• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire damage by barbed wire

Reaction score
I managed to run over a barbed wire in LMMP. The wire tangled itself in the swingarm and the rear wheel. It was pretty terrifying looking. It locked up the wheel good. I thought for sure the tire is toast when I got off the bike and saw the mess. I extricated the wire. And the tire is still holding pressure. So the barb did not tear all the way thru the tire.

So there is this 6" long slice between the knobs. Probably 2mm deep, assuming based on the size of the barb. How thick is the tire?

The thing is that the tire is brand new. And like $100.

Ps. There're no barbed wire fence anywhere nearby. A booby trap?

In the sidewall? Then the tire is done and needs to be replaced. It can fail at any time.

...So there is this 6" long slice between the knobs. Probably 2mm deep, assuming based on the size of the barb. How thick is the tire?...

So the slice is into the tire carcass? I would air down the tire and then try to spread the rubber apart. If you can see belts and they are partially sliced I would replace the tire. If not I wouldn't worry. But my question is are you really gonna listen to the advice given here anyway? hahaha

_

You have a gopro right?? Just keep it running in case you use the tire
that way you can be an example for others to learn from:lol2::lol2:

Why risk it, if you are DSing the bike you don't want it to fail at speed on the road

I managed to run over a barbed wire in LMMP. The wire tangled itself in the swingarm and the rear wheel. It was pretty terrifying looking. It locked up the wheel good. I thought for sure the tire is toast when I got off the bike and saw the mess. I extricated the wire. And the tire is still holding pressure. So the barb did not tear all the way thru the tire.

So there is this 6" long slice between the knobs. Probably 2mm deep, assuming based on the size of the barb. How thick is the tire?

The thing is that the tire is brand new. And like $100.

Ps. There're no barbed wire fence anywhere nearby. A booby trap?

Replace it and have piece of mind. Your safety and health are far more valuable than any tire.

You have a gopro right?? Just keep it running in case you use the tire
that way you can be an example for others to learn from:lol2::lol2:

Why risk it, if you are DSing the bike you don't want it to fail at speed on the road

No, I don't have a gopro yet. But I'm going overseas soon, and I'm going to look for those knock-off Gopro when I'm there.

No, I don't see anything but rubber in the groove. Are dirt tires suppose to have metal belts in them?

This tire is full dirt knobby, so it never be on the road. I only run it at 12 psi. It's Bridgestone something. Like $90 a piece.

Yes, I should probably replace it, but I just can't stand to throw away a tire with so much good looking knobs on it.

I guess I am not as cautious as the others, if you are not riding on the road, then I would use it till it goes flat or wears out. The tires are clamped to the rim so they can run at 0PSI, most of the time we are not going that fast so a sudden blow out is just a real nuisance, but no real danger, the main issue is that once it goes flat/tears you could be a long way from anywhere and when it fails it could make the bike unrideable, so just make sure you have some friends riding with you who can either go get a spare tire or help you get your bike out and home.

Gary

I am with gary, if it is off road only rock on no worries it will go flat
and you will wallow around but should have no issues

If the split is that bad it will open up and the tube will get pinched or punctured but you can still almost always ride back out.

I cut one down a year or so ago 6'' cut through the sidewall and rode about
3 miles back to the truck tire was still on the rim yea it was loose sliding around but that's riding

Somebody was channeling Steve McQueen attempting to jump to freedom in Switzerland:-P

Back