• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Car tire installation

Sidecar pusher tires tend to wear fast. I've had pretty good service out of the stock D-401's at about 5,000 miles. I don't know if the D-402 touring tires would last any longer on my rig.

The classic auto radial would make sense only if it would surely last 12,000+ miles, but I'm "hearing" they may be of softer compound that wear faster. :shrug: However, I sure would like the extra braking traction with more rubber on the road with a flat profile auto tire. I'm not yet convinced it's worth a test.

I haven't had a rig in 23 years, but this is a picture of my car tire (205/55-16 Michelin HydroEdge) taken with 40,000 miles on it with my Valkyrie.
IMG_20110904_125737.jpg

I haven't had a rig in 23 years, but this is a picture of my car tire (205/55-16 Michelin HydroEdge) taken with 40,000 miles on it with my Valkyrie.
What psi do you run? I had about 38 on my Pirelli and wore it down to the wear bars in the center after 18,000. I'm running about 34 psi now to try to get more even tread wear. I could go lower but I don't like the squishy feeling in the curves.

What psi do you run? I had about 38 on my Pirelli and wore it down to the wear bars in the center after 18,000. I'm running about 34 psi now to try to get more even tread wear. I could go lower but I don't like the squishy feeling in the curves.

I run 26# most all the time. I love the way it rides and my footpegs say they love to make sparks.:rider:

I recently mounted a Falken on the rear of the Wing (after the low mileage fiasco in Bigbend for motorcycle tire!)
Discount tire mounted it but couldn't balance, I hear there is a guy in Tomball who will balance it so needless to say the regular dealer down the street won't get ANY of my business anymore since he refused to not only balance but also made up a story about having to report all his jobs to his insurance company! Just say you won't do it, don't fib about it dealers. Hopefully he's reading it and will know who he is.

There is an independent shop in Conroe that is located on Hwy 105 about 2 blocks East of I45, they installed a CT on my Burgman and a friends Burg. They will install and balance while you wait. When the did my Burg 650, they said it was their 1st Burgman. The changer told me they average about 10 Wings each month.

A burgman huh? I've done lots of wings and a couple Harleys but never done a burgman or heard of one being done. What tire you running?

A burgman huh? I've done lots of wings and a couple Harleys but never done a burgman or heard of one being done. What tire you running?

I am running a Nexen 165 60R 14. I have about 3000 miles on it and really like the it. The tire is stable and has a 130 MPH rating. A lot of Burg riders are running the Bridgestone Potenza 165 65R 14 and is a 112 MPH tire but some have reported high speed wobble at 90 MPH. I and a friend have not had that issue with the Nexen. Tire was purchased from Tires Easy.com.

I am running a Nexen 165 60R 14. I have about 3000 miles on it and really like the it. The tire is stable and has a 130 MPH rating. A lot of Burg riders are running the Bridgestone Potenza 165 65R 14 and is a 112 MPH tire but some have reported high speed wobble at 90 MPH. I and a friend have not had that issue with the Nexen. Tire was purchased from Tires Easy.com.

Cool. I guess it's a new option to offer my customers even though I don't get many burgs in the shop...

Thanks, i found out there is a place called Velocity Motorsports in Tomball that will do it and they are much closer to me than Conroe! :rider:
There is an independent shop in Conroe that is located on Hwy 105 about 2 blocks East of I45, they installed a CT on my Burgman and a friends Burg. They will install and balance while you wait. When the did my Burg 650, they said it was their 1st Burgman. The changer told me they average about 10 Wings each month.

For all those concerned with liability, why not just take the wheel off, carry it in and tell the bike shop that you need the CT for your 3-wheeled conversion of some sort? Does that not remove the bike shop from any liability?

I assume that anyone who is determined to put a CT on is one willing to accept full responsibility, feeling up to the challenge of sensibly experimenting with said tire and accepting any negative impact without pursuit of legal action against the people who simply installed the tire and had no part in the choice to use such.

I will one day try this out. I'm on a bit of a track day kick (for me anyway) and they aren't too keen on CT...

I never take the whole bike in, just the wheel and what I mentioned above took place with just the wheel and tire already mounted all I needed was balancing.

For all those concerned with liability, why not just take the wheel off, carry it in and tell the bike shop that you need the CT for your 3-wheeled conversion of some sort? Does that not remove the bike shop from any liability?

I assume that anyone who is determined to put a CT on is one willing to accept full responsibility, feeling up to the challenge of sensibly experimenting with said tire and accepting any negative impact without pursuit of legal action against the people who simply installed the tire and had no part in the choice to use such.

I will one day try this out. I'm on a bit of a track day kick (for me anyway) and they aren't too keen on CT...

Oh a Dark Side thread!!

I have the Dunlop Elite III on my Voyager and they handle like crud, a car tire may be an improvement.

Oh a Dark Side thread!!

I have the Dunlop Elite III on my Voyager and they handle like crud, a car tire may be an improvement.

Give it a go. As you know the Elite 3 is NOT a cheap tire and you could buy at least 2 CT for the price of one elite...

I did a gravel test with the car tire on the back of the wing on the way to Crazy Bob's Fairfield campout. The care tire handles really well on road, offroad, even in some loose stuff. I think the sidewalls are softer so they flex keeping a larger contact patch on the road.
This is my first CT on a motorcycle and as some had predicted, I'm happy to say I don't ride on the edges when I turn and the bike didn't spontaneously combust either!
Now we'll see how many miles I can get out of it, the G709 rear didn't last but about 5000miles!!! :rider:

Looks like I will not be putting a C/T on my bike after all. Best I can run is a 140 and even that is tight so finding a C/T to fit is next to impossible. 1998 Harley dressers just don't have a lot of room in the back. Bummer. What I would like to add to the mix is that when some one says "You can't turn with a car tire on a bike" Ask them how the bikes with 280 or 300 tires on the back turn? Heck I saw a bike with such a wide tire on the rear it did not need a kick stand.
Wish I could run some thing that gets better then 10k on it.
Tom

Looks like I will not be putting a C/T on my bike after all. Best I can run is a 140 and even that is tight so finding a C/T to fit is next to impossible. 1998 Harley dressers just don't have a lot of room in the back....

Same thing I've found on my Sportster sidecar rig -- our wheels & swingarms are too narrow. Except for the overly expensive 5.00R16 tire mentioned above. :giveup:

Looks like I will not be putting a C/T on my bike after all. Best I can run is a 140 and even that is tight so finding a C/T to fit is next to impossible. 1998 Harley dressers just don't have a lot of room in the back. Bummer. What I would like to add to the mix is that when some one says "You can't turn with a car tire on a bike" Ask them how the bikes with 280 or 300 tires on the back turn? Heck I saw a bike with such a wide tire on the rear it did not need a kick stand.
Wish I could run some thing that gets better then 10k on it.
Tom

Your right there. 140 will fit but no way will 150 fit on that bike without wider swingarm, fender, etc. It could be done but not very cheaply.

300 is small nowadays. I saw a busa with a 330 on it...

I am sitting in a tire shop waiting on my company truck and it hits me.... Ask about my Vstar.... 170/80-15.

Of course the store says don't got that size..... Any suggestions for a size to ask them about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when i should have been doing something useful

I am sitting in a tire shop waiting on my company truck and it hits me.... Ask about my Vstar.... 170/80-15.

Of course the store says don't got that size..... Any suggestions for a size to ask them about?

I recall the 165/80-15 was a popular size for VW Bugs. Should still be available.

It will work. I did the Honda Hoot with a toyo on the rear of my Valkyrie and rode it down the hill from Deals's Gap. It's not quite the same feel as a m/c tire. It's definitely different. I chose to go back to m/c tires and happy with them. I could put a car tire on again but I prefer m/c tires . If I had to define the difference, I'd day the the car tire was a little squirmy and took some getting used to to know it wasnt going to do anything radical. Great mileage out if the car tires. Good luck.

Back