• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HB2470 / HB3838 "Malories Law" - Foot Pegs and Grab Handles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HB 2470 Malories Law - Heads up sportbikes, they're gunning for you...

I'm certain America will never go to a tiered license program, for one reason. How many baby boomers and such get the kids out of the house, and/or retire then go out and buy a Harley without any previous riding experience. You think HD would let a law pass that cut into their sales. Maybe if they could get sportsters on the list of beginner bikes.

Oh, I agree and explained this in my earlier posts. HD is big money. Heck, they talked their way into bogus "dumping" legislation in the 80s just to get a leg up on the competition in big motorcycles. That's why there were all those 700s instead of 750s back then. They've got pull and they don't have the engineering capability to build small motorcycles, never have. The closest they came was the GAWD AWFUL Buell Blast, whadda piece of work THAT one was. :doh: HD would be hurting without the male menopause purchaser. :lol2: You think those male menopause types are going to want to ride a 250 around for 2 years? HECK no, only GIRLS and kids ride 250s! They'll just move on to Porsches or something and forget the "biker lifestyle" of trailering to rallies, fake bugs on the jacket, temporary tatoos, and all that. :rofl:

The Malorie's Law "pro" page has 2,666 likes while the "nay" page only has 444.

IT had a lot more, then when the bill failed it started to drop <shrug>
google Malories Law and see what you see more of. :-)

I noticed several references to how HD can put up the money to control a few laws that would impact them. Actually they don't have to do much more than whisper in a few ears to get the Harley loyalists to do the talking for them. Take a look at the next HD crowd that rides past you and the one thing that stands out is that those guys/gals know how to fall in line and chirp the same tune - same dress, same riding style, same everything. Once united in a perceived cause there is no way to change that mindset.

With the absolutely dominant presence in the American market (at least as perceived by non-riders) HD riders command a louder than deserved voice of motorcyclists. No politician is going to stand up tell the HD faithful they can't have their way. There is a reason Malorie's Law was written to virtually exempt HD's bikes. HD corporate won't have to spend a dime once they give the marching orders.

Wow. Way to spout those "facts".

1) They DO have a dominant position in the US market, regardless of perception.
2) Those guys you see in the Harley "crowds" don't represent the entirety of Harley's customer base.
3) Did you ever stop to think that the law largely exempts Harley's bikes because most of Harley's bikes are designed to carry two people?

Wait, I thought the law was for bikes that were set up to carry two people?

Wait, I thought the law was for bikes that were set up to carry two people?

It is, kind of. It's to specify what constitutes appropriate equipment for carrying a passenger. The law doesn't exempt certain styles of bikes, but the equipment it prescribes is common on cruisers of all makes.

It is, kind of. It's to specify what constitutes appropriate equipment for carrying a passenger. The law doesn't exempt certain styles of bikes, but the equipment it prescribes is common on cruisers of all makes.

Ok that's kind of what I thought. They're not exempted, they just already comply.

I just didn't have the gumption, bandwidth or desire to mobilize this time around. I was aware of it, just didn't act.

Aren't handholds the belt loops of the person in front? lol

If I have no passenger pegs or other implements for a passenger, do I still have to have a grab handle?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This has been law since Sep 2013

Been teaching it in the BRC since I started in May. It is required information for instructors to put out.

This has been law since Sep 2013

Been teaching it in the BRC since I started in May. It is required information for instructors to put out.

Can you clarify the part about being a Class B Misd for section "(a)"? That's a go-to-jail offense, whatever they are referring to.

And for those of us currently with a motorcycle endorsement, can we legally ride three-wheelers (can-am spyder type) or do we need some class/endorsement to do so?

What about a hack?

Can you clarify the part about being a Class B Misd for section "(a)"? That's a go-to-jail offense, whatever they are referring to.

I think they are referring to anyone who teaches a class that is not licensed by the state.

And for those of us currently with a motorcycle endorsement, can we legally ride three-wheelers (can-am spyder type) or do we need some class/endorsement to do so?

What about a hack?

Yes same license (endorsement) if it's considered a "motorcycle" in Texas

So scooter (exceeds 30MPH in under 1 mile), motorcycle or three wheel trike

And the other.. You may not offer or conduct training in motorcycle operation
for [a] consideration unless the person is licensed by or contracts with the designated state agency.

That means you can not offer to train someone to ride a motorcycle for money, goods or trade unless your certified to do so and do so in accordance with the state laws and procedures.

Thank you!

Will be interesting to see how this affects the 1 sticker thing too

Will be interesting to see how this affects the 1 sticker thing too

What do you see in HB 3838 that effects or deals with the state inspection process
?

What do you see in HB 3838 that effects or deals with the state inspection process
?

He's probably thinking they can add inspection criteria for the new "handholds". But that cannot be as it is only a requirement if you carry a passenger. If the inspector asks just tell them you never ride two up.

_

HB 2470 Malories Law - Heads up sportbikes, they're gunning for you...

They DID add inspection criteria in Section 547.617 of the Transportation Code. And not "if" you carry a passenger, but when "as designed to carry a passenger".

Last edited:

So if the law is aimed at 'sport bikes' does its impact on 'dual sport bikes' count as collateral damage? My WR has passenger pegs, but the so called hand hold was a vinyl strap across the seat. It was eliminated early on as it rested under my seat. Later when I installed the aftermarket seat there is not a strap. Does this mean that my bike would fail a by the book inspection for not having hand holds?

Sport bikes are so fast you need a co-pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back