• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yet another carb question-09 KLR 650

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Schaefer
Yet another carb question.

I've rebuilt single barrel carbs a bunch of times, but this has me stumped. So I'm coming to the experts for advice.

After failing at cleaning/rebuild a third time, I did a ton of reading. I realized I may have misplaced the jet needle. I never saw the thing or realized it came out. This is a total blind spot in my carb world.

I've attached a pic of what I THINK it's supposed to look like.
On the Gen 2 KLRs is the jet needle supposed to stick up in the barrel of the carb?
Are you supposed to be able to see it when it's installed?
Is it the same for Gen 1 and Gen 2?

The needle jet part# from Kawasaki is 16017
I read that the part is interchangeable with the Harley Davidson CVK40 needle jet part# 27100-88

I tried the HD part as it's $9 compared to the Kawasaki part at $36. The part does not fit in the hole past the threads for the main jet.

If someone if locale and an expert on KLR carbs, I will buy you a 6 pack of beer- ****, even a nice 6 pack or even a bottle of your choice if you go through this with me.

Obviously, I can take it in to a shop, but I want to figure out what I'm missing.

A little back ground info.
1st time: I pulled and cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air. It ran really crappy and only when I gave it throttle. Would not idle. Lots of exhaust in the garage.

2nd time: Pulled and cleaned in ultrasonic cleaner with 50/50 pinesol and water. Installed a brass enricher nut, All Balls carb rebuild kit and de-vacuumed the fuel petcock.
EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS

3rd time around: ultrasonic cleaner with Simple Green Pro HD.
EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS

4the time: Tried the Harley needle jet. Won't fit.
Need jet location from internet pic.jpg

Needle jet not whowing in my gen 2 carb.jpg

Needle jet .jpg

Thanks for the link. I've pored through that thread before to no avail. This time around I found a different youtube video that showed the jet needle. Like I said, this was a black hole in my carb world, so maybe it was in the other videos.

For the record, the best KLR650 rebuild video is a 3 part series by Superdoo.
[ame="https://youtu.be/YUHbq07qcCk"]CVK40 Carb Overhaul Video #1 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/NKXQ4EJnya0"]CVK40 Carb Overhaul Video #2 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/rUrWNugrsrs"]CVK40 Carb Overhaul Video #3 Rev 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Ordering the stock KLR jet needle.

The Harley Davidson cross over just doesn't fit. I'm reasonably assured this will fix the problem. If not...

I'll report back.

Yeah the jet needle is what the diaphragm pulls up and down, The needle jet is typically pressed into the carb in some fashion and it's what the needle rides inside of.

Only some of the Harley CVK40 parts are interchangeable, not all of them are.

Just for future reference, if the bike has a hard time idling after it has sat for a few weeks, it is usually the idle/pilot jet that is the problem. I gave up trying to clean them with fine wire because I got tired of having it all back together only to find I did not get it clean enough. They are cheap. So I just bought 3-4 to keep on hand. Whenever I had that issue, I just pulled the gunked one and replaced it. Worked every time and saved me a LOT of hassle. I did the ultrasonic cleaner thing with pinesol as well, that never worked to get that jet clean, but it make the rest of the carb look brand new!

Just for future reference, if the bike has a hard time idling after it has sat for a few weeks, it is usually the idle/pilot jet that is the problem. I gave up trying to clean them with fine wire because I got tired of having it all back together only to find I did not get it clean enough. They are cheap. So I just bought 3-4 to keep on hand. Whenever I had that issue, I just pulled the gunked one and replaced it. Worked every time and saved me a LOT of hassle. I did the ultrasonic cleaner thing with pinesol as well, that never worked to get that jet clean, but it make the rest of the carb look brand new!
The TW has a tiny almost microscopic pilot jet. I keep a spare handy because it clogs easily.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back