• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Checking in

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted to say hello. My name is Eric and I'm a brand new rider.

I picked up a lightly modified '02 Yamaha R6 last year and never really learned to ride it. It sat in storage all winter and I felt bad because I really wasn't all that excited about taking it out again once the weather was better.

So I got online and found a trade for something a bit more beginner friendly.

Yesterday I traded this... (2002 Yamaha R6 @ 14,000 miles)

IMG_3935.jpg

For this... (2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 @ 8000 miles)

IMG_3941.jpg

I've only gotten to ride it once around the block since then. But, I'm really happy to have a bike I want to ride and don't feel totally helpless on. The new R6 owner is a much stronger rider than I and I'm glad the bike went to a good home. Might get into sport bikes later on down the road when I'm more confident, for now the cruiser will be my main obsession. :)

EDIT - Just wanted to note I spent about 2 hours detailing my R6 before rolling it out front and trading it. The Honda got ridden maybe 50 miles in the rain/wet, so it needs a little cleaning. I absolutely love washing/waxing/polishing cars and bikes, kind of a hobby.

Welcome to the forum. Once you've taken the MSF basic Rider Course, the best thing is "seat time". Good luck and remember,

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Congrats on getting a ride you are more comfy with. Being comfy mentally with the bike is a HUGE factor in successful riding :thumb:

Welcome, I do not share your passion of detailing and polishing. Be careful and have fun.:zen:

You could be my wife!! She had an 02 Yamaha R6 for several years (but she loved it), however at 5'1" tall she struggled to touch the floor, so she traded it in for a VT750 Aero (Shaft drive) and loves that bike also, very different to the R6, but she says it gives her time to admire the scenery!!

Welcome to the club and I hope you will find a few locals to ride with.. You need to get a Dual sport and then have some real fun!! :rider:

Gary

PS if you ever get bored, come out to Seattle and I have about 12 bikes you can polish, and a boat, RV and 2 cars!! You can be in paradise for a few weeks!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. I think you'll like the Shadow. It's a good, dependable, easy-to-ride and rather forgiving bike. Good choice for building your riding skills. Find yourself a buddy to ride with (there might be one or two others in DFW); you can learn a lot the easy way from the dumb mistakes others have made ahead of you. We were all new once.

And of course, if you just can't ride the Shadow enough to keep it limbered up, I'll make the sacrifice and ride it for you. :mrgreen:

Come on up! My bike would love to be detailed. OH, and Welcome aboard!

Glad to see you joined the forum. We have a get together every friday at Burger Box off 820 and Pipeline if you want to meet some of us. I only go sporadically but there's a contingent of regulars there every week. Link

However, I don't know if I can make it this week, I have to get a ring for someone resized that night. Let me know if you need any help with the bike or riding, I'm just down the street.

Thanks guys! I definitely feel more "connected" and stable sitting on the 750.

In years past I've gone around and detailed cars on the side. Maybe I could get a local thing going and wash people's bikes for a few months out of the year haha. I need to stock back up on supplies though.

Newt, I'll keep that in mind! Friday's I usually jet out of work and back home but things have been slower lately and I've really missed going to meets. I'll let you know if I head out there! Also thanks for all the advice and recommending I join this site. Just what I needed for bike info and local support.

Here's some shadow love.
4cb8d20a-617a-0bd3.jpg

I got out of a sport-tour bike for mine. I love it so far!

Back