• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 MexTrek, Oct 15 - 18th, Galeana, Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a stock tank on your 250?

I have a stock tank and carry up two extra gallons as needed, which gives me up 180 miles between gas stations. I did the White Rim Trail a couple of weeks ago with only the stock tank and one extra gallon in a rotopax.

In. Might go for a week and add a couple of other towns to my visit list.

popcorn.gif

RB

Real De Catorce has been on my radar for a long time.

Watch "The Mexican" with Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt before you go there

A ton of it was filmed there. The owner of Hotel El Real was an extra in the movie. Brad Pitt smoked a doobie on the roof of his hotel - said the hotel owners wife. Check out the link.

Full movie here:

LINK

Watch "The Mexican" with Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt before you go there

A ton of it was filmed there. The owner of Hotel El Real was an extra in the movie. Brad Pitt smoked a doobie on the roof of his hotel - said the hotel owners wife. Check out the link.

Full movie here:

LINK

My younger brother studied in Guanajuato for a couple of years. He just happened to visit Real de Catorce just after filming of the Mexican, while the crew was in GTO. He is a good looking blond kid, maybe 24 yrs old at the time. Both in GTA and RdC he was mistaken for a movie star again and again.

I picked him up when he returned to the states in Real. We stayed at the same hotel in the movie (which was originally a bank), not in the upstairs, but in the basement that used to be one of the bank vaults. Best food in 100 mile radius.

Just singed up. Looking like a lot of fun
Would like to ride share on the way down.
Now just need to get ME and the bike ready

Without having to worry about camping gear this trip
is looking doable on the DRZ without too much extra setup.

A few tools and parts, a couple changes of clothes.

I can do 120 miles on the DRZ pretty easy with the stock tank.

Cutting it too close?

Are the elevations high enough to result in jetting issues?

Cutting it too close?

doesn't hurt to carry a extra gallon of fuel if you can but 120 miles is good, jet issues shouldn't be a factor especially you have it stock, if don't have it stock maybe if you climb up cerro potosi 3800+ meters maybe...

Cutting it too close?

I ran stock tank on my DRZ-SM with huge 130 front kobby. Only hit reserve once when I wasn't in sight of gas. A couple extra gallons shared across a small group of riders is a good idea. If you are range limited, don't pass up gas.

My DRZ ran fine on stock jetting. I didn't see anyone messing with jetting, but I wasn't looking for it.

Bolted a $6.00 plastic gun case from Academy thru my rear fender and subframe. Filled it with tools, patch kit, money, passport. then strapped a 1 gallon can with a ratchet strap onto that. That handled all my needs until I punctured a radiator on an uphill lowside. 3 in 1 putty carried by a friend solved that issue.

Other than flats, the #1 issue on previous MexTreks has been battery issues

A Battery Tender may show an older battery taking a complete charge - until a load is put on it. Don't trust older batteries. A new battery is cheap insurance.

Also most people don't read their Mexico specific insurance policy. The Platinum Plus rider on most of these policies almost always include a host of "get home" benefits many overlook. Check it out for yourself.

Mostly battery issues like TP said, don't ask me how I know! [emoji15]

Sent from my handheld, please ignore the typos!

Good to see you posting and looking forward to riding..Some of the postings here had me thinking you needed some mojo your way. Suerte!

Got the hall pass! I'm in amigos! Echemos a andar la fiesta!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back