• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Road Rage, shoulder surgery, no riding for a while

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hughes
So looks like my riding time for the next 2 to 4 months will all but stop. I'll be having my right shoulder repaired on the 24th. In summery, here's what the Doc said.

IMPRESSION:
1. High-grade partial articular sided tear distal supraspinatous anteriorly. Greater than 90% partial-thickness tearing is present (near full-thickness) with thin intact bursal surface fibers.
2. Tear of the superior labrum and posterior labrum. There is also tearing of the anterior inferior labrum with marrow edema and bony irregularity of the anterior inferior glenoid, potentially related to a Bankart lesion.
3. Moderate AC joint hypertrophy. Mild subacromial bursal edema present.

So from what I understand, the bicep is held on by a tendon that is 10cm wide. I only have 1.3 or 1.8 cm (I forget) holding it on. There is also a kind of bushing between the arm and the shoulder joint. In the center of that bushing, I have a slap tear or bankart lesian. To fix that, they are going to completely separate that bushing and slide it down a bit and reattach it. There a few other minor things as well, but they aren't as bad. For sure no riding for 4 weeks. But I'm taking another 4 or more just in case. Don't want to take any chances.

So what happened? No, I didn't drop the bike again:rider: lol.

Actually I wasn't even on it.

It was road rage! Not me, but towards me. Some guy thought I cut him off in a parking lot and decided to run up on my rear end. He didn't hit me, but rode on my backside. When we got to an intersection, he jumped out of his F250 and literally ran toward my drivers side door.

Well, the military didn't teach me to run;-)!

In all honesty, I've heard too many stories lately of people getting shot at while sitting in their cars during a road rage incident. And well, that's just not how I'm going out.

I jumped out just as he reached the rear of the car and stuck my 9mm in his chest. That put a stop to him pretty quick. But not for long. I kept telling him to back up, all while checking to make sure he didn't have a knife, gun, or anything else that could harm me. Once he saw I wasn't shooting first, he actually hit at my left arm. The pistol was in my right. While doing so he kept yelling shoot me, shoot me.

Once I was certain he didn't have a weapon I told him if he attacks, I would. But is what ever you think I done worth your life? At that point he backed off, cussed a few times and got back to his truck.

I thought all was done and over and holstered my weapon. As I turned to get in the car I heard him running at me again. I knew he didn't open his door, so I wasn't too worried about him getting a weapon out, so when he reached me I tagged him with a right hand. That stopped him, and then I went to town on him!

He finally turned his back and tried to run away so I let him go. Once out of arms reach, he says he's calling the cops because I assaulted him! I hear him tell them he was assaulted by a guy with a gun.

The cop shows up, cool lady cop, and I'm standing there with my hands on my head. She asked if I was the guy with the gun and I said yes. She then asked if I was a danger, and I said no. She then told me to put my hands down.

I gave her my side, he told her his. She said he wanted to press charges and told her, well I guess you'll have to take us both in then. As you can see he's behind me and blocked me. I defended myself. And I think I have a pretty solid defense. So do what you have to do.

She told me to wait and went back to talk to him. She came back and stated he wouldn't press charges if I didn't lol. I smiled and said I didn't think so.

Then I almost messed up!

I told her, you need to make sure that young man understands the toby law.

TOBY LAW?

Yea, Toby Law. I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was! LMAO:trust:

She looked at me for a second, I could have sworn I saw her lip curl up. But if she did think that was funny she didn't let on. She told me to sit in the car until he drove off. Once he was gone, she let me go.

Now, I hurt my shoulder yrs ago and never had it looked at. This just put the nail in it.

What I'd like you all to take away from this is, be vigilant. Keep your head on a swivel. I don't even remember passing him. He was a much younger late 20's something guy with a big chip on his shoulder. You just never know what these type of people are going to do.

If you are like me, and carry a weapon, you have to ask yourself. Is he/she really a threat? If I shoot am I in the right? What if I miss? What's behind him?

In this case, I was concerned that because I got out and met him, I could be seen as the aggressor. That's why I had to make sure if he had a weapon or not. If he had, game over. But he didn't so I tried all I could to deescalate the situation.

Ok this is long enough. Guys be safe out there. There are some crazy people out there. I just worry what he would have done if I was on the bike?:eek2:

Well said and hope you have a quick recovery. There’s tremendous responsibility attached to every bullet in your firearm. Hope that dumb kid learned something but probably not

You did good. I think this illustrates why Lane Splitting in Texas will not work. I have CHL and what I remember most from class (many years ago)...……..if you justifiably shoot someone you are going downtown, if you shoot and miss that missed bullet could get you in trouble and finally if you shoot and kill the bad guy you could get sued by the family saying, little Johnny was on drugs he didn't know what he was doing, why did you kill my little Johnnie?

He was a threat to you, and more importantly to his next victim who may not be able to defend them self.
You could have done the world a favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You did good. I think this illustrates why Lane Splitting in Texas will not work. I have CHL and what I remember most from class (many years ago)...……..if you justifiably shoot someone you are going downtown, if you shoot and miss that missed bullet could get you in trouble and finally if you shoot and kill the bad guy you could get sued by the family saying, little Johnny was on drugs he didn't know what he was doing, why did you kill my little Johnnie?

Pretty close. 9 out of 10 times, regardless of why, you'll go to jail. You'll be arraigned. The media will make you the bad guy. You'll have to prove you were in the right.

While Texas is one of the few places where a civil suit means nothing, they can still put a judgement against you and make life ****. Unlike places like Cali where they can take your pay check.

He was a threat to you, and more importantly to his next victim who may not be able to defend them self.
You could have done the world a favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Believe me, I think of that all the time. However, and this isn't "big tough guy talk" if I were to have shot, it would be to end life.

Now it's my word against a dead mans. The courts might not believe my side. Months maybe years later court costs and lawyer fees drains you dry. Everything you've LIVED for is now gone.

My point is, you use the weapon to stop a threat. That doesn't mean you have to use it. But if you do, you better make it a one way conversation.

One of the many things the military taught was situational awareness. I knew I had it covered. I knew I could take him without it. I know I sleep better at knight because I SAVED a life, not took one.

As for the next person he does this to? We have just as high a chance that it'll never happen again. I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson. I'm 100% sure that lesson was driven home once the doctor reset his nose and the dentist caped his tooth.:mrgreen:

And if not, this is why everyone needs to carry protection. Don't run from a fight, run towards it. It's hard to asses the situation when your back is turned.

Glad you are ok. I keep 911 on speed dial for situations like that. Fortunately never had to call yet.
You are correct about sometimes being costly even when right. I had a friend that fired a shot into the ground to protect himself. He told me it cost him over 20 K before it was over.

Glad this did not have a worse outcome.

The only thing that 20something year old learned from this is he is more invinceable than he thought he was. He fought a guy with a gun and lived.
Too much testosterone flooding his brain to be able to think rationally and reset his humble meter.

very good of you to save a dummy's life. the guy doesn't know what you did for him and his family.
I took a self defense course a few years ago and the one thing they stressed was that once a bullet leaves the barrel, you have already lost.
so I guess I missed how you hurt your shoulder. from the punch?

I guess I missed how you hurt your shoulder. from the punch?

Yes.
I hurt it on 05 being stupid. I think thats where or when the slap tear happened. As for the other, I hit him hard! Guess I hit him too many times.

Actually, I'm worried that the bicep tendon tear happened back then too. If it did, they might not be able to repair it. They wont know until they cut into me. The doc seems to think that it'll take. He said it's a 90% chance of taking.

Tim put a camera in his truck

I'm thankful it didn't escalate to gunshots. Very good you kept your head.

Last edited:
Glad things didn't go too badly, really sorry to hear you ended up with an injury though.
Totally agree with your assessment BTW, end the threat by whatever means most appropriate. But make sure you end it.
It is exactly this kind of situation (& the way they are increasing) that makes me carry and think maybe it's time for one of these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=83&v=SgswktK5jjI

Well that would have been a fun call. Glad you're ok (as in alive). Unfortunately I see that type of scenario often. People are so very angry and dumb these days, it's ridiculous. You showed restraint, but awareness and quick thinking to stay ahead. If I could be critical in one part though, never turn your back on the threat until it is gone from scene, make them leave first so you have them insight for safety. Also imo you were right to get out of your vehicle. It is otherwise known as a coffin if someone has got the jump on you. Officers know that one well. Just don't be the first idiot jumping out to start the confrontation. Anyway, you did good to get out, you're still breathing. Good luck healing, shoulders are bears to get back. I'm recovering from a simple strain in the gym and it really is painful and surprisingly stubborn to get healed and back to full strength.

Mental reminder, I should be carrying more. I've gotten lax in practice.

Glad it did not escalate to get any worse. I had some road rage directed at me by being tailgated by a truck while I was on the Connie but nothing like what you went thru. Wow best of luck on your upcoming procedure. Glad I was able to say at least hello to you this past Sunday at the meet and greet.

A gentle answer turns away wrath but harsh words stirs up anger NASB ( Proverbs 15: 1-2). I have displayed the peace sign to a driver then did an open palm and mouthed the words forgive me, and he backed off. If that doesn't work I'm calling 911 while I am still driving. I have 911 on speed dial. Did I need to ask other driver to forgive me, If it brings peace, why not.
Andrew Jackson had a duel with Charles Dickinson over a dispute, think it was trail rage or a gambling debt :). Charles was an expert shot and fired first. The bullet lodged less than an inch from Andrew Jackson's heart. Andrew then fired his pistol and it misfired. He re-cocked it and shot Dickinson dead. Jackson came within an inch of not being our seventh president of the USA. From biographical novel "The Presidents Lady." This was the end of a young "hothead" man challenging men he knew he could kill at 24 paces (quote book "hothead added for emphasis") He had some "last" words while Andrew aimed, "My god did I miss him." This actually helped Andy better known as Ole Hicory get elected.

Last edited:
A gentle answer turns away wrath but harsh words stirs up anger NASB ( Proverbs 15: 1-2). I have displayed the peace sign to a driver then did an open palm and mouthed the words forgive me, and he backed off. If that doesn't work I'm calling 911 while I am still driving. I have 911 on speed dial. Did I need to ask other driver to forgive me, If it brings peace, why not.
Andrew Jackson had a duel with Charles Dickinson over a dispute, think it was trail rage or a gambling debt :). Charles was an expert shot and fired first. The bullet lodged less than an inch from Andrew Jackson's heart. Andrew then fired his pistol and it misfired. He re-cocked it and shot Dickinson dead. Jackson came within an inch of not being our seventh president of the USA. From biographical novel "The Presidents Lady." This was the end of a young "hothead" man challenging men he knew he could kill at 24 paces (quote book "hothead added for emphasis") He had some "last" words while Andrew aimed, "My god did I miss him." This actually helped Andy better known as Ole Hicory get elected.

I have in the past, when I was in the wrong, tried to smooth things over. Usually works.

However, sometimes you just have to fight.

On that note, surgery went good. I had a good doctor. They installed a pain pump that went to the main nerve in my shoulder. That stated for 3 days. I guess that was the game changer.

Everyone that I know that has had this surgery stated how painful it was. Personally, it hurt just as bad when I injured it. So pain level was nothing new. Once the pump came out, I thought here it goes! But surprisingly, it didn't hurt at all.

The only real pain came when a fly landed on my knee lol. Instant reflex is to try and kill it, or at least swat it away. OMG, I about pooped myself. I had taken my sling off (doc said it's ok to) to get some air and my right hand was moving before I even knew what I was doing. As soon as I tried to swing, POW! Fly 1, Bryan 0.

Wed will be 2 weeks, doc said he wants me in a sling for at least 4. After that, just when ever my arm gets tired.

One thing I learned for sure out of this. The state Scott and White plan stinks. I'll be doing my own physical therapy. It just costs too much. 40 for a copay and then 20% for each visit. My dad has been through it twice and there's enough videos online to figure the rest out. I'll also get some advice from the Doc on the 13th. Already, I'd say I have 40% of my movement back and that's without doing anything. Each day I get alittle more movement without any pain. The whole goal with PT is to get 100% of your movement back, WITHOUT hurting yourself. I think I can do that. Heck, I tore 99% of that tendon and nursed myself back, I don't see why I can't to it again. I also know, next summer I'm dumping Scott and White and trying the other insurance. At least with the other plan, you get free gym memberships.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 130
Dang man , I hope you heal fast. The shoulder needed attention any didn't it ? You will be good as new and ready for one of those Honda 450 L. Heal fast, friend,

Man, we could start our own club. I’ve had my third and hopefully final surgery on my right shoulder. Total reverse replacement. I totally get the pain thing. That pain med ball that went in prior to my surgery was a God send. Just managing the pain now with good drugs as necessary. Good luck with your recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Work hard with that rehab. I'm all for denying those rehab places. You know thats a lucriative racket, there's one on every corner. By way, thanks for your service.

Veterans Day 2018 in United States of America
Sunday, November 11
Observed date:
Monday, November 12

Back