• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 East TX 500

Livingston will likely preclude many DFW riders from attending. Rusk sits 2+ hours from East Dallas, and Livingston tacks on another 90 miles. However, Rusk is nearly 3 hours from downtown Houston, so the idea of a North/South ride has tremendous merit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I'm throwing the gauntlet down, sort-of.

I lead the north group the last two years. Unless someone else steps up.... I'll do it again.
So... I'll be pulling out of Rusk KOA @ 8 AM 10-10-14 heading too Beans. If anyone would like to ride with me I would REALLY like it. I also would really like for someone to step up with a support vehicle and trailer, just let me know.
I would like to make the suggestion that Rusk be the starting point for all....BUT I completely understand if some Houston rides don't want to make the trek. We'll see you at Beans Friday night.
Also I will call KOA and Beans if you will please let me know the #'s that will be staying there.

Here's another crazy idea. Why not both groups ride in same clockwise direction, but one group start 1 day later.

Southerners start on Fri for Rusk. Northerners start on Sat. On Saturday, both yankees and rebels ride together to Beans. On Sunday, both blue and grey ride together to Livingston. On Monday, northerners ride to Rusk.

Ok I'm throwing the gauntlet down, sort-of.

I lead the north group the last two years. Unless someone else steps up.... I'll do it again.
So... I'll be pulling out of Rusk KOA @ 8 AM 10-10-14 heading too Beans. If anyone would like to ride with me I would REALLY like it. I also would really like for someone to step up with a support vehicle and trailer, just let me know.
I would like to make the suggestion that Rusk be the starting point for all....BUT I completely understand if some Houston rides don't want to make the trek. We'll see you at Beans Friday night.
Also I will call KOA and Beans if you will please let me know the #'s that will be staying there.

:thumb:Now we have something to work with. I will have to wait untill closer to know if the dates work.

Here's another crazy idea. Why not both groups ride in same clockwise direction, but one group start 1 day later.

Southerners start on Fri for Rusk. Northerners start on Sat. On Saturday, both yankees and rebels ride together to Beans. On Sunday, both blue and grey ride together to Livingston. On Monday, northerners ride to Rusk.

That is actually an excellent idea, and it will work with either group starting out first. It also allows both groups to share one support vehicle, at least for mechanicals (one of the groups would have to be able to carry their own camp supplies for one day).

Counterclockwise = Fri-Sun for North, Sat-Mon for South
Clockwise = Fri-Sun for South, Sat-Mon for North.

That is not a bad idea. But the ONLY way I would be able to do it is
Counterclockwise = Fri-Sun for North, Sat-Mon for South
I have already taken Fri off.

Way to step up BadTex! :clap: Now it seems that we have a solid ride developing out of Rusk. I still like the idea of having us all together as a big group at the overnight stops. It also provides for more rider pods along the route to stumble into for those who discover they have strayed from theirs somewhere along the way. :trust:
I will plan to be at Rusk KOA for a Friday morning start. :rider:

Aanarchy, Good to see you posting! Tell the Guy on Orange howdy.

It's still doubtful that I'll make it, but I suggest that someone give Beans camp a call. As I recall, last year he had made so preparations for the group only to be met with an empty camp ground. Hopefully he is understanding about the unique situation, but it's worth finding out.

And don't pay the "Road Closed" sign on 2565 any mind. It's the most fun part of the ride now.

m

Unless something unforeseen arises, I be riding with north group led by BADTEX.

Just wait for me to catch up at the turns! :mrgreen:

I'll also chip if someone steps up with a support rig as this makes the ride much
easier if I don't have to haul camping gear.

I am also planning on riding with the northern group. 3rd time's the charm to make the ride.

Still a little too far out for me to say one way or the other at this time so I'm......
Onthefence_zpseb14e2e6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm probably in. If there ends up being a South group, I'll be with them (90 miles). If not, I'll start in Rusk (180 miles). We should probably start another thread and clearly list in the first post who is in/out, and if WalMart and Bean's VIP campground have been notified. If nobody else starts a new thread, I'll probably do it tonight.

Looks like the Rusk start is confirmed for Friday 10/10/14. Do any of the southern riders have a thought about starting Saturday instead of Friday? We would still only have one shared campsite, but both groups would be riding the same roads in the same directions on Saturday and Sunday, so there would be some opportunity to ride with some of them thar yankees.

We need to get that out of the way fairly quickly, because Bean's campground needs to be Saturday night if we stagger the starts, but Friday night if we both start on Friday.

Northern group for me as well. Really looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I got confirmation that both my brother and dad will try to make this one (since we got rained out last year). That means I am going for a southern start, since it will already be a 3 hour drive for my brother the night before, and a 6 hour drive for dad.

Since the North group has already stated a direction and I don't know if some people have already asked off work or not, I am not going to try the staggered start this year (although I think it would work well if the planning started out that way). We will just go the other direction and meet up at Bean's on Friday night.

Started a thread here, will update the first post: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1284637#post1284637

Edit: I misread things.

You're proposing 2 groups, CW for North and CCW for South, everyone starts Friday?

BadTex, you want to start a northern thread since you've agreed to lead that side of things?

If BadTex starts a northern E TX 500 thread, then I proposed the mods lock this one once that one starts.

Edit: I misread things.

You're proposing 2 groups, CW for North and CCW for South, everyone starts Friday?

Yes. While I understand Donny's point about getting everybody in the big tent, the three hour drive to the start point is killer for those of us who can't take the day off before (and in my case, I will also have somebody arriving at midnight Thursday, then we would still have to get up at 4:00 at the latest to get loaded and on to Rusk for a 8AM start). Besides that, my group isn't as social as others - I enjoy hanging out around the campfire, but with a group bigger than 10 or so, I've had my fill after an hour.

So we are taking the easy way out and starting the Livingston group. I cross-referenced this thread in my thread so that people can find both easily. I recommend BadTEX make a new thread for the Northern group just to get a clean start so that there is less confusion, but that's his call.

I do like the idea of staggering starts so the groups ride together Saturday and Sunday, but I'm afraid some people have already booked time off, so I kept the dates as Fri/Sat/Sun.

No problem Justin, I certainly understand if Livingston is as far as some of you are able to travel. Maybe next year we will get out in front of this a little better. The staggered days start does sound like a good idea. Offers everyone the least possible transit time making it to/from the event start / finish, and still keeps us mostly on the same ride. With less sag vehicle needs than 2 separate groups would require. I vote next year let's spec it that way from the get-go so everyone can take the right days off. This year I am riding with the North group so I can see folks I normally don't get to ride with.

Wow - this ride went from 2 separate rides to 1 group then debate over start locations, to now maybe 2 groups 2 starts CW vs CCW, camp locations, staggered logistics.

My head is swimming! :giveup:

I'm not sure we could make this any more complicated!
Unless we get some government intervention - that would clear it up.:mrgreen:

So I guess Im a maybe, as in maybe I'll make it to South start or maybe North start, or maybe I'll show up at Friday's camp and just ride Sat/Sun. or ah, ah, ah, (how's it going down again?)

Is sombody going to put together a gpx route? oh crap I think that may push this over the top! Just let me know which direction we are going once I get there :rofl:

It is the same as last year. Two different rides sharing the same roads and one campsite. North group starts in Rusk and goes clockwise. South group starts in Livingston and goes counterclockwise.

GPS file is in the South group ride planning thread. I will be reviewing it before we actually leave, and compare against some recent rides to try and make sure we don't have any closed roads. It will be finalized by October 1.

South group ride planning: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97356

North group ride planning: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97360

As of right now, there is more interest in the North group.

Back