• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I've had issues with getting some gpx files (ones created with Honda's route software) to work on my Montana and have used a GPX converter to fix whatever Garmin doesn't like about the files. Why you need convert a gpx file to a gpx file to get it to work on Garmin; I'll never understand.
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input?convert_format=gpx

I started using furkot.com for route planning and discovered that furkot will export routes and tracks in both gpx AND "Garmin gpx". As you said, the differences are a mystery to me.

I've had success importing .gpx routes onto my Zumo 550 using an SD memory card. On the SD card, create a folder named "Garmin", then a subfolder inside named "GPX". (Garmin\GPX) Copy your .gpx files into the subfolder named GPX.

To load the route(s) onto the Zumo 550...

• Power down the Zumo 550
  • Insert the SD card into the Zumo 550
  • Power on the Zumo 550
  • At the New data found|manage prompt, choose Yes
  • Follow the prompts to see the Route(s)
  • Select the Route(s)
  • Select Import
  • Follow prompts to complete and resume Zumo 550 power up sequence

Last edited:
Yes there is a setting that you can set to have it prompt you if you would like it to recalculate or not on most Garmin’s, I’m not sure how to do it on a Zumo but some one should be able to tell you.
You also have to have the same maps, and route preferences in basecamp and on the GPS.

I'm about ready to chunk this thing.

I got the gpx file created as a route in BaseCamp, then uploaded it to my Garmin GPS, it said it found a new route, import route, open route, start route, it works a while, then starts directing me to the end on its on route.

Is there some recalculation setting I have to turn off somewhere?

Yes there is a setting that you can set to have it prompt you if you would like it to recalculate or not on most Garmin’s, I’m not sure how to do it on a Zumo but some one should be able to tell you.
You also have to have the same maps, and route preferences in basecamp and on the GPS.

On the Zumo 550 you can set the Recalculation Mode to *Auto, * Prompted, or *Off. Probably want *Prompted or *Off. Steps for this are...

1. From the main menu, tap the Wrench (bottom-right)
  2. Navigation option
  3. Recalculation Mode
  4. Choices then are *Auto, *Prompted or *Off.
I'm guessing yours had the the Recalc Mode set to *Auto.

It's worth remembering that for Garmin (and a lot of other things) that motorcycles are not the central focus of their development. One might suspect that only a few Garmin street users are specifying the roads they want to take rather than asking the system to just take them to their end point. Garmin will get your where you want to go, but for the DS and ADV rider there are a lot of features that need to be disabled before it will work as planned on the map. TossingLead's comments on using the same maps and route preferences on both devices are critical and to the point. Plan on spending some serious time learning Basecamp.

Thanks, I believe you are correct. I changed it to prompted for now so i can see if it is trying to do that with GPX routes.

I made the bad assumption that if I plotted a specific route via a GPX file that recalc wouldn't apply, but apparently that's not the case.

I was getting burned by that setting too. Woodbutcher held a GPS clinic at one the of Big Bend rallys and that one tip made all the difference in the world.

I have always been able to plug my Garmin 550 into my computer via USB cable. My Zumo shows up like any USB drive. There is a folder titled USB on the sumo. You can upload GPX files there.

You can also load the onto an SD card and insert it into the Zumo. My unit will automatically find the GPX files.

Back