• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GS1000E.....again

Downs

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
So now that I am not bound to Uncle Sam, I figure I can finally get this bike running and keep it that way as well as finally finish the bonded title stuff. :giveup:

Getting it running should take less time than getting all the bonded title stuff lined up. I've got most of the paperwork done but need to get the VIN Verification still. Then take a trip to Carrollton to the regional DMV then a trip to get a bond then to the Theives Den (Tax office) to finish it all up.

I've got to get some random nuts and bolts together that were apparently pulled off the bike by my dad or brother to piece together somethign they were working on and never replaced. :angryfire:

On top of the new chain/sprockets, fork seals, and fork bushings on the Strom plus moving into a new house and doing oil, plugs, and half shafts on the wife's Honda PIlot I've got a lot of work to do in the near future :/

21640901_10214569126928025_6093254625885099907_o.jpg

2fc955b752598fa50bb3df3b1ea171a0.jpg

This will be the 4th time this bike has been put back together and made into running condition again.

Vin tag says 78 (I think I'll have to double check) and I've always been told it's a 78 but insurance company swears it's a 79 based off of vin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how I haven't noticed this in the past. The frame and engine have different numbers. Frame is a 78 engine is apparently from a 79. Now I need to call the insurance company and change that vin I've been covering for all these years haha

Suzuki didn't use matching numbers between frame and engine. your tail section is a 78, I cant tell if there is a inditation on the side of the tank that lines up with the stripes on the tail or not.

also a 78 1000 will have a mounting tab for the turn signal warning buzzer on the frame under the tank. extremely rare for the buzzer to still be present.

Good to know. Tank isn't an original 1000E tank. I forgot where we got it from but it was from a MC Salvage yard in west texas. The original skunk tank was riddled with holes from being in a Tennessee basement for 13 years.

The VIN tag on the frame indicates manuf. March of 78 but the insurance company says it's a 79 so all of my paper work currently says 79 for my bonded title.

Good to know. Tank isn't an original 1000E tank. I forgot where we got it from but it was from a MC Salvage yard in west texas. The original skunk tank was riddled with holes from being in a Tennessee basement for 13 years.

The VIN tag on the frame indicates manuf. March of 78 but the insurance company says it's a 79 so all of my paper work currently says 79 for my bonded title.

there were no 79 skunks, insurance company was wrong.

I think that is a 78 tank, the logo is in line with where the tail line is. 79 and 80 had the logo a bit higher.

That tank is off of a bike at a salvage yard. I want to say it was off of a GS750 possibly? Can't remember it's been 16ish years since we got it running the first time, I know that we had to use some different mounting hardware on the back of the tank to make it bolt on.

After I get it running and get the title and everything squared away I'll be taking it to a paint shop and see what I"d be looking at to get the tank painted correctly for a skunk bike.

Leon, after correcting the vin with the insurance company they agree it is a 78. So it was just a mix up on vin number. I find it weird the "engine vin" comes back as a 79 motorcycle while the frame vin comes back as a 78. Weird. But I'd guess records from that time frame aren't 100 percent either.

Bonded title and taxes done. Need to do a little more work on it to get it inspected then I can register it.

Got a 15 day temp tag for now so I can get it into town for inspection.

Been 17 years in the making. I hate bonded titles. Everytime in the past id get around to doing the bonded title I'd get orders somewhere and leave the bike in Texas and it'd drop off my radar.

Ready to get it ready to roll. Legally.

the number on the engine is not a vin so vin rules don't apply. it is just the engine serial number.

need to bring it to friday night at the burger box!

Got some help working on it today. But she lives. And runs. And rolls. Hope to get it inspected and registered tomorrow.

7923b681a9a9b4a326e96f59f8140bfd.jpg

Last edited:
[ame="http://youtu.be/FPA958IIRZk"]GS1000 Runs - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
For the first time in 30 years (last registration was in 1987 in Tennessee) it's licensed, inspected and road ready. Rode it into town and had some fueling issues and the floats were sticking on the 3 and 4 carb but the more I rode it around town the better the bike ran.

I took the carbs off yesterday and look them over and they looked and seemed to be pretty clean, I'm glad I drained them the last time we put it up. I'm guessing that as more fuel ran through the circuits and the floats got worked things started flowing and working better. I think I'm going to have to step my needles up a notch or maybe add some washers as it's falling flat on it's face at WOT like it's running lean. The new header pipes have a good color and aren't turning blue so I don't think I'm running lean at any point but at WOT.

Ready for my next 48 hours off so I can burn a tank or two of gas though it and see if she clears up some more. Speedo is about 10 MPH off as verified by cell phone. Bike runs 70-75 effortlessly and smoothly. Intake honk is insane though. It's louder than the DELVIC system by a good bit.

22310652_10214744430750511_7570501812624168884_n.jpg

22281821_10214744430710510_8987213364214361069_n.jpg

VM26 Carbs. This was right before Suzuki went to CV carbs on everything from what I understand. Can be kind of a pain to tune from what I'm gathering.

The ones on mybike were rebuilt years ago by a fellow in the Hill Country. Supposed to be already setup for a bike with pod filters and exhaust. I really need to pull the float bowls back off and record all the data for what's in there and figure out if I really need to start making adjustments or if there's some other issue going on in regards to my WOT fueling.

With the time they spent just setting they could probably benefit from a dip in an ultrasonic cleaner. I've had good results doing that with Kawasaki mower carbs. No kit, no complete disassembly just a few hours in the tank.

I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner. It's on the short list but finding one that can fit a whole rack of carbs would would be a search. I'll mess with them some more do a through hand cleaning if need be.

I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner. It's on the short list but finding one that can fit a whole rack of carbs would would be a search. I'll mess with them some more do a through hand cleaning if need be.

I have on from Harbor Freight. I think it was around $50-60. It works great, but it has a hard time fitting even one complete carb. I have to remove the bowl and pieces. Then I put it in one way, let it run, put it in another way, let it run, etc,... However, it works REALLY well. I do 3 parts water and 1 part Pine-Sol. It is also heated. It's a slight inconvenience having to do multiple runs for one carb, but the big cleaners get pricey REAL fast!

Right now I've got to get them to stop overflowing and leaking. I'm sure that's causing problems on its own. I'm going to pull the rack out in the near future and replace the float needles and seats and reset float height.

Back