• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

PR 2CT Mileage?

Reaction score
I am planning a trip in May and I am trying to decide if I need a new tire before the trip. I have a PR 2CT on the rear of my 1250S with about 5400 miles on it. It looks like it has plenty of tread now, I just don't know if it has ~2K left in it. Since the tread does not cross the center of the tire, there are no TWIs to judge how much is left.

What kind of mileage are others getting with mild riding in the 1250? Anybody wear one all the way down? Also, are there any shops that will mount internet tires on the SW side of Houston/Rosenberg area?

I averaged 10,000 miles on each of my first two PR-2 sets on an FJR. Heavier than your Bandit, and some of the miles were aggressive.

PR2s on my Versys... I cut the back tire on road debris at about 9500 miles.

On both bikes the front was showing more wear than the rear at or near 10,000 miles of use.

The TWIs are off center in the sipes. They are marked by little triangles along the edge of the wear area, top of the sidewall.

I have PR3 on three bikes,,,, all lighter than yours...
So not sure its a apples to apples deal.. but I'm getting about 8k plus on a rear and 10k on the front in "spirited" use mixed with slab miles on sport bikes.

I've only ran a PR2CT on the front. It wore just a bit faster than the regular PR2. I'll give you my Logbook on tires for my Bandit. The mileage is when I put the tires on.
4043 Dunlop Road Smart Rear
6556 Dunlop Road Smart Front
12397 Bridgestone 021s
19421 Avon Storm tires
26797 PR 2s installed
40199 PR 2s , oil/filter, F Brake pads, greased center stand
52779 PR2s / rear brake pads
56806 PR2 tires, sprockets/ chain/ anti-freeze / Plugs / chk fan for operation
66823 Change back to old tires with life in them / serviced chain / Oil and Filter / Ne tire repair kit.
71228 Changed out front tire to Parilli Tourismo. Had 8631 on the Pilot Power CT2

On the changing back to old tires at 66823, I was headed out on a trip and didn't know how far or where all I was going so wanted fresh tires on. After wearing them out I put the old with with a bit over 4000 on them back on to finish them off.

It's tough to judge tire life from one region to another, one rider to another. Riding style, load and road surfaces vary enough to be a couple thousand miles either way.
That being said I've run a couple sets of both the PR2's and 3's on a (much) heavier Kawi C-14. They all lasted well over 7000 miles.
Sooooo....I would run them out.
My current set of PR3's on the B1250 lasted 9000 miles with one long tour on them and I'm not easy on them.

New set ready to be mounted. I will say this the PR3's did last a bit longer, soaked up the bumps better and were unfreaking believable in the rain compared to the 2's.
I've seen greatly varying mileage results from the new PR4's so I am sticking with the 3's for now. Stick like glue and wear like stone.:trust:

MCSS has 2's on clearance, not sure if this a good price.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/10987/i/michelin-pilot-road-2-rear-tire

Thanks for all of the responses. I feel confident I can make the trip with the tire. Since I will probably need a tire after the trip, does anyone know of any shops in the Rosneberg/Sugar Land area that will mount tires for a reasonable price if I bring the wheel in?

>> It's tough to judge tire life from one region to another, one rider to another << Really made me smile thinking back of a time when I had my '95 R11GS BMW and a friend in Arkansas had the same model. He was telling poops at a rally up there that he had a hard time getting 3000 miles out of the rear and I laughed and said I"m at about 13,000 on my rear. We were both running Mich Tourance at the time. I told him I treat my bike as though I'm broke, no aggressive stuff. Still ride that way, even more so now at my age. LOL

You are going to have to do a few burnouts before being able to call a PR 2CT toast at 7400 miles unless you really really ride hard. So that's the short answer to your question. I got about 9000 out of mine and I twist the mares ear and I am also about 340 pounds, so it's like riding 2up the whole time. Enjoy your trip and safe riding dude.

Kinda hard to do a burn out with a front. But you would have to know what surfaces and temperatures and riding styles before you can even attempt to judge how long another person's tire is gonna stay on before He decides to change it.
IMG_0990.jpg

Also, why I have to change brake pads faster than the average person.

Hi There achesley mate. I was actually responding to the guy that started the thread, blchandl2, when he said "I have a PR 2CT on the rear of my 1250S with about 5400 miles on it." Trust me, to kill a PR 2CT before 7400 miles takes some doing. Unless you are attempting to toast it aint gonna happen irrespective of temperature and road surface and I don't think that killing the rear tire is what blchandl2 has in mind when on his 2K trip.

Kinda hard to do a burn out with a front. But you would have to know what surfaces and temperatures and riding styles before you can even attempt to judge how long another person's tire is gonna stay on before He decides to change it.
IMG_0990.jpg

Also, why I have to change brake pads faster than the average person.

Thanks for all of the responses. I feel confident I can make the trip with the tire. Since I will probably need a tire after the trip, does anyone know of any shops in the Rosneberg/Sugar Land area that will mount tires for a reasonable price if I bring the wheel in?

If you feal like taking a ride to Brenham i will do it for free...i have people ship the tire to my house and then ride over and we change it here..plus you get free balancing....and as an added bonus we have great roads out here to scrub in new tires...

If you feal like taking a ride to Brenham i will do it for free...i have people ship the tire to my house and then ride over and we change it here..plus you get free balancing....and as an added bonus we have great roads out here to scrub in new tires...
I may have to take you up on that when I replace this set.:rider:

From my own experience PR2s start to square around 5-6k for me in the front and then after another 2-3k I toss em but that is with a TON of highway riding. If not squaring or just started 2k should be VERY doable! Rear!? I have one with 12k now just starting to square! Ironically the PR3 front is looking TONS better @ 8k then the 2 at 5k! Rear!? Dunno yet trying to wear out the 2 1st! :D

Every dual compound tire I've put on the front of my bandit has worn like this. Gets a pronounce ridge about an inch wide in the middle after several thousand miles. This tire ( a PR 2 ) was starting to slip coming hard into tight corners when playing in the ozarks of Arkansas once. Caused me to quit playing and make the 480 mile trip back home instead of playing a few more days. I forget the miles I had on it. Probably in the 10K miles range.
PICT0047.jpg

I got the exact same scenario here too. Mine is also wearing more on the right hand side for some reason. The ridge is very evident though. It's a BT023 with about 20000Km on.

Every dual compound tire I've put on the front of my bandit has worn like this. Gets a pronounce ridge about an inch wide in the middle after several thousand miles. This tire ( a PR 2 ) was starting to slip coming hard into tight corners when playing in the ozarks of Arkansas once. Caused me to quit playing and make the 480 mile trip back home instead of playing a few more days. I forget the miles I had on it. Probably in the 10K miles range.
PICT0047.jpg

Attachments

• 20150226_144225.jpg
    20150226_144225.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 176
Well, the hard center will stand out more if you do lots of hard running in curves.You are on the softer sides more then. Been there and done that. Also have tired different pressures and height adjustments to no avail. Sigh ! As you can see by my log of tire changes posted up there a ways, I did a few other brands before setting with RP2s. I now have a Parilli Tourismo mounted on which is not a dual compound tire. Just to see what it will do. I'm not able to do my normal LD touring anymore and not putting nearly the miles per year I generally put on this bike.
One more thing is I've been running a speedohealer on my bike with is normally set around -7% for speedometer accuracy , but, the use to be correct ometer has been running 7% slow also. If you multiply the plus 74,000 I have on this bike by 1.07 , you have the actual mileage for the tires and bike.

I got the exact same scenario here too. Mine is also wearing more on the right hand side for some reason. The ridge is very evident though. It's a BT023 with about 20000Km on.

That wear is interesting! Is one of your forks higher in the upper triple tree then the other and thus causing this from a "misalignment"!? :doh:

Pardon my ignorance......what side of the road do you drive on where you are located? It could be the crown of the road.

Here in the US , driving on the right hand side, we generally have more wear on the left due to road crown. If I were getting more wear on the right side, alignment problems.

I think you are right about this. In South Africa we drive on the left hand side of the road. So this could be due to the road crest. Another mate of mine actually mentioned this to me too right after I showed him the state of my front tire.

Pardon my ignorance......what side of the road do you drive on where you are located? It could be the crown of the road.

I had roughly 12k on a PR3 font, and about 8K on a PR4 rear, both with good life left.

Back