• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is the BEST Chicken Fried Steak in Texas?

Sadly I am way behind on my CFS reports,so any of you fine folks had a good Chicken Fried Steak lately? Let's hear about it. Pictures are always a bonus. KP

Mr2mch just posted a picture of a plate of something for under $10 on the July Meet & Greet.

I've just never seen CFS with tails... Just sayin'...

:scratch:

My6 and I ate at Buffalo Grille in Houston a while back. When I ordered the CFS they asked if I wanted the regular one and I said "yes" thinking the bigger one had a different name like "grande" or "field hand" or something. This is what they brought me. SO good! And I had two more meals at home from the leftovers!

BuffaloGrilleRegularCFS_zps69255223.jpg

Last edited:
What I really need is a thread about where to eat light on the road.

Share a plate works with me. Most sandwich shops have light meals with turkey or lean ham. Most places do have lighter selections. I have noticed the older I get the less I can eat.

Okay we have a bunch of new members signed up. We like to hear about your favorite place to chow down on chicken fried steak. Post up the location and a picture if you have it of your plate of CFS.

abana4u8.jpg
The EastTexas750 group had lunch Saturday at The Stump near Lake Sam Rayburn. My6 and I ordered the CFS. The steak was thick in places but was fairly tender. The crust was a little burned and less than delicate. Steak and veggies had a healthy amount if garlic. Veggies were awesome and serving was large. Each of us got a cereal bowl of gravy that we could have shared. Made a good dipping sauce for the Texas toast. The steak takes up half of the plate underneath the bowl. Veggies took up most of the rest. A little heavy but good.

The EastTexas750 group had lunch Saturday at The Stump near Lake Sam Rayburn. My6 and I ordered the CFS. The steak was thick in places but was fairly tender. The crust was a little burned and less than delicate. Steak and veggies had a healthy amount if garlic. Veggies were awesome and serving was large. Each of us got a cereal bowl of gravy that we could have shared. Made a good dipping sauce for the Texas toast.

NO PICS/NEVER HAPPENED!:lol2:

Way behind on my chicken fried steak updates. Here is a recent one I ate in Morgans pont at Backyard BBQ. Really good food but poor service. Nice CF, gravy was good and my bro had bbq and it was very good and fall apart tender. This place is extra small seats around 3 dozen people.

100_2942-001_zpsce9c470e.jpg

Next is where our upcoming meet and greet and eat is. Johnson City Texas at the Pecan street brewing. Really good tasty CFS and even better gravy. Fries were decent to but I wish they were steak fries. Give them a try you will not regret it. If you like what you see we are having a meet and greet here on August 10th at 11am. Come join us for lunch. KP

100_2909-001_zps152809a8.jpg

Came across a tasty CFS and felt obligated to share with y'all.

This one was had at The Surrey Inn in Caldwell (no fringe on top that I noticed), at the intersection of 36 and 21 on the NE corner. The full parking lot was the give-away that this might be a good choice for lunch.

The CFS was on the Sunday lunch buffet and was so tender that my fork nearly fell through it. The breading put up most of the fight against the fork. Well seasoned too. It was yummy. The knife which was provided remained unsullied during this meal.

Sorry, no pics, but if you are in the area and looking for something to eat this is one of those hidden gems of country cookin' to be found while out and about.

The buffet was well-appointed with hamburger steak, fried fish, meat loaf, sausage, and fried chicken (MCBelle's fave), with a variety of sides, salad bar and home made peach cobbler for dessert. I honestly didn't want to leave without trying a little of everything, but yielded to a rare stroke of good sense that got the better of me and I left a few things to try on the next strafing run.

Though I never glanced at a menu, I'd guess the CFS would be found there as well.

MCBelle remarked how this was a place her folks often took the family several decades ago, so it has some street cred. The place looks like it has been there forever and the staff was welcoming and very attentive.

It is now on my list to create a new "shortcut" of back roads timed to hit Caldwell at lunchtime after a morning departure from the greater Winchester metropolitan area.

Came across a tasty CFS and felt obligated to share with y'all.

This one was had at The Surrey Inn in Caldwell (no fringe on top that I noticed), at the intersection of 36 and 21 on the NE corner. The full parking lot was the give-away that this might be a good choice for lunch.

The CFS was on the Sunday lunch buffet and was so tender that my fork nearly fell through it. The breading put up most of the fight against the fork. Well seasoned too. It was yummy. The knife which was provided remained unsullied during this meal.

Sorry, no pics, but if you are in the area and looking for something to eat this is one of those hidden gems of country cookin' to be found while out and about.

The buffet was well-appointed with hamburger steak, fried fish, meat loaf, sausage, and fried chicken (MCBelle's fave), with a variety of sides, salad bar and home made peach cobbler for dessert. I honestly didn't want to leave without trying a little of everything, but yielded to a rare stroke of good sense that got the better of me and I left a few things to try on the next strafing run.

Though I never glanced at a menu, I'd guess the CFS would be found there as well.

MCBelle remarked how this was a place her folks often took the family several decades ago, so it has some street cred. The place looks like it has been there forever and the staff was welcoming and very attentive.

It is now on my list to create a new "shortcut" of back roads timed to hit Caldwell at lunchtime after a morning departure from the greater Winchester metropolitan area.

Open Sundays?

"The CFS was on the Sunday lunch buffet and was so tender ..." :eat:

Sounds awful tempting might have to make a road trip with the crew to try it out.:trust: From Lampasas it seems to always take forever to get that direction. The buffet at Dublin was really good also. Will be a repeat place in 2015 for a meet and greet for sure.

If you are around the coast of Texas I found a spot you might want to check out. The place is called Mickey's Bar @Grill in Aransas Pass Texas. Good CFS and even better onion rings and chicken tenders. Good cool outdoor seating with decent food for a bar. Caution this is a "smoking allowed" place but we sat way far away from the bar so we were safe. I would not eat there when it is cold but during the spring and summer they have the garage doors all open for a view of the channel.

100_3700-001_zps4ed245bc.jpg

100_3698-001_zps619df579.jpg

Looks pretty darn good. Hey, can we start adding the prices to the reviews?

That must be a fairly new CFS house, I don't remember it from the last time I was in the area. What do you think, 5 years old or less?

I know I am one of the only out-of-staters on this thread, but I travel Texas a lot and really appreciate this information.

Although it is in Colorado, I have to share a recent CFS that I enjoyed in Crested Butte, Co.

Maxwell's Steak House

It was Elk Tenderloin CFS with Jalapeño Gravy. It is the official best CFS I have ever had. If you have a chance to try Elk anywhere....go for it!

imagejpg1_zps4e93891f.jpg

Looks pretty darn good. Hey, can we start adding the prices to the reviews?

That must be a fairly new CFS house, I don't remember it from the last time I was in the area. What do you think, 5 years old or less?

$13.95 with two large sides for the CFS. Just called them they opened up 7 years ago. Unless you were on a boat you will never see them. They are not that far off the road but impossible to see from the main drag. You drive thru a RV park to get there. The Chicken tenders were good also. We had fried mushrooms.onion rings,fries,etc. All good,ask for Bob if you go he was our waiter. Does that work SL?

I know I am one of the only out-of-staters on this thread, but I travel Texas a lot and really appreciate this information.

Although it is in Colorado, I have to share a recent CFS that I enjoyed in Crested Butte, Co.

Maxwell's Steak House

It was Elk Tenderloin CFS with Jalapeño Gravy. It is the official best CFS I have ever had. If you have a chance to try Elk anywhere....go for it!

imagejpg1_zps4e93891f.jpg

I had a grilled Elk steak at the restaurant next to the Bass Pro Shop in Grapevine several years ago and it was one of the tenderest, best tasting steaks I've ever had. Very pricey, bordering on expensive, but I was on company expenses which made it even better.:thumb:

Next is where our upcoming meet and greet and eat is. Johnson City Texas at the Pecan street brewing. Really good tasty CFS and even better gravy. Fries were decent to but I wish they were steak fries. Give them a try you will not regret it. If you like what you see we are having a meet and greet here on August 10th at 11am. Come join us for lunch. KP

100_2909-001_zps152809a8.jpg

My family has property in Blanco....just south of Johnson City. My daughter and son in law live in San Antonio right now...in Med School at UTSA..... So, I will be riding south and tapping into this lovely piece of beef!!!!

Tell your daughter to try LuLu's on Main street for chicken fried steak in San Antonio.

Back