• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM Thumper Discussion

Yes mine has the same type of vents, left side high facing forward, right side low facing backwards to draw out fumes.

I have had a lot of bikes but I think this vent is just bad. It actually sloshes gas if the take is very full when I ride.

The other problem is any clothes I have hanging in the trailer smell really bad.

Have thought of putting a little rubber balloon over the vent when in the trailer. Would allow fumes to expand and contract, but then I realized I had a perfect fuel / air bomb sitting there waiting for any static charge to set it off so that might not be the best approach.

Have had a LOT of bikes over the years, this is by far the worst...

:tab That is really weird. I don't know why a particular bike would be better/worse? All of my dirt bikes vent to atmosphere through the little rubber hoses attached to the gas caps. I even left a small opened Tupperware tub sitting in the trailer that had gas drained from the carbs in it. My trailer sits in the open with no shade, so it gets toasty inside. So I don't see why the bike venting would cause so much trouble... :ponder:

:tab Is it possible one or both of the trailer vents might be clogged? Mud Dobbers maybe?

Rekluse first impressions. This is going to take some getting used to. I don't have any feathering ability with the clutch. I guess it's going to be feathering with the throttle now? It just is kinda weird. I have the clutch set up for medium and harder per the suggested settings from Rekluse. The throttle hit is pretty hard. I'm going to try and get used to this but I may need to use the medium soft setting? Anybody have any experience with these clutches?

Use Rotella T (diesel) oil until the clutch plates wear in (20-30 hrs) Once the clutch starts slipping too much , return to motorcycle oil.
It'll give you less of that gravy feeling .

Rekluse first impressions. This is going to take some getting used to. I don't have any feathering ability with the clutch. I guess it's going to be feathering with the throttle now? It just is kinda weird. I have the clutch set up for medium and harder per the suggested settings from Rekluse. The throttle hit is pretty hard. I'm going to try and get used to this but I may need to use the medium soft setting? Anybody have any experience with these clutches?

Might consider a bar mounted back brake... I watched a guy roll backwards down a bentonite dune the weekend before last because he had a Rekluse and stalled out going up a steep hill...

Might consider a bar mounted back brake... I watched a guy roll backwards down a bentonite dune the weekend before last because he had a Rekluse and stalled out going up a steep hill...

I haven't had any stalling issues, though I have heard it is possible. I don't want to give up my clutch lever, I just need to retrain myself on how the bike responds. The good news is that I did not have nearly the hand issues that I normally had with my stock clutch, which is why I made the change in the first place.

Pretty much, it is built on the same production line as the KTM but with a few upgraded parts "LOL"

Actually that is what I thought until I started looking at mine. Turns out they use the KTM engine and wheels, but it is a different frame, forks, rear suspension. Quite a bit different really.

I know there are fewer options for things like larger tanks for the Husky than the KTM because they are completely different.

I am sure they will sell you one if there are any left.

They stopped shipping 2017 a while back and the 2018 will released in a staggered fashion over the next 4-5 months.

Actually that is what I thought until I started looking at mine. Turns out they use the KTM engine and wheels, but it is a different frame, forks, rear suspension. Quite a bit different really.

I know there are fewer options for things like larger tanks for the Husky than the KTM because they are completely different.

Not starting an argument, it is far more than engine and wheels of the bikes that are mostly the same. The frames are identical. The Husky subframe is different but that has no bearing on how the bike handles.

Suspension is identical to KTM suspension, maybe with different valving, and the rear suspension on Husky is a linkage instead of PDS. Basically 100% of the Husky crosses over to some model of KTM except for the subframe, the intake parts (because of the subframe), the seat and the plastic.

When KTM bought Husky they said they were going to use that brand as a premium platform and to have a more cutting edge design. I guess if you consider that they added the linkage suspension, a composite subframe and a higher price they got there. No big deal that they are mostly the same, if you are going to have a copy of another bike at least it is the best one out there.

Let the build begin:

IMG_1795_zps6pyalr6o.jpg

Wow, sweet !!! Can't wait to finely ride with you and roost some dirt onto the shinny new bike :)

I am sure you know this guy already, he has some nice stuff. Several items can be found on my Husky!

Anybody have an NOZI or equivalent needle laying around ? For sale or trade . Or point me in a direction to buy one . The only one I se on eBay is in Finland.

Anybody have an NOZI or equivalent needle laying around ? For sale or trade . Or point me in a direction to buy one . The only one I se on eBay is in Finland.

I have had good luck with Munn and Motosport for new KTM parts. The sucker price for a new needle runs about $10 in the US. Factoring in the exchange rate, I'm sure you'd find a much better deal in Finland especially considering the taxes and shipping charges.

2008 450 EXC. No fan installed. Bike is motarded.

While riding on Sunday I saw antifreeze here(see pics). Not a lot of it, but certainly enough to notice.
How concerned should I be? It was before noon, so not the hottest part of the day. We had been riding at elevated speeds and earlier in the day I had to sit at a light and thought I could smell antifreeze.

d114649078825eb0cd5fba4bb2100856.jpg
22d6062a0d47c9b5be872854bf7aff4b.jpg

Back