• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Education of a Sherpa

Are you thinking of the Protaper SE bars (7/8") or the fat bars? I have the SE's and have used them on a couple of bikes. I like them a lot and as much as I tried I couldn't bend them. They do have a cross bar though and the fat bars don't. The reason I bring it up is that the mounts for the handguards are different for fat bars or constant diameter 7/8" standard size bars. So if you are thinking of the fat bars you may want to get both at the same time so you don't have to get new mounts later.

The SE bars made a difference in vibrations on both the bikes I put them on, btw.

:scratch: :shrug:

This is all getting confusing. :lol2:

Not sure, I guess I need to investigate this more!

There are two bars, as Rusty commented: fat bar (larger diameter) and the SE (7/8") bar. The latter has a cross-bar which adds stability and strength to the bar and if not equals strength of the SE, then pretty darn close. Going to a fat bar can complicate things because anything clamped onto the bar requires a clamp big enough to accommodate the larger diameter of that bar. Thus, often new clamps for everything is required, which increases the cost of switching bars.

:scratch: :shrug:

Well, standard bars are constant diameter 7/8". Usually steel with a welded on crossbar. They tend to bend easily and transmit vibrations. Aluminum it much better at not transmitting vibration. Someone had the bright idea along the way to make bars out of aluminum that were 1 1/4" diameter near the middle and tapering to 7/8" out where the controls and grips are. Those bars are very strong (original Protapers, and several others) and have no crossbar. Downside is that your bar clamps are designed for 7/8" bars so you need to get adapters (which raise the bars) or a new upper triple clamp (expensive). Unless your bike has removable lower half of the bar clamp, which some bikes do, then you could just replace with bar clamps designed for fat bars. Also, the area where handguards bolt on is where the bar is tapering from 1 1/4" to 7/8" so that end of guard needs to fit a tapered bar. Hence the need for different mounts for different bars.

Anyway, besides fat bars many companies make standard diameter replacement bars out of aluminum. They use thicker aluminum to make them strong and they have crossbars on them. The advantage is that they bolt right on in place of the stock bars. They are about the same strength as fat bars and as comfortable, they just have the crossbar.

So regular Protapers are fat bars and Protaper SE (SE stands for Seven Eighths) are standard diameter.

Hope that helps.

I have the Pro-Taper CR high bend on my Strom and love them. Yes they required an adapter for them to fit on the stock clamps, but since they are dirt bike bars, the rise is shorter than the typical ATV bars so it pretty much equals out. That, and I just like the feel of dirt bike bars since that's what I grew up on.

As for the SE's versus the fat bars.... I like the fat bars, but I've heard some awesome stories about the SE's staying straight after some pretty bad get offs. I just like the original fat bars a little better. I think it's one of those Ford vs. Chevy type deals.

As for the SE's versus the fat bars.... I like the fat bars, but I've heard some awesome stories about the SE's staying straight after some pretty bad get offs. I just like the original fat bars a little better. I think it's one of those Ford vs. Chevy type deals.

Yep, I was too cheap and lazy to go with fatbars and bought the SE's. Plenty of get offs with the DRZ and never a bend. If I were really decking out a bike I'd go with fat bars and a new triple with an undermount stabilizer.

Okay, I understand now, thanks for the clarification. I want to keep it as cheap and uncomplicated as possible, so I will be getting the SE bars.

I really like that steering damper...... :trust:

What's funny is I've never really felt like I've needed one. I know I don't go as fast as others, but I've never really gotten to the limits of my WR as of yet.

My DRZ really needed it. In the sand it was horrible and the GPR made a big difference. When I got the WR250 it didn't have one and it was quite ridable in the sand. I got a mount for free though and ended up a a good deal on a new stabilizer so I went ahead and put one on the WR. I notice some difference, but wouldn't consider it a required device on it. The TA is such a pig, I don't think a stabilizer could help it in the sand.

I've never ridden a Sherpa in the sand so I wouldn't know whether it would benefit or not.

I will admit that I've found the stabilizer more useful in the woods than the sand though. It has saved me multiple times when I've bounced the handguards off of trees. It keeps the bars from making sudden direction changes.

I will admit that I've found the stabilizer more useful in the woods than the sand though. It has saved me multiple times when I've bounced the handguards off of trees. It keeps the bars from making sudden direction changes.
Don't hit trees.... :trust: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

^bump

Update on the farkles please. Did you get the rack for the panniers? Also, did you get the auxiliary tank that mounts on the tail rack? I read somewhere that the gasoline may leak from the under cap, but that the manufacturer may have fixed this already.

The larger diameters grips - really cool mod :thumb:

Thanks,

Mike

^bump

Update on the farkles please. Did you get the rack for the panniers? Also, did you get the auxiliary tank that mounts on the tail rack? I read somewhere that the gasoline may leak from the under cap, but that the manufacturer may have fixed this already.
I haven't noticed any gas leaks, but oil seeps around the cylinder gaskets are common.

Don't have the auxiliary tank yet nor a rack. I'm working on both this spring and summer.

I suppose I should post a more recent photo of it ;)

Awesome Sherpa! I put that same fender (but in black) on the sherpa "Jenn ride". Where did you get that rear rack? Ive been in the process of build/welding one up to fit the bike.
our Sherpa is very cold natured, So that carb mod is def something jenn and I will look into.

Mountain Climbing Guide for Sherpa Dummies..... Oh, wait... wrong book.

Sherpa Mods: The Beginning

P1010128.jpg

IMG_6029b.jpg

I built this rack for the back of my wife Super Sherpa. It was an old backers rack. It clamps to the Handles on the side and has a flat piece that secures at the turn signal.
picture.php

picture.php

Back