• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Madstad Windscreen on GSX1250FA

Swagfu

Reaction score
Got this done today. Love it and it's not as ugly as thought it would be.:clap:

20150401_144001_zpssai9rdle.jpg

20150401_143951_zpsux5b5tjy.jpg

WOW,that looks pretty nice and I know those have a lot of adjustments too,have you had a chance to ride it much and see how it feels and what kind of noise and buffeting you get,I'm sure it works great.

WOW,that looks pretty nice and I know those have a lot of adjustments too,have you had a chance to ride it much and see how it feels and what kind of noise and buffeting you get,I'm sure it works great.

I rode home...about 2 hours. Stopped to adjust it along the way. I am going back next Friday to exchange the 18" for a 20". Other than the ride home, no ride time. And there won't be til I go back on Friday. It's way better than the zero gravity touring screen I had. Took me a bit to get used to it, the way it works and the looks.

As far as buffeting goes, the last adjustment I did seemed to get rid of just about all of it. Still have some wind noise, but I think that's because I am sitting further back from the screen. But not 100% sure. The 20" screen may rectify that.

let's see the underside. how'd you mount it?

Here is a picture of the mounting system. They use a aluminum plate that is in the shape of the stock windscreen to mount the arms to. The screen attaches to the arms.

20150402_165520_zpsgbsfkyze.jpg

20150402_165526_zpsgkvdudak.jpg

Don't mind the mess in the garage

Ya,that seems like a real nice setup,i'm sure you will have to play around with it for a while to get it right for you and the taller windscreen will probably help to get it the way you want it.

Madstad is good quality and fantastic adjustability, but also comes with a near $300 price tag

Madstad is good quality and fantastic adjustability, but also comes with a near $300 price tag

It is 3 times as thick as the Zero Gravity. Real quality. It was about $220 since I rode in and paid cash. They give a discount for cash. I have spent more than that trying to find the right windscreen. Heck, I have 3 or 4 in the closet. I was going to give the Givi a try then figured for $100 more I would have the "solution" to my problem. Worth it to me.

I have a Givi touring screen on mine. It makes a lot of noise, but windflow is around my helmet and I ride with plugs. So it works out well. I bought it for $50 on ZG ebay outlet

Unfortunately, Madstad is a bit far away for me to drop in and pay cash :)

Swagfu,

Which tint is that on your Madstad screen?

I bought the light smoke AND the super dark, "Harley" tint, but I haven't tested the super dark tint yet. It looks great on the bike, but how is your vision through the dark tint, and does it distract you as you turn?

Thanks.

The only thing I have against tinted shields is that IF you do a bit to traveling and need to get through some bad weather and NEED to tuck in behind the shield and those Dark Storm clouds along with driving rain. You cannot see worth a darn. Ditto on dark face shields if you don't stop and change them out before getting to a big storm. Promise you, this is from experience and getting myself in pretty good trouble by using heavy tint on shields and visors in my younger days. ;-)

Swagfu,

Which tint is that on your Madstad screen?

I bought the light smoke AND the super dark, "Harley" tint, but I haven't tested the super dark tint yet. It looks great on the bike, but how is your vision through the dark tint, and does it distract you as you turn?

Thanks.

I have the extra dark grey. I haven't done much looking through the screen. I am not one to "tuck" in behind it. This one may be different as it is much higher than the ZG touring. I look over it about 2 inches right now, but the 20 will help me get that down to about an inch. It's not really distracting to me as I turn, but I did have to get used to it. Fortunately for me, I don't get stuck in the rain very often. One time I did with a super dark tinted shield on my helmet and it was a little less than comfortable riding with it on. Now I ride with a clear shield and sunglasses usually. I do have two different pair of glasses, one dark and one yellow.

Here is a couple of pics from today's ride. The 20" is much better than the 18" was. It allows me to adjust a bit more and works better. Only rode with it for a couple of hours. Stopped one time to adjust and it was pretty good. May need a few more adjustments before I find the sweet spot for me. Definitely better than anything else I have had on the bike so far. And I got to meet Mark today. He is the one who actually switched out the shield. What a great guy his and easy to talk to.

20150410_131506_zpsnltzgxk0.jpg

20150410_131516_zpsawp0d9yx.jpg

Last edited:
After a nine hour ride, I'm very happy with mine.

I bought my GSX1250FA instead of an FJR1300 due to the weight savings, and the only thing that I wish I had was a bigger screen, and this MadStad is fantastic.

looks like they have altered the bracketry from the one i have, yours has quick adjust knobs, and different brackets.

Attachments

• Picture 318.jpg
    Picture 318.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 611
The knobs certainly make it easy to adjust. I see yours is mounted to the windscreen. How long have you had it?

had the screen since 2010, its been on 2 bandits and 2 gsx 1250, never alter it, a good thing really as its a bit of a pain to do as there are 8 bolts to get at. but it is massively adjustable and well made.

Nice....are you looking through it or over it...How tall are you... so no wind buffeting, top, or side sweep in.... no windshield crack or fracture at mounting location form the wind.... any imbalance at top super speed.
Now only if they can make it motorized so adjustment is on the fly...that would be the top

BTW... that seat looks nice... Is that a new seat or reupholstered.. and if so how much...link... any reviews of yours on the saddle....
thanks..

Nice....are you looking through it or over it...How tall are you... so no wind buffeting, top, or side sweep in.... no windshield crack or fracture at mounting location form the wind.... any imbalance at top super speed.
Now only if they can make it motorized so adjustment is on the fly...that would be the top
Can't answer for OP's height and feel, but Madstad makes very high quality stuff.

As far as motorized adjustments on the fly go... That's when you move to sport-tourer category like FJR, Concours, ST1400, etc. Bandit is more a muscle bike. That would be the best way to describe it. It's akin to a pony car.

BTW... that seat looks nice... Is that a new seat or reupholstered.. and if so how much...link... any reviews of yours on the saddle....
thanks..

I look over it and am 6' tall. It is fully adjustable. You can look through it if you wanted too, or you could put it in the lowest position to get more wind on you. The choice is yours to make. The ride is much quieter, so much so that I rode today with no ear plugs just to see how well it does and was really surprised that I didn't need them. As far as top speed goes, I have been to about 70 with it and it is as advertised. I do not regret getting this one bit. Oh and no cracking. The shield is very thick and the system mounts very nicely.

As far as the seat goes, I sent my stock seat to http://laamseats.com/ . The seat is awesome and I have no complaints whatsoever. The workmanship is top notch and Seth was awesome to work with. The stock seat is a two piece seat. He made it a one piece and gave me a little more room. The seat and the windscreen are two of the best modifications I have done. Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

I have this setup and while it's not racy looking it sure make the longer rides way more comfy. I love it.

My experience with madstad is positive but they tend to undershoot on screen height. Parabellum is generous with the offer of cutting it down for free if it is too tall. Madastad offered a good deal on the knob if you already own their other generic bracket. I have parabellum with madstad on my vstrom and am moving that direction with my bandit.

Back