• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shane Watts

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Guess who got a phone call today? Me, wasn't expecting that. Met him several years ago, looking for a place to have riding school. Still, pretty neat phone call.

I've got his video. Nice that you are on a face to face basis that he'd call you. From his vid he seems like a great instructor.

I have all his videos and have studied them many times while recovering from these work injuries. I'm going to take his basic riding school ONCE I heal up AGAIN from ANOTHER work injury/surgery .... :rofl:

Is he going to be doing another class soon?

I've always wanted to do a class, but I it's hard to get a feel for which level to do. Pretty certain it wouldn't be the beginner class, but other than that I don't know.

Oh.. and also the cost, but to me it would be like a vacation expense.

Is he going to be doing another class soon?

I emailed him about his 2014 schedule and he said he had a January date planned for Houston and the actual dates would be out soon.

My only hesitation is that it seems like the class is geared towards actual dirt bikes and I am not sure how good it would be on a 300+ lb dual sport.

My only hesitation is that it seems like the class is geared towards actual dirt bikes and I am not sure how good it would be on a 300+ lb dual sport.

My bet would be that you would be in for a pretty tiring day. Actually I would bet that you would be in for a tiring day if you were on a 200lb dirt bike.

I emailed him about his 2014 schedule and he said he had a January date planned for Houston and the actual dates would be out soon.

I sent Shane a letter last year asking about eventually adding adventure bike/DS skills and he replied that for the current time he was focused on the pure off-road dirt skills (which apply to DS of course). However I got the impression that it was something he was thinking about.

Last edited:
Guess who got a phone call today? Me, wasn't expecting that. Met him several years ago, looking for a place to have riding school. Still, pretty neat phone call.

What places did you bounce off of him to have it at? Last time through, couple years ago it was held in Navasota. Not sure what facility. Maybe Outlaw Trax this time? Would be nice as a little closer for me and I dont plan to overnight.

I hope someone posts back up here once it is decided and put on the schedule. I want to try and make it this time.

_

He's inquring about Outlaw Trax, if it happens I will definately spread the word.

I didn't partake but observed some of his last school at Outlaw, it's not for a 300 # d/s. As Bill said, it's a tough w/e on a dirtbike. His schools are real, not just hanging out with a legend. Some of the stuff is tough! lol Just like riding offroad.

I didn't partake but observed some of his last school at Outlaw, it's not for a 300 # d/s. As Bill said, it's a tough w/e on a dirtbike. His schools are real, not just hanging out with a legend. Some of the stuff is tough! lol Just like riding offroad.

Heck, if his class is half as hard as the video makes it look then I would be whooped and I do have a 210 lb dirt bike that is setup for it. :giveup:

Outlaw Trax has a LOT of sand. I rode a KLR around the trails a few times some years back. I was wiped out by the time I made it back to the pit area. I then did it on a KTM 400 EXC and it was MUCH easier. Recently I did it on a KTM 250 two stroke and that was fantastic. The XR 80 was fun too but REALLY needed decent rear suspension for my weight...

I cannot remember where I read it but somewhere on-line I read an after action report of his basic school. The fellow wrote that Watts would not allow students to hide in the back when the training got a little hairy. The fellow talked about the logs and being intimidated by the obstacles. He said Watts did a very good job getting students over their fear.

Shane Watts is registered on TWT. He's posted before and perhaps he'll drop in.

Last edited:
Shane Watts is registered on TWT. He's posted before and perhaps he'll drop in.

I think it is his publicist that registered using his name and has posted a few times.

FWIW, I don't think he's coming to Outlaw. But there will be a Houston area school.

"Dirt Wise" coming to Skull Creek
Jan. 31/Feb 1 (Fri/Sat) - "In-Depth" School, Houston, TX
(Instructor: Jason Thomas Total Cost: $350, $100 Deposit to register)

Back