• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT 2018 Fall Rally - Eureka Springs - NOW WITH DIRT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacman

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's not even summer yet, but if your life is anything like mine, you have to plans things like this months in advance. Let's get it started!

Who: Once again, I'll take point on this rally. If you have any questions or comments post up in this thread or send me a PM if you'd like. If you have complaints, PM Tourmeister. ;)

What: This is basically some riding enthusiasts getting together to ride some beautiful roads for a few days. What it ISN'T is timed stages, organized competitive events, or any of the organized activities you might normally associate with a motorcycle rally. The only organized activities will be the accommodations, the actual routes we ride each day, and one group meal together (assuming I can get a space large enough at the restaurant). This "rally" is all about the riding!

When: In past years we've done 4 day rallies, but this year I want to do 5 days. 3 days of riding, with a day for travel on either end. Of course, you can arrive or leave whenever you'd like. Here's the plan so far:

October 10-14, 2018
Oct 10: Arrival/Check in
Oct 11: Ride!
Oct 12: Ride more!
Oct 13: Are you tired yet?
Oct 14: Go home :-(

Where: Eureka Springs, Arkansas will be our base again.

Lodging: See post #3 for lodging details.

Travel/Transport: Assuming I can secure a trailer again, I will be trailering from the DFW area and can fit 2 bikes on my trailer, including mine. Throw in a few bucks for gas and the spot is yours. (edit: trailer is now full) I will most likely unload in eastern OK and ride the rest of the way to Eureka Springs. If you have a trailer with extra spots, post up here. It's always nice to split fuel costs.

Also feel free to use this thread to connect with other riders who are riding up.

Camping: For those interested in camping, there are several campgrounds available in the ES area. I won't be making reservations for camping spots so you'll be on your own for those. Make your reservation early to ensure you find a space.

Routes: TBA. Daily routes will be similar to last year, with a few changes to improve navigation, and to fix a few of the less desirable sections we ran into. It's a learning process. :deal:

The rides will consist of roughly 300 miles a day through beautiful country on some great back roads in Arkansas and Missouri. If enough riders show up, we’ll split into smaller groups, no more than 10 per group. We'll split up by pace, from stop-and-smell-the-roses to spirited, and then a dirt/off-pavement group if we can pull one together. There is NO REASON for anybody to feel intimidated or worry about either falling behind or holding anybody up. As with any TWT ride, ride your own ride, at your own pace. Ride leaders will wait at intersections or change of plans to make sure the group stays together. ALL are welcome, regardless of desired pace or type of bike.

I also really hope to find someone who would be willing to take on planning some dirt routes and leading our knobby-tired members. We came close last year, but it just wasn't to be. Who among our kings and queens of dirt will step forward accept the challenge??

UPDATE: Dirt routes and a ride leader has been confirmed. FJRMike has stepped up and offered to plan and lead the dirty bunch each day. I rode with Mike a few years ago in NW Ark when he was on an FJR. These days he's a full time resident of AR and riding some of the finest dirt in the country in his own back yard. From the discussion I've seen so far it sounds like the routes he's planning will be appropriate for big ADV bikes and smaller DS machines.

Rules: This is a TWT sponsored event. This means that we will conduct ourselves, and wear gear in accordance with The TWT Rules of the Road. If you have questions about the interpretation or implementation of the rules, ask before rather than after.

So there you have it, we're doing this thing again! Post up here if you're in, and I'll keep a roster going. There will be lots more details coming soon....

Last edited:
Re: TWT 2018 Fall Rally - Eureka Springs

Roll Call

In:
pacman
Valker
texxter
Devientartist
El_Chamiso
A_perdue
Mr2mch
MacDaddy
Grimsweeper
Sidewinder
Ruff Rider +2
Kilgore74
Rsquared
Jarrett
Tourmeister+1
Multisurface_Rider
DLDR
Zephyr

Maybe:
Yeehaw!_Stephen
Texas_T
budzrex
ekms377
Liteitup
FCBH
duchess
DaveG99
alwayswizard
Ralph
Rick M

Last edited:

All of our group rate rooms are now reserved.
BUT IT MIGHT NOT BE TOO LATE TO GET A ROOM!
If you would like to make a last minute reservation,
call Larry at the number below to see what he has left.
There will probably still be rooms available,
but no guarantee on getting the group rate.

Lodging: Swiss Village Inn
183 E Van Buren, Eureka Springs, AR 72632
http://www.swissvillageinn.com/
(479) 253-9541 -direct line. Talk to Larry or Devin if available.

A block of 10 rooms (all double queen, non smoking) is held under Two Wheeled Texans. Room rates are $59/night, based on 4 nights, October 10-14. If you stay fewer nights your rate might be slightly higher. Last year we stayed 3 nights and Larry still gave us the $59 rate.

To reserve a room you must call the hotel yourself and provide your name and credit card information. Rooms must be reserved by Monday, September 24 or they will be released to the general public. Make sure you tell them you are with the Two Wheeled Texans to get the group rate described above. Feel free to share rooms.

For reservations call Larry or Devin directly at 479-253-9541 during regular business hours. If you search for the hotel through Google and call that number, you might end up with some central reservation service who will have no idea what a Two Wheeled Texan is.

If the initial block of rooms fills up, I will attempt to get additional rooms. If no additional rooms are available, you are still welcome to attend but you will need to find your own accommodations. That being said, the starting point for the ride each day will be the Swiss Village Inn parking lot. You will need to get there in time for departure each morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

:eat:

Friday evening dinner plans are finalized. We only do one organized meal during this rally, and this is it.

It's become something of a tradition to dine on fine German food at The Bavarian Inn Restaurant. We'll continue that tradition this year.

Where:
The Bavarian Inn Restaurant
325 W Van Buren, Eureka Springs, AR 72632
https://goo.gl/maps/uXJsyc8XZ232

When:
Friday, October 12, 7:00pm

Important information needed from everyone:

Are you planning on having the duck??

The Roast Duck is a specialty at Bavarian Restaurant, and is very good. Please review the menu and let me know in the next couple of days if you would like to order either the 1/4 roast duck, or the 1/2 roast duck (the 1/2 duck is not on the menu, but available. If you want a whole duck, order 2 ;) ). They only roast a certain number each day and need to know so they don't run out.

PLEASE RESPOND EITHER IN THIS THREAD OR VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE DIRECTLY TO ME.

http://restaurant.eurekaspringsinn.com/dinner-menu/

I will have my Expedition there and can provide transportation to and from the restaurant, and can make multiple runs if necessary.

Duck-count: 1

Last edited:

I think I will try to make this one.....Thanks for planning it.

I'm not sure what my plans are that far out (I still owe the wife vacation this year) but I'd love to attend. Just to say it again for the 100th time but what a great place to ride. Everyone that showed up last year was great and Pacman organized a nice rally for all.

Ooohh highly interested. Thanks for running it again, pacman!

Had a conflict last Fall.... hope I can make this one!
Love that area.

Just a suggestion...

We've used the Best Western Inn of the Ozarks for MC groups before. Some times a little more $$ but they have plenty of rooms, the huge parking lot is level, there's a wonderful patio by the pool that's partially covered and a great place for socializing, and they have a restaurant onsite (no free breakfast though)

https://www.innoftheozarks.com/

(I used to recommend the Edelweiss Inn but my favorite owners sold out and the new guys is not quite there yet. He's a great guy but foreign and doesn't understand the American traveler so much. I had 19 rooms blocked last year and after everyone had their favorite rooms reserved he kept switching two-bed rooms to singles and vice-versa and moving reservations around to make them fit)

Last edited:

I am in!

I'm in! I had a blast last year and had the privilege of meeting some really fantastic folks. Look forward to meeting more this year!

Plans may certainly change between now and then, but I plan to ride up from the DFW area. If anyone is interesting in riding with me let me know.

I've updated your original post with a link to the rules you reference. They are in a sticky thread in the TWT Sponsored Event forum.

I also moved the thread to that forum.

Had a conflict last Fall.... hope I can make this one!
Love that area.

Just a suggestion...

We've used the Best Western Inn of the Ozarks for MC groups before. Some times a little more $$ but they have plenty of rooms, the huge parking lot is level, there's a wonderful patio by the pool that's partially covered and a great place for socializing, and they have a restaurant onsite (no free breakfast though)

https://www.innoftheozarks.com/

(I used to recommend the Edelweiss Inn but my favorite owners sold out and the new guys is not quite there yet. He's a great guy but foreign and doesn't understand the American traveler so much. I had 19 rooms blocked last year and after everyone had their favorite rooms reserved he kept switching two-bed rooms to singles and vice-versa and moving reservations around to make them fit)

Thanks for the suggestion, Stephen. Inn of the Ozarks in actually on my short list. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll be able to connect with someone who can give a good group rate.

I hadn't considered Edelweiss, but thanks for the heads up on it.

I'm also looking at Bavarian Inn. We'll see what turns up with that one.

I've updated your original post with a link to the rules you reference. They are in a sticky thread in the TWT Sponsored Event forum.

I also moved the thread to that forum.

Thanks! Does that mean you're joining us?? ;)

Looks like a great start so far, guys!

I know it's very early, and most folks don't know what October holds just yet, but I travel a lot with my job, so having dates far in advance is always helpful for me.

Is this primarily a "guy ride", or have spouses been part of this in the past?

I've already got three "me only" big rides planned for this year and SWMBO is not too happy about that. Adding a fourth ride to the list may not be conducive to marital bliss.

:trust:

Is this primarily a "guy ride", or have spouses been part of this in the past?

I've already got three "me only" big rides planned for this year and SWMBO is not too happy about that. Adding a fourth ride to the list may not be conducive to marital bliss.

:trust:

Spouses are absolutely welcome! Eureka Springs is a great place to have a couples getaway. In addition to the great riding and beautiful scenery, there's tons of spas, shopping, great restaurants, outdoor activities, etc. It's a fun little town!

I am usually up there a few times each fall I will put it on my list

Unlike most people's jobs, I can't commit to anything this far out. So I won't know until maybe 3-4 weeks before. It would be fun to bring one of the kids with me to ride two up on the GS.

I'm in and looking forward to it. Pacman, thank you very much for organizing this.

Bavarian Inn is officially out. They're much much smaller than I thought (21 rooms) and only 4 rooms have 2 beds. Plus they're about 2x what Swiss Village costs.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Bavarian Inn is officially out. They're much much smaller than I thought (21 rooms) and only 4 rooms have 2 beds. Plus they're about 2x what Swiss Village costs.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Did you check Razorback Inn...good ratings compared to Swiss.... & not much more
Also The Lodge or Candlewick Inn....& always Econo Lodge

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Did you check Razorback Inn...good ratings compared to Swiss.... & not much more
Also The Lodge or Candlewick Inn....& always Econo Lodge

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Got em on the list. Thanks!

I’m a maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back