• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

West Nile Virus

10-95

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I put off posting this to protect his privacy but one of our guys was diagnosed with West Nile Virus. He is now partially paralyzed. Funny that in this day and age someone can be knocked down by a mosquito.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/3515466.html

BPD Sergeant Paralyzed by West Nile

Updated: 2:41 AM Aug 8, 2006
Steve Fullhart

The Brazos County Health Department continues to track three human cases of the West Nile Virus. One of the victims is a veteran Bryan police officer. Sergeant Donnie Manry has been treated since Friday and his case is among the most serious you'll find for West Nile.

Last week, everything was normal for Manry, but over about three days, the Bryan PD veteran of more than two decades began getting back pain, then a fever, and then, the unthinkable.

"My ability to walk and move decreased significantly each day," Sgt. Manry said. "The fever got higher, I hurt worse, and all of a sudden, I couldn't walk."

Since Friday, Manry has been paralyzed from the waist down, a man born to patrol Bryan's streets immobilized for a once-unknown reason. But tests have confirmed West Nile, and some of the rarest and near-worst case symptoms of it.

"I have the sensation, but I don't have any motor skills," Sgt. Manry said. "You can look at them [his legs], but they won't work."

According to the Centers for Disease Control's website, only one in 150 people with West Nile have serious symptoms. "The severe symptoms can include high fever, headache, neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness, vision loss, numbness and paralysis," the site reads. "These symptoms may last several weeks, and neurological effects may be permanent."

Contrast that with the nearly 20 percent of people who carry the disease but only experience mild fever, head and body aches and nausea. That leaves some 80 percent of humans with West Nile who show absolutely no symptoms.

And according to the CDC, people over the age of 50 are more likely to develop serious symptoms if they don't receive treatment.

Progress for Manry now is very slight movement of his toes and feet, something he has achieved during his three days at St. Joseph Rehabilitation Center.

"I guess the best word to describe it is encouraged," said Manry's wife, Stephanie, "because he's gone from not moving his toes hardly at all to at least wiggling them back and forth."

But for a disease lacking a definitive cure, Sergeant Manry's treatment now is pain killers, hours of rehab and prayer that normal can be achieved again.

"It's pretty hard when you're sitting there, playing with the kids in the backyard one minute, and literally, four days later, all of a sudden, you can't walk," said Manry, choking back tears.

His fate is unknown, but when asked where he'd like to be in a week, Sgt. Manry gave not a place, but a feeling: "Just better."

The support of his friends and colleagues has meant the world to him. "They have no idea how much it helped to at least keep my spirits positive," he said.

"We've been keeping up the prayers for him," said Jeff Peters, a fellow Bryan PD officer. "Everybody's hopeful that he'll pull out of it, and I think he's looking a lot better than what he was."

The visits have been constant from people like Peters, who got his field training from Manry 13 years ago. For Bryan PD, Peters says this rare and powerful case of West Nile has brought the issue to their forefront.

"We've pretty well preached it at every shift briefing," Peters said. "Everybody's got new cans of spray. We hose down pretty regularly."

And for the Manry family -- Donnie, his wife and three kids -- their message is that West Nile, now prevalent across the region, can affect even the healthiest and strongest.

"It can happen to anybody, even a young, fit person," said an emotional Stephanie. "I just really ask everyone to take precautions, because I would never have thought it could happen to our family."

"People need to know that it can happen to you," added Sgt. Manry. "They need to listen. I can't stress that enough."

Take it from one crime-fighter in a major fight for his health, one whose best medicine might be optimism.

"We're going to get through it, and he's going to walk out of here," Stephanie said. "He's going to walk out."

To help prevent West Nile, use mosquito repellent with DEET, wear long sleeves and pants outside along with repellent at dusk and dawn, and clear all standing water near your home.

For much more on the disease, visit the CDC's West Nile website:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/index.htm

Here's wishing Sergeant Manry a full recovery. That's a tough break.

:tab The father of a friend here in town contracted it last fall. He was probably in his 70's. At first they thought he had a stroke. The Huntsville Docs were worthless and they finally got him down to Houston. Intense swelling of the brain. He never fully recovered and had permanent brain damage. He finally died a few months ago from an unrelated cause. He lived only a few blocks from us. Needless to say, with Sarah out playing in the yard and getting the occasional mosquito bites, we were a bit freaked.

:tab I do hope your bud gets better with no permanent effects. That has to be exceedingly hard to go through. It is great that he has so many people supporting him and his family!

You're right about the doctors. There are so few cases that they don't know what to do or what will happen. Lucky for him his doctor realized this and they got someone who does have experience to come in.

I'm going to see him this PM. One of the guys says he moved his leg yesterday so maybe he'll get better???

10-95 said:
I'm going to see him this PM. One of the guys says he moved his leg yesterday so maybe he'll get better???
Here's hoping that you will have good news to report.
God speed.

Tourmeister said:
:tab The father of a friend here in town contracted it last fall. He was probably in his 70's. At first they thought he had a stroke. The Huntsville Docs were worthless and they finally got him down to Houston. Intense swelling of the brain. He never fully recovered and had permanent brain damage. He finally died a few months ago from an unrelated cause. He lived only a few blocks from us. Needless to say, with Sarah out playing in the yard and getting the occasional mosquito bites, we were a bit freaked.

:tab I do hope your bud gets better with no permanent effects. That has to be exceedingly hard to go through. It is great that he has so many people supporting him and his family!

Yep, its the kids I worry about. If I get those symptoms, I'm heading for the ER and FAST!

Prayers going out for the Sgt.

Lee

We had a horse in the barn with West Nile Virus and after a week of intense treatment it got over it and fully recovered. My horses are vaccinated because as strange as this is, they have had a vaccination for horses for about three years now but still nothing for humans.
A farrier and husband of a co-worker also had it three years ago but his immune system was able to fight it off as he was too stubborn to go to the doctor. To know for sure, you have to have a spinal tap done and he plain refused, he had rather waited for the case of an emergency.

I hope your buddy fully recovers and I am sending best well-wishes from Houston.

I hope he has a speedy recovery. My wife won't let me or my son out of the house in the evenings when the little vampires are out feasting. We're going to ride our bikes at Lake Bryan this weekend and you can bet she's going to bathe us in Off before we go. Scary stuff. Let's just pray it doesn't get worse for him or anyone else. I HATE mosquitos! :biggun:

I wish him all the best and pray he has a recovery. Kinda makes me nervous having lived in mosquito country all my life, on the coast. Heck, Clute even brags about it, has a mosquito festival. :rolleyes: How long can a guy dodge diseases like that living here before it catches up. But, thinking' about it, I don't know anyone around here who ever got encephalitis or yellow fever or malaria or anything like that.

You want skeeters, go to Aransas refuge in the fall for bow season. Never again will I do THAT!

I became very ill two weeks ago and I was lucky that all tests came back negative for west nile and miningitis. It ended up being a bad case of pneumonia however the dotors were very concerned at the time that I had west nile or miningitis so they tested for them. Believe me having them do the spinal tap was not that bad compared to how I felt.

Donnie has started moving his right leg now. He has been able to lift his left leg for a few days. Doc say probably 3 weeks or so more in the Rehab building at St Joseph Hospital, then home and more rehab from home. They still don't know if he will regain all the use of his legs. He and his family are hopeful. I know his police career is over.

I've been out of town and haven't been by in a while but I plan on stopping by on my day off which is Wednesday.

Thanks for the thoughts. I know he appreciates it.

One of the west nile deaths here in D/FW (this one in Tarrant County) was the father of a friend of my parents. I believe he was in his 70s and lived in Hurst. He just "didn't want to go to the doctor"....so he ended up dying.

Glad your friend/co-worker is showing signs of improvement :mrgreen:

Back