• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Zundapp in Amsterdam

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Doughtie
Saw this restored Zundapp in Amsterdam at our hotel. Whoever did the restoration, did a great job.

i-dLsDXFj-L.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited by a moderator:
Never mind. If anyone with better attachment skills than me can turn it right side up, feel free.

dap_zpsbb9bbdf5.jpg

Never actually saw one, but a collection of books titled "World of Motorcycles" I've had since I was a teen shows several Zundapp models and tells about their history.

My Uncle had a "57 Zundapp when I was a wee kid. My favorite early memories are riding around the block on the gas tank of that bike with my Dad or my Uncle. Last time i heard my Uncle still had the old Zundapp stashed in the back of his garage.

were those German, seems like there were a few on M/C tracks in '71-- I was in 125 class think they had sunburst heads and sounded Penton-ish ring a ding ding ding, we didn't have silencers till '72, no wonder I can't hear. Hated the sound but loved the sound of castor oil (blendsoil) on any Sunday morning. 30 to 1

Yes I think the Zundapps were German, but the motor was a Sachs. Which is why it sounded Penton like, they also had Sachs engines in the early years.

Yes I think the Zundapps were German, but the motor was a Sachs. Which is why it sounded Penton like, they also had Sachs engines in the early years.

Your right they were Sachs powered, I remember they ran with the Hodaka's middle to rear of pack. You couldn't be a good enough rider to win M/C on em .

I remember those running all over the place when I was growing up in Germany.

Me too. I saw those by the thousands when I was a kid in Bavaria. What was funny was the "gangs" on Zundapps. They'd blow through town sounding like a pack of angry bees. The riders would be wearing jeans jackets with club colors and great gang names like "Heaven's Devils." That's what comes from the US exporting those awful Nancy Sinatra motorcycle movies to Europe.

We never paid much attention to them (Zundapp) while riding DT1s, they were ugly as well as slow, only now can I appreciate the survivors.

Me too. I saw those by the thousands when I was a kid in Bavaria. What was funny was the "gangs" on Zundapps. They'd blow through town sounding like a pack of angry bees. The riders would be wearing jeans jackets with club colors and great gang names like "Heaven's Devils." That's what comes from the US exporting those awful Nancy Sinatra motorcycle movies to Europe.
YES I remember! We were in Stuttgart.

YES I remember! We were in Stuttgart.

I think I saw Heaven's Devils in Kaiserslautern in the 70s when I was in the Army. But I saw various clubs all across southern Germany in the 60s and 70s. Americans thought they were "cute", because let's face it - a guy on a Zundapp looks about as dangerous as Eric von Zipper. We had a club in Pirmasens where I was stationed in 1976 - der Teufels (translated the Devils).

Back