender roadster wearing black leather, and you'll practically disappear from most drivers' field of view. Instead, wear Hi-Viz, ride a bigger bike, and move around.
'15 Beta 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200F, '05 GSXR600 (track) (Sold: '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200, '11 Sprint GT, '14 ZX14R ABS, '13 S3R, '07 SV1000S, '09 C14 ABS, '08 RSV1000R Factory, '07 FZ1, '09 Sprint ST, '08 ZX10R, '08 S83)
MidlifeCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:04 AM   #69
ffejtable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucydad View Post
All,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but anyway. I am wondering if I am losing the motivation to ride. Seems I find excuses more than reasons: too cold, too windy, too wet, Friday afternoon traffic. Maybe its watching three cars blow through a red light last week and wondering if I would have survived if on a bike.
Maybe its winter blues. Maybe its the same old Gulf Coast/Houston roads. Wow do I wish for a cruise on my home turf of SW Colorado. Tried to get myself on my Triumph today, and it was a decent day: opted for a nap, then bicycle ride instead. Oh well....carry on.
Funny you mention this, as I have noticed this lately as well..

My schedule is full all sorts of conflicts that makes riding difficult late.

The weather this winter has not been very cooperative when I can ride. I'll ride down to freezing temps, but its been very wet this year.

I haven't been on TWTEX in weeks (if not months) to even check on rides.. I finally got on tonight to see what's been going on and check on some possible upcoming Pie/RTE runs..

Do you have friends that ride? Since moving to Texas I haven't really made any friends that ride. That is a big part of why I don't ride as much.

Come to think of it, one of the guys I have been playing hockey with does ride, and we only made it to hidden falls once... I think I know who I will be reaching out to this week.

As Scott mentioned, hobbies often come and go.. Some stay with you, other's don't... And sometimes they just evolve... My days of sportbikes and track days are over, but that just made room for more dual-sport riding.

Maybe a nice inspirational video <insert preferred video here> will help?
2013 VStrom 650
ffejtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #70
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
I wonder for the older guys if the waning has anything to do with prescription drugs. If one takes blood pressure meds, statins and whatever, they definitely have an effect on how you feel, your motivation. Many individuals in their 60's take such meds. I know some of my meds make me dizzy sometimes, which makes me less motivated at times.
Possibly!
TORCS #70
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
2016 Husqvarna TC250
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 AM   #71
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

At 66, you guys are depressing me! lol, get out and ride while you can. I still can't get enough, started at 15. I think it helps I do 3 different disciplines. One gets a little stale do the other. But I always come back to single track.

Of course buddies to ride with help! PKiser, Jfink, and Rsquared
Attached Thumbnails
27459411_10211583085477655_1527934791652871764_n.jpg   26814965_10215829516150301_5361776447093174798_n.jpg   16819460_10212619281256435_3466239342984362160_o.jpg  

TORCS #70
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
2016 Husqvarna TC250
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #72
skiphunt

losing motivation to ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I go through waves. It's the same with many things in which I have an interest. Motorcycles and photography are the ones I keep coming back to though. I can tell you that when I first started riding and making trips to places like Colorado, Arkansas, and North Carolina, it was hard to get excited about riding once I got back home to East Texas...

I have also found that the longer I go without riding or taking pics, the more I tend to lose interest. However, the more I do them, the more I get into them. It's kind of strange, but I think it boils down to us being creatures of habit. If you have a habit of riding, you will tend to want to ride more often because it is just part of your routine. If you get out of the habit of riding, it becomes more work to go riding because it disrupts your current routine. Disrupting your routine usually generates negative feelings unless you are disrupting it for something much better, like say a trip to Colorado

I bet if you made a point of getting out and riding, you'd start getting more into it and enjoying it. Being in Sugar Land makes it tough though...

@Tourmeister I think you have something here with the “routine” angle. The more you settle into a habitual routine, the more you get comfortable in that... and, the more you don’t want to disrupt it.

That’s why I force myself at some point, when I feel like I’ve settled too deeply into a comfortable routine, to take a trip or go shoot something all day.

I’ve traveled a lot. Both on the bike (still riding the Honda nc700x), back country hiking, backpacking in other countries, etc. And honestly, I always have to drag myself out kicking and screaming internally. I’m never exited to be heading off and away from a comfy routine. But, once you break free and are “en route”, something inside wakes up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by skiphunt; 02-25-2018 at 09:17 AM.
skiphunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:44 PM   #73
Lucydad
Forum Supporter

Wow, this thread hit buttons for many.

Yep, I take both statins and BP meds. I wonder if there is a correlation? I also exercise a lot and I am very healthy.

I am motivated right now....but endless rain here in Sugar Land. Yesterday I ventured out on the Guzzi: winds blew me around.

Naw, I have two fantastic motorcycles: one fast and nimble, one pretty and Italian. And I can handle the weight of both and they fit my short frame. I handle summer heat by riding very early in the day.

Road construction...everywhere....really is an issue right now: increases overall risk.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #74
ffejtable

Quote:
I have to say, in my daily life, I really get very little time to just sit with other guys and visit. Even my weekends don't see much of that. I've never really had a friend close by that I see on a fairly regular basis where we just kind of keep tabs on each other and keep each other grounded. As much as I enjoy my solo rides, or even the occasional group rides for a day, what really draws me is those times where I will be able to sit and really get to know someone. Pie runs are fun, but people come and go so fast that I am lucky to get to speak with them for a few minutes at most. I really enjoy the trips I sometimes get to do, typically being 6-7 days of riding with maybe 2-3 other guys. Camping is fine. Hotels are fine. But, either way, I enjoy the conversations around camp after the ride, in the morning when breaking camp, during lunches/dinners, etc,... Even the long drives in the truck to get to the area where we will be riding for the week are fun. You can really get to know someone when you have 18 hours each way to kill... I have been fortunate to have done some really great trips over the years, each with a great group of riders. That I get to share something like riding motorcycles in incredible places is just icing on the cake!

I have so many more thousands of pictures like these with so many other great folks in them. You might think that after a while it would get old taking these kinds of pictures and making these kinds of friendships and memories, but it never does. I'd do it all the time if I could get the time off and could afford to do it. I totally love it. I especially like the challenging dual sport and dirt rides because they so often involve everyone working together to get everyone through the adventure in one piece. That shared adventure creates a bond.

If you find your interest in riding waning, I highly recommend sharing some of the riding with other riders. I love solo rides, but I love sharing rides as much or more.
Well said, and I agree completely, in particular the DS comment of working together in challenging terrain.

And if pictures like that don't make a person want to ride, then maybe it is time to look for another hobby!
2013 VStrom 650
ffejtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #75
sharky nrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejtable View Post

Do you have friends that ride? Since moving to Texas I haven't really made any friends that ride. That is a big part of why I don't ride as much.
This is for sure true for me. My schedule makes it really hard to find times that match up with local people for me to ride with. It definitely makes a difference to me. When I have people to share activities with (running, cycling, motorcycling, etc) I am much more motivated to do it.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:30 AM   #76
Skip Honeycutt

Location: Overton, TX "The Arlington of East Texas between the Tyler/Longview Metroplex"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRyder View Post
Better to have a bike in the garage for occasional rides then no bike for when a ride is needed. I've done the latter, prefer the former.

Trying to gauge interest in a meet and eat tonight for us East Texas riders, it'd be about a 100 mile round-trip for me. The weather's suitable, I'm on my own for dinner, a ride and a meal sounds like good therapy
I personally haven't lost any interest in riding but several of my local riding buds have. A few years ago we would have at least a dozen show up for our monthly dinner rides (some had over 40). Lately, there's been NO interest. I've had something with a motor and two wheels since I was 10 - I'm closing in on 60. Guess I'm one of those that as long as I'm not a danger to myself and others, I'll ride. And yes, Arkansas roads, Texas hill country, and many others are really great but after a weekend visit to daughter in the metroplex, I'm thrilled to have the backroad riding in East Texas at my front and back door. Ride Safe.

Garage Pride:
2010 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS SE
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 - Wife's ride
1974 Kawasaki 500 Mach III - a blast from the past (and yes, I'm the original owner)
Skip Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #77
jfink
Forum Supporter

Here's another slant on this question, most the people I know who have lost interest in riding have gotten 'old'. All the friends I have that still ride, still seem 'young'. Think of riding as an exercise program that will keep you young; then get out there and do it. It has got to be better than going to the gym!

'04 Goldwing (ich bin eine Deutschlander) (US States and Canadian Provinces)
'11 KTM 990 Dakar (all 23 countries in South, Central and North America)
'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #78
Meriden

Had along talk about it with the wife over the last week. I'll be selling a couple of bikes and getting rid of the RV this spring. I'm not losing interest in riding, but I'm not as interested in crashing on a dirt bike as I once was. Been there, done that, using the tee shirt as a shop rag. The only age related issue for me is recovery time. As it is, too many projects and not enough time.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #79
mlinkibikr

I ride less than I used to. Sunday morning rides are no longer a weekly deal. I travel overseas for work so no more need to commute on my bike. I haven't taken a multi day trip in over a year.

My Sunday morning riding group fell apart and eating breakfast at Orsaks alone isn't something to seek out.

BUT I have high hopes. New neighborhood and there's some guys here that ride. And I'm buying my sons Duc 695 as an addition to the fleet just to get back on a small bike and rail it. Now all I need is a big trip and I'll be back.

Sometimes you just need to take a pause. It will either call you back or it won't. And nothing beats that feeling when you are hitting the road after the first night at the hotel / camp now does it?

Dave.
mlinkibikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #80
camper

Quote:
I go through waves. It's the same with many things in which I have an interest. Motorcycles and photography are the ones I keep coming back to though. I can tell you that when I first started riding and making trips to places like Colorado, Arkansas, and North Carolina, it was hard to get excited about riding once I got back home to East Texas...

I have also found that the longer I go without riding or taking pics, the more I tend to lose interest. However, the more I do them, the more I get into them. It's kind of strange, but I think it boils down to us being creatures of habit. If you have a habit of riding, you will tend to want to ride more often because it is just part of your routine. If you get out of the habit of riding, it becomes more work to go riding because it disrupts your current routine. Disrupting your routine usually generates negative feelings unless you are disrupting it for something much better, like say a trip to Colorado

I bet if you made a point of getting out and riding, you'd start getting more into it and enjoying it. Being in Sugar Land makes it tough though...
I'm also an amateur photographer a d I also go through waves with both riding and photography.

However, I find that I have to take breaks sometimes in order not to burn out in either hobby. To me, taking breaks rejuvenates my interest rather than dulls it. In photography specifically I can take a step back and focus on the bigger picture (sorry for the obvious pun) in order to not get stuck in a rut. If I push myself to shoot all the time I end up doing the same thing, shooting the same thing and looking at the scene the same way, which is not progressive for me.

With riding, I was commuting to work on the bike and that burned me out. For me, riding is best left as recreation. That said, I still ride 10k+ miles a year. Just not in traffic.

When I lose motivation to ride. I step back and do something else. Nothing wrong with that. Once after a break like this I thought about selling the bike, but then I started it up and rode it, and my passion was back in full swing.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Last edited by camper; 02-26-2018 at 11:22 AM.
camper is offline   Reply With Quote